POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23588
  • Latest: obie1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640593
  • Total Topics: 48656
  • Online Today: 240
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: still worried  (Read 6509 times)

Offline juju

still worried
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
 :'(hi hope u can help i had broken condom incident beg of april im female .iv had a3 mth neg test but since then had herpes outbreaks in mouth inside my mouth started on roof then on gums one goes another comes really scared as net says increase in herpes could be hiv never had them inside my mouth before only on lip twice a yr .iv also just read athred on here that sum girl got apos after 3 mth neg the one that was losing weight how often does this happen i also feel like im losing weight . also at 3 and half  weeks past exposure i had pains in all joints diarrea which lasted aday and sore throat joint pains were there 2 weks will i turn posotive and how come that girl did thats wahat scares me also these herpes in mouth thankyou iv had these herpes for 5 weeks now

Offline juju

scared symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
the girl i was talking about is pretty sure this has really scared me do i need to test at 6 mths

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: scared symptoms
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Firstly, please keep all of your entries in this same thread. I have merged the two threads you started. Thanks for your cooperation.

The important thing in what you have written and which you seem to be ignoring because of your fears is that you tested negative at three months. That is exactly when you should have been tested for a reliable result. You ARE HIV negative. Period.

Your various symptoms including herpes have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. You need to discuss them with your doctor.

This is not an HIV situation no matter what your fears are telling you otherwise.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
juju,

For a start, the positive result reported by another member after the three month window period has NOT been confirmed. It's likely a false positive. They happen.

However, false NEGATIVES after the three month window are pretty much unheard of.

You are hiv negative. Make sure your partner is using condoms in future and you'll stay that way.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

If you do not feel well, see your doctor. Whatever is going on, it is not hiv. You have ruled hiv out as a possible cause. YOU DO  NOT HAVE HIV.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline juju

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »
thank you ann if that girl is posotive does that happen often and also i have been tested for chlamidia and gonnorea  neg thankyou for post iv been to doc and they dont no why i keep gettin them its weird never had them before thats why im worried

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
Yes, and despite your worrying and symptoms, you are STILL HIV negative. Period. Just because your doctor hasn't come up with a satisfactory explanation does not by default invalidate your negative test result.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
juju,

OK, hang on here. In your first post you state "I'm female" but in your second and third post, you speak as though you're a guy. Which is it?

Not that it really matters. No matter what the alleged exposure was, there has been a conclusive hiv negative test result and that means the person who had the testing done is hiv negative.

If you are not the person who has had the negative hiv test result and you've had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you need to have your OWN test done at three months past the date of the unprotected incident. You CANNOT go by someone eles's test result to know your own hiv status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline juju

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
sorry ann im female im talking about myself iv had a 3 mth neg test but worried about my herpes in mouth ongoing for 5 weeks i was also asking why the girl on here tested pos after 3 mth neg

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
Ann, answered that question about the woman positive test. False positives can happen and any positive result always means there has to be a re-testing to make certain. Instead of picking on the one thing to feed your fears how about focusing on the reality that you tested negative. And you woudn't have gotten a false negative at 3 months.
Andy Velez

Offline juju

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »
yes but she did get a false neg at 3 mths didnt she

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »
juju,

NO. She most likely had a false POSITIVE. She hasn't been back either, and she probably would have by now if she truly were positive.

YOU are hiv negative. End of story. Make sure you use condoms in future and you'll stay that way.

And by the way, stress will cause repeated herpes outbreaks. Stop stressing out. If you can't, see your doctor or a therapist. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:40 PM »
thanx very much ann

Offline juju

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »
im sorry im still concerned about testing what if i dont test positive till six mths i seem to be losing weight for no apparant reason also im on acyclovir for herpes inside my mouth is losing your hair a side affect because my hairs falling out

Offline juju

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
also can i get a viral load test at doc to c if i have got a virus hiv virus would it tell bet than a elisa

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »
It is highly unlikley. A viral load test is not performed until you have a documented positive antibody test as it is a very expensive test that can't be done on someone who suspects they may be positive.

jen
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline juju

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
thanx jenny how many people turn positive after 3 mth neg so worried

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »
juju,

You don't need viral load testing because we already KNOW you're hiv negative. You do not need further testing over the incident in April.

There are hundreds of things that could be causing weight loss. In your case, whatever that may be, it is NOT hiv. You do NOT have hiv. See your doctor to find out what, if anything is wrong with you.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »
I don't know how many people turn positive after 3 months of being negative. I will briefly tell you my personal timeline.

I was infected on Dec 24, 2007, became ill on Jan 3, 2008, thought it was the flu or Mono. Never suspected HIV but Dr ran test anyway. It came back indeterminate which means that within just a few short weeks after being infected I had already began to produce a some antibodies, but not enough to be considered positive. You see, when you get tested they are looking for antibodies, not the virus itself, so depending on how your body is, you may produce antibodies sooner or later, in my case it was sooner. A person can even test indeterminate indefinitely, meaning that the same antibodies keep reacting and never turn positive (when they do the test they put a drop of blood on a slab of proteins and depending  on which"bands" react  dictates your status. From the get go only one band reacted, the p18 band (you can read about the specifics of the test on the CDC website). I waited only one more week after my indeterminate test to retest and in just one week I had produced all the necessary antibodies to be considered positive. Keep in mind this is only my personal account, everyone is different. Hope this helped and didn't confuse you further.

