Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

SSDI

(1/2) > >>

Peter6836:
Can anyone give me some insight in applying for and collecting SSDI. I have lost my job and am looking into options. I am also looking into possibly getting a disability retirement. I was a teacher. Just some advice would help. I am not sure what to do and looking at all my options. Geting the retirement would at least allow me to keep my benifits. I live in Michigan.
Peter

allopathicholistic:
Best to apply as soon as possible when you consider the waiting periods and the Medicare-uncovered periods.

Here in New York City, the City acts as the safety net for the SSDI waiting period (typically 2 years but it varies) and the State acts as the safety net for the Medicare-uncovered period (always 2 years).

My case as an example:
SSDI granted March 1, 2006
Medicare granted March 1, 2008

And for perspective ...........
  Applied: Late 2005
  Informed via official notice: December 2007

I hope the above is clear.

Hugs,
AH

denb45:

--- Quote from: Peter6836 on July 24, 2008, 10:06:47 AM ---Can anyone give me some insight in applying for and collecting SSDI. I have lost my job and am looking into options. I am also looking into possibly getting a disability retirement. I was a teacher. Just some advice would help. I am not sure what to do and looking at all my options. Geting the retirement would at least allow me to keep my benifits. I live in Michigan.
Peter

--- End quote ---

It all depends on just how sick you are and what are the effects of your HIV that keeps you from working, here's some real good info on what SSDI looks at as far as determing who actually get's SSDI for having Full Blown AIDS, (see below) Please note, that if you do not have an AIDS diagnoses form your ID Doctor, you will not get SSDI for just having and being HIV+  .......as for getting a disability retirement form your previous employer, I would find out what options are alivable to you as a teacher, your Employers Dept. of Human Resources should be able to tell you just what's alivable to you........................Good Luck  ;D

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#immunodeficiency

ron7278:
I applyed when I was doignosed but I have been battleing with depression for years. I had my hearing a month ago. it took me 9 months but I am still waiting on my aproval

Peter6836:
Thanks everyone, your advice is helpful although not paticularly encouraging. My situation is looking dim for now and I am really stressing about it.
Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version