POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23744
  • Latest: Peter1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642903
  • Total Topics: 48911
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG 2007 in POZ Magazine, written by Creighton Bailey (Basquo)  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
I'm thrilled to announce that the new issue of POZ, hitting the stands now, includes an article written by our very own Creighton Bailey (aka Basquo) about these forums and AMG 2007 in San Francisco!

The online version really doesn't do it justice, since the print version includes some wonderful pictures from the gathering itself that Creighton took.  I've asked the art department at POZ to send me some jpeg versions of these, and I'll post them in this thread once I've got them.

For now, please go out and find the July/August issue of POZ, or read the online version here:
http://www.poz.com/articles/postcard_from_the_edge_2201_14804.shtml

I want to thank Creighton for all his hard work on this, and for being so open and giving with the POZ readership.  This article was his idea, and I'm really glad he pushed us all to do it.  He sent emails and PMs to Andy, Regan and myself back in August, 2007 suggesting that POZ cover the upcoming AMG in San Francisco.  He pushed all the AMG participants to sign releases so that we could publish the pictures he took.  And he was exceedingly patient while POZ editorial worked with him on various drafts and figuring out the best time to run it.  It was decided that using the piece in the summer issue as a plug for AMG 2008 in Mexico City would work best.  Thanks also to Regan Hofmann, POZ's editor-in-chief, for strongly backing this little project from day one.

It's great to see Creighton and these forums and the AMGs in POZ Magazine!

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: AMG 2007 in POZ Magazine, written by Creighton Bailey (Basquo)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
Okay -- here's an attached PDF of the POZ pages with the pics and article.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »
What a great article, Basquo.  Thank you, Peter, for sharing it with us.

Mum (who can't wait to meet Basquo in Mexico)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »
Creighton,

I give you a lot of credit for the time you invested in not only writing this article but seeing it through to published form.  It presents a beautiful image of AMG, and I feel grateful for your eye and words to allow me to participate even if only through your article.

Peter - Thanks for posting, but more important - thanks for posting the pdf with pics - it makes the whole article more tangible on many levels.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »
A most enjoyable read, Creighton. Could pinch you on the cheek.....really hard.......cuz you're so sweet......and it shows in your writing.

Big hug,
Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »
Great article! It makes me want to go to a gathering.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »
Honey,

You did a great job, as I knew you would.   You've "done us proud" .
Thank you for your work and determination in accomplishing this.

Thanks to you Peter for posting. 

I cherish the memories we made in Montreal and in San Francisco, and I treasure the photos I have from those times.   Mostly, I treasure the life-long friendships I've made as a result of joining AIDSmeds.

hugs,
Alan

edited to add:  for those who have not had the pleasure of meeting Creighton, he is one of the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful people you could ever know....the first time he saw me, he handed me a lovely little stuffed "Tin Man" doll.   It sits by my computer and gives me a smile each and every day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:11:09 PM by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
I Loved it Creighton, glad to see you finally got it into print, I posted a comment but it didn't show so I must have done something wrong, I'm so very proud of you, it was a great story.

I cherish the memories we made in Montreal and in San Francisco, and I treasure the photos I have from those times.   Mostly, I treasure the life-long friendships I've made as a result of joining AIDSmeds.

I quoted Alan because I couldn't have said it better myself.

Love and hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »
Hi Creighton, I got my issue in the mail today as I have been monthly for over a decade now and it was great to see your article.  It brought back many memories of a fine memorial service in San Francisco, so central to our gatherings each year.  And thanks as always to Jan and Alan and Dennis and everyone else who work so hard to bring us together for our time to reflect.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »
Creighton

thanks so much for a great postcard.  Let's send some more from Mexico City to all our friends.

You're  a doll

robert

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »
So wonderful!  :)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
Basquo

Nice job buddy.  I think we'll have to make you the "official" historian for all future AMGs. 

RAB   :-*

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:48 AM »
::verklempt::
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM »
Creighton,

You've done well, youngun.

Ah, the memories you have stirred.

I, too, am "verklempt."

See you in Mexico City!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Nico

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
Creighton,
Great article and what a good time we had out in SF.  Will miss you guys this year, but will make the next.  I was shocked to see the picture of me and my hubby in your article!

Rog
Poz since 1990.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
Hey Creighton,

What a great article ... guess what .. tears are rolling down my face, as I think of a the genuine, warm hugs we all exchanged in SFO.
All the love I received upon meeting all these people... and sharing time with Dan...

You are so right... we are true friends. Friends I would never have met without HIV.

oh... I am such a sentimental fool....

love u

Hermie
Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Viread, Kivexa (Epzicom),Viramune once daily

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
Great article  Creighton... I agree with  anointing you as the official historian of the AMG outings....  thanks for the very tender approach to the whole occasion...see you in MC..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
That was a great article, Creighton.  Congrats.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Basquo

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 09:10:22 PM »
Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words and support. It was nearly a year in the making, and even when Peter started this thread it didnít seem like it had finally happened until I got the issue in the mail yesterday.

The story went through many drafts.  Originally it was going to be an online special report, and considerably longer. It evolved into a print story and we had to trim it down by about two-thirds. It wasnít easy but thatís why there are editors.

I know this isnít an awards ceremony, but I want to thank a few more people: Andy, who encouraged me to talk with Peter about the story idea; Peter, who guided me through the first couple of drafts; and Bob Ickes and Regan Hofmann, who helped translate it all into a national magazine article and encouraged me to believe I could make a good impression of the Forums for the readers of POZ who havenít checked us out.

Of course, the real thanks goes to all of you for being here for me. I really didnít think there was much left to my writing career, but maybe thereís hope yet. I really didnít think my picture would be in a national magazine without me perpetrating a major crime, either, but maybe Iím on a roll now!

Much love & hugs,
Creighton

:)

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »
Basquo Bear,

You are the best.  Your take on AMG 07 was spot on key.  And now in a few short weeks, you have another AMG to cover.  Go for it, guy!

Hugs, R&T

Offline joemutt

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:16 AM »
That was beautiful. Thank you Creighton, thank you Peter.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 09:13:07 AM »
and encouraged me to believe I could make a good impression of the Forums for the readers of POZ who havenít checked us out.

Speaking of which, have you seen increased interest in Mexico City due to the article? If so, that would be deep! Your words changing lives (and travel plans), etc.  8)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Great article Creighton!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
Creighton,

What a great article.  You so clearly expressed the power that these gatherings have had on you and others.  I have not been to one and can not make Mexico City due to another commitment, but I am definitely planning on attending next year -- where ever it happens to be held.

thanks so much!

Hugs,
Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
Creighton, no body does it better.  ;) If the other people knew how much fun we really had. I won't be with you in person this year, but you can bet I will be with you in thought.

Rodney

Offline Florida69

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »
Great article... D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline David_CA

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »
I'm happy to see your article published.  I'm even happier to say that I was there to experience what you've written.  Thanks for capturing the essence of an AMG!  You put into words what many of us feel.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.