POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 05:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631610
  • Total Topics: 47811
  • Online Today: 283
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Testing is so scary now....  (Read 2388 times)

Offline dan1

Testing is so scary now....
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
First off, I know I have to test, but I jst need my risk assmt and see what I atleast should xpct...5 month ago I had three time unprotected sex at the same night with this wman that I know for a while, we went to the same college in a drunk college party. She was finish'g school and went hme so we don't even have any mre contact or talk about her sexual stry in the next day. I got panic in the mrn'n,...maybe too late for that...

I was wait'n for testing 3 mnth but at week 9 I went through scary staff...big tonsillities, big mouse sore in my upper lips and burning sensation at my anal hole (sry), feel'n that I have sm kind of ulcer. Headache and fever com'n and go all the wayfor the last 3 month now and vry small chngs in my skin, ( I have seen the skin rash of HIV but this doesn't seems like that, it is not red or visible unless you look for it)...I have this chest pain and burning sensation from my thorat all the way to my cheast (sometime painful here) down to my anus, I sometimes can't even sit for long, becasue of the pain in my anus....after I see this symptoms, I start to frk out and always postphoned my testing from one wk to one mnt to 3 month and now I am in the 5th mnth.

the ulcer in my mouth went away with 10 dys, thought that it is herps, casue I go down on her too...I test for all sti this past jan and every thing was cool...I am think'n of taking a test in cple of weks, what do you think is my risk frm explosure, I was in risk but if she is Positive, what are my chances of acquring HIV frm this night...like in percenage or smthing....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Testing is so scary now....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
dan,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. Your chance of coming out of this one time unprotected experience is very good but yes, you do need to test to know for sure. A test now will be conclusive.

There's nothing hiv specific about any of the symptoms you report. Go to your doctor to find out what, if anything is wrong with you. We cannot diagnose you here.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dan1

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
tnx ann, for the reply...I tst 4 all sti (incld HIV) neg, last jan, and this is my only xposure (unprotected). I read many site, incld this one that first symptoms are shown up in 2-6 wks interval and then went away and you will know neither you get tested or sick becasue of AIDS cplcation, I am having these symptoms start'n from 8 wks and are persistant all the last 2 mnth, gett'n serious on the thrid and fourth mnth. Can first sympoms come that late and get persistant lik this if it HIV sympomts, and also I see on some sites that the chnc of such one night xposure poses 1 in 1000 chance of infection others say 1 in 500 and 1 in 10...how come such differences. I didn't have any uncle in my penis and am circumcised...tnx won't bother mre, I believe... 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Dan,

Forget about the symptoms. Symptoms or even the LACK of symptoms will never EVER tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing will.

Take your symptoms to your doctor. We will NOT discuss symptoms here.

And get tested. Gather your cajones and take the test. Chances are excellent you get a negative result after a one time possible exposure. After all, you don't even know if she's positive.

A test now will be conclusive. DO IT.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dan1

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
God, How stupid was I ? Now even My heart is pound'g like hell and got dry mouth...scared sh¤¤¤less out... after see'g the wrd possible in italics in your last post...I don't, you think chance are i do get it frm my symptoms right...anyway, I don't know... ???

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »
Even IF the woman you were with is HIV+, (which you don't know to be so), the odds are still in your favor that you will test negative. As Ann has told you, HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to transmit from woman to man.

Odds are you're going to come out of this ok. Stop torturing yourself and go to get tested. You don't have to wait until you feel brave. You know you're going to do it, so do it and get it over with. I'm expecting a negative result.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline dan1

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »
tnx both, :-\

Offline dan1

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
Hello again,

I went to the clinic today, to my surprise --- summer vacation---, doctors are not avilable readily and the nurse told me to call some time nxt week for appnt (I am not in the main city for a while). I was just wander wheather these can be symptoms seen at almost 5th month...

- Itching all over the face, no rash thought
- back and shoulder pain at all time of bending
- thorat pain and red tosillities, I can't feel the swelling, for fear not touching it maybe
- chest and thorat burning senstaion, as if I have some kind of acid influx frm stocmach
- and mainly anus burning, as if there is ulcer in it or something ´´´this is like for long time now a month or so...

No stomach or vomiting, or nausea..almost not happened...

unitl I under go to my test plz what makes up these things, Am I showing some sero-converion symptoms at this time? Have you come accross smone who come with such kind of xposure turns out to be + in this forum....sorry for all the IFs...

tnx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »
dan,

We do not discuss symptoms here as neither the presence nor absence of symptoms will tell you a single thing about your hiv status. If you feel unwell, see a doctor.

And get that test done. You can find a testing center near you on the poz.com directory. http://directory.poz.com/

Don't bother coming back with more symptoms questions. We cannot diagnose you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dan1

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
Hi andy and ann, just one mre question....Have ever see that a person turn out to be +ve after you have said or think that the odds are good for s/he to test negative. I am still waiti'n for my appon. but the wekend was so terriable for me, i am so worried now, I am not list'n my symptoms as I have told not to bother to do that....  :(  :(   :(   :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Of the many thousands who have come here worried, over the past 8 years or so, I would say certainly less than two handfuls have ultimately tested positive.

Most who come here don't know the basics about HIV transmission and are worrying needlessly or have had very low-level risk.

Of course low risk is not the same as no risk. So the important thing for you to learn is that you must always use condoms for vaginal or anal intercourse and then be committed to do that everytime.

I still say the odds are significantly in your favor that you will test negative.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:47:33 AM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline dan1

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
I know you don't like talk'n statstics, but I was asking...from those who have high risk encounter, can you say the same amount?, casue I think mine incident is included in the high risk group. I read also that a persistant sore thorat/tonsilities problem a sign of HIV. Cause I have this starting from 7th weeks unitl now (almost about 3 month). the pain seems to go to my ears and eyes, itching and as such. Is this HIV case, that now I pass seroconversion but in the stage of those long years before full blown one? How long is HIV diagnosis person by now can live in years?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
dan,

from those who have high risk encounter, can you say the same amount?

No, we can't say the amount. Why? Not because we're being smart-arsed, but because we really have no way of knowing. Anyone who tells you differently is wrong.

Millions of people have unprotected intercourse every day, with someone whose hiv status they don't know. This is high risk behaviour. Out of all those millions who do this, only a small fraction will actually test over their risk. Some of those people will be ok and hiv negative afterwards, but some of those people will end up hiv positive and not know because they didn't test. How many people? We have no way of knowing.

You just can't put numbers on this stuff. Not with any certainty. We also cannot do studies on it because there is no way an ethical study can be designed to find out how many unprotected encounters will produce how many infections.

However, with what we know about how hiv transmission is accomplished, we can say that the odds are in your favour of coming out of this one time incident hiv negative. What we can't do, is put any specific number on it.

This is THE LAST lengthy reply I'm going to give you. You can test now for a conclusive result, so stop speculating about symptoms and just get tested. I've already given you a database of testing centers, find one that is open and go TEST. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms are totally meaningless and will never tell you your hiv status.

GO TEST. There's nothing more we can do for you here, the ball is in your court.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.