POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 04:36:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24008
  • Latest: mampaps
Stats
  • Total Posts: 646660
  • Total Topics: 49263
  • Online Today: 276
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A star was born  (Read 4369 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
A star was born
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
Hi everyone

As the title says A STAR WAS BORN at this years AMG in the shape of a beautiful little girl called Mini, she stole the heart of everyone here, there will be more stories and lots of photos of this precious little girl to follow.

Sadly I had to say goodbye to them at 6.30 this morning and a few tears were shed..all from Mom and me..Mini was just her happy little self... :D

We said goodbye to Bonnie, the Davids and Nick also, the farewells are always the hardest time for me.

I leave here on the 20th and get home on the 22nd, but I have a couple of talks on the 25th and 27th to the med students and nurses and then on the 2nd of next month i have the Pan Pacific conference in Auckland..so I need to spend time with the family (two and four legged ones.. :D) before i can get back to the forums with photos and news about our Mexican AMG..but I can say right now it has been a wonderful experience, with both the IAC and seeing all the guys again.

Hope you have all been keeping well and look forward to catching up wtih you all soon...i just need time to get over everything, and Im still trying to fight off this bloody chest infection..but its getting better by the day.

Love and hugs to you all
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: A star was born
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
Good to hear from you Jan!  I sure look forward to those pictures. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
Glad you had a great time honey, and wishing you safe travels ahead.    Hope you brought something good to read.

much love,

Alan 

PS - can't WAIT to see photos!   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
I somehow knew little mini would be a star.

I bet you all spoilt her rotten too. She deserves it.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
Jan,  I thought you were going to tell everyone about the newest "star" that was born while we were away at AMG ;).  

It's just after 10:15pm here and we've finally made it home.  My head is spinning, my sunburn is burning, and as soon as I  can wrap my head around a clear thought, I'll certainly post more about AMG including pictures and ....  ummmm... a little "situation" with Basquo at the Meet and Greet. :P

Mum (who already misses all Mini's guys)

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BikerGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »
On the frig is the hand made birthday card Mini made for me.

Mini, you are so special and it was a joy to meet you.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
All my love and a great big hug.
D
Anall nathrach - Oorfas bethud - Dorhiel dienvay

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
mini is just as cute as a button.  The first day we met, she gave me her business card.

Everyday I would give her my coins and by Sunday her assignment was to tell me how much she had in pesos and 'W Virginia' money.

robert

(who couldn't keep his hands out of Mini's hair)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
Mum, where are the pictures?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline minismom

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
Betty, as soon as Hubby converts the pictures from his file to a public file, I'll post some. 

Mum

www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »
Santi & I were blessed to meet this little lady in person, and I can't stop telling people about how she scampered up the world's third largest pyramid to the amazement of us all, including her Mum.

I've got my eyes on you ! [involves a hand gesture]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:43:23 AM »
^ That's probably the cutest picture ever.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »
She certainly was the "star".  What a precious gift we all had for her being at AMG. 

Each morning, most of us would gather at the Starbucks in the hotel lobby.  Those of us who smoked would be outside the patio rail on the sidewalk, those who didn't were sitting on the patio.  My day would start with this tiny little voice saying "Good Morning" and there, leaning across the rail  was this smiling, loving, little girl.  It couldn't help but warm my coffee craving, foggy headed, muscle aching body. 

RAB

(Who also has her "business card" on his fridge.)

RAB   :-*

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:24:49 AM »
I have a couple very good pictures of Mini lighting the candle at the memorial ceremony that I'll put up later.  And yes, one on the Starbucks patio sitting on Mum's lap :)  There was a lot of action everyday at Starbucks, that's for sure.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05:20 AM »
you lot went all the way to mexico to go to starbucks?  :D

very cute picture of the littlest AMG'er - kate

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Yeah, I know.  In fact there were two Starbucks on opposite sides of the Christopher Columbus travel circle where the hotel was located -- the Starbucks were actually IN the hotels, with entrances directly into the lobbies.  I'll also add that they were much worse than the Starbucks in the US, which I generally avoid.  They're lattes were quite weak and I think they were skimping on the shots of espresso.  It wasn't until the last day that I noticed a local coffee place a block away that I could have been going to.

Hey, at least I didn't go to McDonald's like Mark did.  I ate Mexican food selections at every opportunity.  No burgers for Philicia!

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Can't wait to see more pics of cutie Mini and the other characters who were there! Am really jealous that I couldn't attend. It all sounds so revitalizing and such great experiences were shared. Yippee! Hope to meet many of you someday ... but until then I'll enjoy the images and live vicariously thru them. 

