POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 10:01:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639066
  • Total Topics: 48514
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice Wanted: serodiscordant relationship  (Read 1377 times)

Offline london553

Advice Wanted: serodiscordant relationship
« on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »
Hey all,

I was diagnosed with HIV in April this year. Obviously it was a huge shock but I did my research and carried on with life. At the end of May I met this amazing guy (HIV negative) and told him about my illness. He completely accepted me and we started a beautiful relationship. Last week, he told his parents about me and the HIV and they do not want him to see me anymore. Not wanting to upset his family, he has ended the relationship.

I feel so completely frustrated. There is nothing I can do! I can't compete with his parents or tell him what he should or should not do, can I? Being with him has massively helped me accept the HIV (I even started meds whilst we were together). Now I feel like I have gone back to square 1.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in this position and what they did?

Cheers guys
London553

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Advice Wanted: serodiscordant relationship
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »
You can't have a relationship with a man under the thumb of his family, neg or poz, you always lose.

The HIV rejection thing is hard, yes, hard, I know from personal exp this, esp cos you can't really tell if people are telling the truth or making excuses for their own fear always. But in the end the person you'll meet will be truly amazing, and love you for who you are.

But mainly, my first point.

I personally would have no qualms about telling him about the family thumb, cos if it ain't HIV it'll be something else that keeps him from a real relationship, and tempermentally I like to occupy the moral high ground to soothe my wounded pride, but really, you owe him no favours in life coaching eh?

Good luck and a hug.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
Congrats on moving forward with life after becoming poz.  What you are describing is why I tend to shy away from neg guys.  My suggestion is to say nothing and focus on you.  If it's bugging you it's probably eating him alive.  At some point he's going to have to reconcile that his parents wishes have crused a relationship he may have been happy with.

Life has a funny way of working out in the end.  In the meanwhile, it's important that you keep taking your meds, hang out with friends, and let him sort out his family issues.  I know my parents wouldn't hold much sway with me, but to each their own. 
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
Hi London,

Sorry things didn't work out, but as others have suggested it's probably best not to get involved with a grown man who doesn't make his own decisions in life.

I was diagnosed in 1988. Iíve never been in a relationship with another HIV+ person. I had one long term partnership with an HIV- man for ten years and I am currently with another four years.

If there is actual love and both of you are adult enough, you being HIV+ will not prevent you from being with someone who isnít. Other things might, but not a virus.

Donít give up. There are still ďa few good menĒ left out there.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »
I agree with the others. For awhile there I thought maybe you were teenagers. I am poz and my new b/f is neg, things are wonderful, not to say that this is always the case, and it may not always be that way for me either. I am just enjoying it while I can. I hope that your guy can break the leash from his folks and go on with life very soon.

Good luck
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »
Hey London,

I've had 3 BF's since my AIDS diagnosis in 1996 and all three are still negative.  The first one wanted me because people living with HIV in a Title I EMA received a federal grant for housing support and he didn't think he should pay a share of the rent.  He didn't last very long...

The second was a fellow who came looking for me because his lifetime lover had died of AIDS (in his arms).  That was 7 years before we met and we spent a few years going to holidays and parties and life was such fun.

Seven months ago, I met Walter on a dating site and I think the Sun rises and set every day to make him happy.

My best gal friend met a man on E Harmony, the one with the free personality profiles.  After 3 years, she is completely involved with his mother trying to control her 50 year old son's life.  I told my friend, her BF and his mother issues were stronger than any of his past relationships, his mother knows how to push all of his buttons and she does.  There comes a time in our lives the parents need to chill and strt bitching about becoming grand parents.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »
There is alot of fear for a hiv negative partner to deal with. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

ďNeither look forward where there is doubt nor backward where there is regret. Look inward and ask not if there is anything o

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.