POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636386
  • Total Topics: 48294
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Treatment Interupt NOT recommended but used by some SHARE your experience  (Read 1477 times)

Offline bimazek

Treatment Interruption NOT recommended because there can be many complications and even death, but it seems common, or if not common used by some and recommended by some Dr.s even now when the statcato studies proved it is dangerous...  Please SHARE your experiences -- how long were you off, why, what infections or medical problems you had, what was the time before the virus rebounded?  Please share only post 1996 post HAART stories.

I am wondering why, for example my friend who is 65 yrs old, his Dr. told him a year ago to go off meds now for a year and a half, also a young man, 30 i met last week said his cholesterol was going way up so he went off meds with his doctors blessing ---

is the message of staccato study that it is VERY DANGEROUS to take a drug holiday not getting out to all the Dr.s  or what is going on?  from a practical level.

also has anyone been infected with a resistant strain from someone else, while they were on HAART, how did that happen, and what is the consequences?

from what i have read -  i do not believe anyone should take any Treatment Interruption at all.
Meds mean meds for life, every day. 

Please share your experiences.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
don't mean to hijack but...did you start meds yet?
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
is the message of staccato study that it is VERY DANGEROUS to take a drug holiday

Erm, no

The message from most recent treatment interruption studies is more sober, but still sobering.

The risk of death and other serious illness, probably because of inflammatory effects of resurgent viral replication, is greater than expected. Perhaps (roughly speaking) 2 x as great compared to being on combo in terms of death or serious event eg heart attack.

Overall, the absolute risk is still low. The factors contributing to the risk being higher in particular individuals still being worked out.

It's hard to be definitive because different treatment interruption studies do not quite compare eg in terms of methods, when and how to take a break.

But, for me, the headline messages at the moment is treatment interruptions seem to increase the risk of death or serious illness compared to staying on treatment, even if, globally, this risk is still low.

I do have a sense you are fretting about this unnecessarily, like you're looking for some aspect of treatment to worry about.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Mini's PID suggested that she take a med break so that she could get a low VL and then have another genotyping done to include meds that weren't avaliable when she had one in Jan. 2002.  Doc seemed to think that it wouldn't harm her and with labs every 2wks we could catch the VL while it was small and put her right back on meds.  But, I will say that we've decided not to do it.  She's doing well on her current regiment and we're just not willing to risk it. 

There are those who took a break and did OK.  There are others who took a break and didn't do so well.  I, personally, wish that Mini could take a break from the meds, but right now, it's just not an option we're willing to explore.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.