Best of health and more. -YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »
During my one trip to Mexico I got the impression that coffee isn't regarded very highly there.  I went into a bakery for breakfast and they had no coffee, although there was a cooler full of Coca-Cola.  After a few minutes of discussion and looking around, they found a jar of instant coffee.  That was all the more surprising as it was in Rosarita, which sees a lot of American tourists.

Mini seems to be quite the precocious little girl.  I'm sure that she's a real joy to her family.  I look forward to when she's able to post here on her own.
...................VL.....CD4.....%
-----------------------------------------
08/10-- ......<40.....290.....42
05/10-- ......<48.....290.....46
02/10-- ......<48.....481.....44
10/09-- ......<48.....277.....46
07/09-- ......<48.....300.....38
05/09-- ........51.....449.....39
03/09-- Added Isentress
02/09-- ........65.....299.....34
11/08-- ........62.....242.....40
08/08-- ........66.....212.....29
05/08-- ......202.....217.....27
03/08-- ....5210.....187.....21
02/08-- Began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
12/07-- 273,000.....157.....22
11/07-- 229,000.....209.....22
10/07-- Diagnosis

It's a complex world.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
Yeah, I know.  In fact there were two Starbucks on opposite sides of the Christopher Columbus travel circle where the hotel was located -- the Starbucks were actually IN the hotels, with entrances directly into the lobbies.  I'll also add that they were much worse than the Starbucks in the US, which I generally avoid.  They're lattes were quite weak and I think they were skimping on the shots of espresso.  It wasn't until the last day that I noticed a local coffee place a block away that I could have been going to.

Hey, at least I didn't go to McDonald's like Mark did.  I ate Mexican food selections at every opportunity.  No burgers for Philicia!

Lies. How many times did we go to Starbucks the last time I visited?  :P

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »

Lies. How many times did we go to Starbucks the last time I visited?  :P

None that I recall.  In Philadelphia I only go to Joe's on Walnut Street or Brew Ha Ha on S. 12th.

The only Starbucks I will venture to in Philly is the one at the Bellevue Hotel, and that's only an excuse to see THE LEGEND.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
None that I recall.  In Philadelphia I only go to Joe's on Walnut Street or Brew Ha Ha on S. 12th.

The only Starbucks I will venture to in Philly is the one at the Bellevue Hotel, and that's only an excuse to see THE LEGEND.

We went to that one on South St. And then another one that I don't remember. But we definitely went at least twice, because I got my favorite drink.

Although, yes, you are almost as bad a caffeine addict as I am. How many times did we stop for a caffeinated beverage or another in general LOL.

</spam>

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
Ah... well, I only go to South St. when you visit so there you go.  It's a street for kiddies *sigh* not grown ups.  Do you honestly think I prance into goth/emo shops in my own spare time?  As if.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:32:09 PM by philly267 »

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »

Hey, the only reason Mike and I went to McDonald's was to find a bathroom. It was only after we unsuccessfully looked for a Sanborn's at the Zocalo. You had to buy something or they wouldn't let you pee, so I had a Coke TM and some fries.

Those are the only things I can eat at McDonald's and I really did need to pee - and so did Mike.

Would someone who spent money in the Metropolitan Cathedral lie to you? ::)

Besides, it was Jody who ordered the hamburgesa at that little cafe that you, I, Jody and Curtis ate at on the way back to the Zocalo to see the pyramid there, if memory serves.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:07:33 PM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
I also have Mini's business card on my refrigerator too.

She is just a doll.

To think she just scampered right up the Pyramid of the Sun while some of us had to stop and rest frequently.

Ah, youth.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline minismom

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
2 days before our trip to the pyramids, some of the guys had already decided that Mini was going to make it to the top of that pyramid even if they had to carry her up.  In my mind, how high could the pyramid actually be?  Well, let me tell you, it was TALL (3rd largest in the WORLD!).  When we arrived at the pyramids, Mini and i held back touring the mound where child sacrafices were held.  On the way down from the mound, someone approached us, whipped out a black knife, and sent Mini running and screaming for dear life!!  So much for public relations!

What the brochures don't tell you is that the pyramid isn't anywhere near the entrance.  First, we had to walk just over 1500 feet down the Avenue of the Dead.  The sun was blazing with NO shade to speak of.  Anyway, once we got to the pyramid, it was just the two of us - Mini and Mum - and a very intimidating pyramid that Wee One was determined to climb.  I'd already set in my mind that we'd go up as high as we could and then I'd break out the "we did a good job" speech.  Mini, however, wasn't settling for anything but the top.

