POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 10:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 619793
  • Total Topics: 46690
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Explosive Poo and other unfortunate bodily functions  (Read 4415 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Explosive Poo and other unfortunate bodily functions
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »
WARNING: THE FOLLOW POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR IMMATURE AUDIENCES. ;)

I just read about incontinence and irregular bowels in LTS, but I can't post there, so here we are...

Mini has not had "normal" poop since she was born.  At the age of 8, it is still very loose and explosive.  When she feels the need to go, it is an immediate need and not something she can wait for.  Then, she's in the bathroom for an un-natural amount of time.  Even on Fibersure, double fiber bread, and 1000mg of fishoil / day, it doesn't get any better.

She's also got issues with her bladder.  Her pee is super yellow all the time and she goes many, many times everyday.  We keep talking to her PID, but, like everything else, to no avail.

I know that poop problems are a dime a dozen with HIV, but has anyone had issues with bladder / kidney issues?

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
    • http://winiroo.synthasite.com/
Re: Explosive Poo and other unfortunate bodily functions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
Problems with HIV positive children are not always the same as with adults.
On children born positive it can be especially rough because they did not have the benifit of developing a good immune system.

My son had an enlarged heart. I was told that is common with positive children. I would not be surprised if other abnormalities where common.

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=winiroo&page=winiroo&album=21
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.” Margaret Thatcher

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »
Pancrecarb helped me a lot, in addition to loperamide.  Both are covered by Ryan White in PA.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »
hey MUM ,
               talk to your doctor about  loperamide .

IT IS A LIFE SAVER !

I live   more than 40 miles from nowhere in every direction  and if I take

two  2mg.  capsuls I usually feel normal ALL  DAY !

The only issue I have with  loperamide is that it can and will cause

Diverticulitous , IF you over do it !

I usually take a few days off of it ,just to be comfortable !

But believe me , it bring back a normal way of life !

I travel with a 5 gal bucket in my truck ,with all the assorted towels and whatever !

I do NOT drink very much soda ! and too much sugar makes for blast offs .
but as we know all systems are different !

much luck with the little one , and  you

karl

I do hope the little one drinks LOTS of water !

" Live and let Live "

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »
I've written down both meds and have added them to the list of "stuff" to talk about next Friday.  She does drink lots of water.  They are only allowed milk for breakfast, and a cup of kool-aide (made with Splenda) for lunch and dinner.  Other than that, they are all only allowed to drink water the rest of the day. 

It does seem that no matter what meds you're on, the bowels always suffer.  I'll also ask about doing a tinkle test  because of her bladder issues.  Her creatine levels have been ok, but she's been tested for everything else, so what the heck.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Mum :-*
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »
I used to have explosive poo years ago, long before I was hiv positive, when I lived in the US.  Now I have it only maybe 1/4 of the time.  Not to say incontinent, but the kind of situation where you're always rushing in a panic to the toilet, or looking for one desperately while driving on the highway. 

If anything I'm finding that the Sustiva/Truvada combo I'm on is causing me to be somewhat constipated, and certainly flatulent at times.

I do think that overall a meat-and-potatoes diet.. perhaps with a good deal of cheese, does reduce looseness of stool.  Of course I don't like that kind of diet, but there you go.

I remember one time I gave my poor father a yoghurt - he was curious what it was - and the old chap was firing liquid blasts into the commode all night!
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
    • http://winiroo.synthasite.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
There are some antidiarrheal medicines that are over the counter that usually work just as well.
You could try Imodium or Kaopectate.

With the imodium which is loperamide btw I usually take two with my first loose bowel and 1 pill for every loose bowel afterward until it goes away. Usually the first two take care of the problem. I don't take the second dose if the next bowel movement is relatively close to when I took the pills. I make sure that there has been plenty of time for it to get in my system.

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=winiroo&page=winiroo&album=21
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.” Margaret Thatcher

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Hi,

Try to rule out other causes such as lactose intolerance and other food allergies. Apart from having an "unstable" stomach due to meds and unusually dark pee due to Reyataz I have also developed a sensitivity towards lactose since I started with the meds.

Or it could simply be regular IBS. I suggest talking to a dietist (is that the English term?) who can give you tips.

Offline Roie

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
I find that a half a teaspoon of Indian Cinnamon taken 4 times a day helps with keeping my stomach in order. It helps my dirreah almost immediately.
I mix it into my coffee. Its rather gross, but the milk helps to make it taste better by taking away the bitterness. I have been drinking coffee and cinnamon for a year. I have gotten used to it. On its own in tea or black coffee its very gross.

It can also be mixed into Yoghurt, icecream, or anything that will disguise the taste.

It must be Indian cinnamon. I get mine from an Indian cooking food shop.
I am convinced that its the cinnamon that helps my stomache ailments. If I miss my dose the following day I will have diahrea. A cup of cinnamon coffee solves this problem.

Perhaps its worth a shot...
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.