Jen
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
jennynyc7, the following is found in the "Welcome" thread. Just to let you know if you were not aware.

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline juju

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 03:08:46 AM »
now confused i didnt tghink people could keep testing intermediate and not test pos espesially after 3 mths like jen said just how many people on here have u known turn posotive after a 3 mth neg im very worried sorry to keep askin what if i havnt produced enough antibodies

Offline juju

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 03:13:29 AM »
that will be my last question im sorry i dont want time out goin to c doc today thanx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »
juju,

I've never seen a person on this forum have a six WEEK negative turn positive at three months, let alone have a three month turn positive afterwards.

You really need to let this go. YOU are hiv negative. YOU do NOT have hiv.

Keep posting about this and you'll get that time out I warned you about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

still worried
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 08:11:02 AM »
im sorry guys still worried had a neg at 4 mths and i orderd a oral home swab test test that ws neg but iv also spoken to dr thom on there and hes says no test is 100 percent and regarding my symptoms herpes in mouth hair los weight loss and abdominal pain he says i should go and see him hes scaring me

Offline juju

Re: still worried
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »
sorry ann only that doc has scared me he from the terrence higgins trust and he seems concerned over my symptoms im goin to c a councillor in 2 weeks  to just so worriied i wont post again thanks for ur time

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »
juju,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. This is the second time we've had to merge your threads. Get with the program already.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation. You've been asked to read the guidelines before - but yet you were caught posting in someone else's thread the other day. Again, get with the program or you'll not be able to post here.

You can keep testing all you like, but your negative result is not going to change. You do not have hiv. See your doctor as he suggests - get to the bottom of what, if anythng, is going on.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about your conclusively reliable result. You do not have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »
sorry ann didnt realize id posted else where i just thought it would go to my thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »
Good that you're going to be seeing a counselor. No matter what your mind and fears are telling you to the contrary, you have reliably tested HIV negative.

You ARE HIV negative. I suggest that as a mantra when you fears spook you.
Andy Velez

Offline juju

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
thanx andy im hoping the councilor will sort me out thanx for ur help and ann x

Offline juju

here again
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
well hope im typing in rite place i had a partner for 4 mths 2 and half weeks ago i last slept with him actually it will be three this sat since wed this week iv had bad head pains in all joints and back and slight sore throat and shiverring i used condom im sure it, never broke dont think he wjaculated but wen i took condom of there was stuff on it dfont no what this is typical ars time frame worried wat do i do i asked him to test and he sed not doin that crap

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
You had condom protected sex. NO RISK..

Offline juju

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 07:13:54 AM »
im still quite worried the condom looked likedv it was still on im not sure if it had a hole in it as i had stuff on my fingers there was noth inside condom i got these pains in all joints and back 2 and half weeks since last slept with him there not get bet iv taken pain killers niot workin im just worried that is the time for ars and the fact he wont test either infact not seein him now

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 07:26:17 AM »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »
juju,

If you feel unwell, go see a doctor. You had protected intercourse and condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv.

Please re-read your entire thread. Our answers aren't going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
ann this has noth to do with rest of thread it is new incident and just worried because of timing thanx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
juju,

Your latest incident has everything to do with the rest of the thread. We've given you all you need to know about hiv infection and that information doesn't change from incident to incident. You need to learn this stuff and start applying it to your life and sexual activities on your own instead of running to us every time you have sex or feel unwell.

I specifically told you to re-read your thread so you would be reminded of this:

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Keep using condoms and keep having no less than yearly sexual health check ups and you'll be just fine where hiv is concerned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
sorry im bac im sure u read thatb post iv seen a oral surgeon and despite plenty of neg hiv test he told me the only reason i would herpes inside my mouth is because of hiv or cancer would aciclovir interfere with a hiv test or would it still show up im getting these things in my mouth every mth

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »
juju,

You need to find a new oral surgeon. The only cause of herpes is the herpes virus.

Acyclovir will not affect your hiv antibody test one way or the other.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2009, 05:51:46 AM »
hi i stupidly had unprotected sex last sat he pulled out to ejaculate so i no i have to be tested also before i slept with this guy i had tonsillitus .it went away this wed but thur of this week i had diarrea twice took immodium and it stopped also bad head and felt achy yesterday i got up with tonsillitus again hadf really bad back pain and leg pain and felt unwell im on penicillin my doc sed its tosillitus or pharingitus im so worried its ars as it came 6 days later .the guy also goes to thyland witch is y im worried does this sound like ars

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »
juju,

You had unprotected intercourse, despite everything you've learned here? You should know the drill by now - test no earlier than six weeks. If you six week result is negative, confirm that result at three months.

You know we do not discuss symptoms here. They're meaningless when it comes to diagnosing hiv - ONLY testing at the appropriate time will reliably reveal your hiv status. If you insist on coming here to list your symptoms, you'll be given a time out, window period or no window period.

Good luck with the testing and WISE UP! No glove, no love. Stop putting your life and health at risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juju

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 06:42:39 AM »
i no ann i no im soo bloody stupid i asked im to use a condom and he just carried i no its my fault i could kick myself to late now though really think iv done it this time and its my own fault ur right really think that was ars to it serves me right i no thanx for replyin though

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.