The steps were tall and painfully narrow.  Mini quickly figured out that she could "Spiderman" it up rather quickly on her hands and feet.  I kept having to tell her to stop and wait for me.  Every plateau, we'd sit and drink some water and rest up for the next climb.  An hour later, hand in hand, we made it to the top.  We celebrated with water, chips, and tears.  The kid that doctors said wouldn't live, then wouldn't walk, with CP and aching knees, conquered a mountain.  The kid that I thought would never make it without being carried, ended up carrying me with her spirit and sheer determination. 

It took us 15 minutes to traverse the steps down.  We did it together, hand in hand. 

Mum (who still smiles with the memory)
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:42 PM »
Basquo, what an amazing picture!  Is there any way that you can send me a copy?

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
This is Mini at the top of the Pyramid.  Her shirt is one she designed and drew herself.  It says "I can be your friend".  The back says "AMG 2008 - The world can be your friend."  Everyone signed it during the M&G.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:14:11 PM by minismom »
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
And here's a picture of the pyramid itself

www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
Ok, last one (for now ;)) - Mini climbing the Pyramid.  She did get a boo-boo on her shin that took off a fair chunk of skin.  Her guy Jody took good care of her with some anti-bacterial ointment and a bandaide (which hurt much less than the alcohol I kept pouring on it)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:16:11 PM by minismom »
www.watoto.com

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
2 days before our trip to the pyramids, some of the guys had already decided that Mini was going to make it to the top of that pyramid even if they had to carry her up.  In my mind, how high could the pyramid actually be?  Well, let me tell you, it was TALL (3rd largest in the WORLD!).  When we arrived at the pyramids, Mini and i held back touring the mound where child sacrafices were held.  On the way down from the mound, someone approached us, whipped out a black knife, and sent Mini running and screaming for dear life!!  So much for public relations!

What the brochures don't tell you is that the pyramid isn't anywhere near the entrance.  First, we had to walk just over 1500 feet down the Avenue of the Dead.  The sun was blazing with NO shade to speak of.  Anyway, once we got to the pyramid, it was just the two of us - Mini and Mum - and a very intimidating pyramid that Wee One was determined to climb.  I'd already set in my mind that we'd go up as high as we could and then I'd break out the "we did a good job" speech.  Mini, however, wasn't settling for anything but the top.

The steps were tall and painfully narrow.  Mini quickly figured out that she could "Spiderman" it up rather quickly on her hands and feet.  I kept having to tell her to stop and wait for me.  Every plateau, we'd sit and drink some water and rest up for the next climb.  An hour later, hand in hand, we made it to the top.  We celebrated with water, chips, and tears.  The kid that doctors said wouldn't live, then wouldn't walk, with CP and aching knees, conquered a mountain.  The kid that I thought would never make it without being carried, ended up carrying me with her spirit and sheer determination. 

It took us 15 minutes to traverse the steps down.  We did it together, hand in hand. 

Mum (who still smiles with the memory)

Mum

And smile you should. 

You're absolutely correct when you say the thing is huge.  I don't know if this photo gives a good enough perspective, but at least it offers a close resemblence.

The fact that the two of you made the trek solo, is a testament to the obvious bond between you and Mini.  Her determination, her unwillingness (or more precisely) just the fact that whatever she has faced hasn't stopped her in the least. . . .well, that is something we should all find inspiring.

What an adventure we all shared.

RAB

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 08:30:24 PM »
Beautiful pictures mum and Creighton.  Go Mini!  I'm just going to have to meet her someday.  Mum, does she still have the picture of my cat? :)

Offline minismom

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »
Every morning when she woke up, Mini would ask "Do you think my guys are awake?"  Then, she'd rush me to get dressed because "my guys are waiting downstairs."  So, from now until forever, you'll be known as Mini's guys (yes, even you Jan and Bonnie ;))  She still talks about "me, mum, and my guys."

Mum (who has tons of pictures to post, but keeps getting a message that the files are too big??)
www.watoto.com

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
One of my greatest regrets of not being able to attend AMG was to miss this chance to meet Mini and I'm not surprised that she was the star of the event!

Great pics and I love the one of her at the top of the pyramid!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »
Beautiful.    Absolutely beautiful.     I had no doubts that Mini would show everyone what a special child she is.   (and I already KNOW how special the rest of you are!)   A winning combination.

Love & hugs,

Alan

PS - I would love to have one of those pics of Mini and Creighton....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.