Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:26:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 210
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My liver!  (Read 7863 times)

Offline fearless

My liver!
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:24:47 pm »
As some of you may recall I have recently developed an intolerance to alcohol that has been getting worse over the last 6 weeks or so - I now vomit after only 1 drink and generally feel unwell and nauseas all the time.
I raised this with my doctor last week and he took some blood for testing. The tests results came back on Monday and showed that two of my liver enzymes were raised - I can't recall the exact name of the two enzymes that were raised but from what I recall (I was a little dazed at the tiem as my doctor was running through what the results showed) the docotr indicated that the enzymes which were raised were not the usual ones associated with my meds (Kaletra and Truvada). He discussed a number of possibilities - fatty liver, gall stones, Hep C, or an unyet undiagnosed underlying problem with my liver that my pills had exacerbated. He took some more blood for testing and gave me a referral for an ultrasound of my liver, gall bladder and kidneys.

I had the ultrasound this morning and the person conducting the ultrasound said everything looked fine although I will have to wait for the final doctors report. So now, once again, I play the waiting game, thinking the worst, untill I go back to the doctors and get the other results back.

I'm so sick of being sick. Each time I have one of these setbacks it plays havoc with my mental health and self esteem. I feel like I am a failure, that I am vulnerable and weak and just not good enough. I'm so so sick of it. I just want to feel well. I just want to feel normal. I don't want to play this game anymore.  :'( :'( :'(

Little Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Robert

Re: My liver!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:52:37 pm »
Hey little guy.

I'm here for you.  This is exactly how I was feeling last year.  Tired and sick with a memory that played games with me, and completely frustrated.  I reached out to you and you helped me....lots.  Thanks for that.  And now I'm here for you.  As are we all. 

This is what this friggin' HIV/AIDS things is all about.  IF it isn't the virus, it's the meds that bring you down and everyday you have to confront it.  EVERYDAY.  The hardest thing I do everyday is just waking up.  I don't want to.  I force myself out of the bed.  I force myself to eat.  I force myself to exercise.  Then I just hope everything else will fall into place for the rest of the day.  If it doesn't, then my mind begins playing tricks with me again.

So what's my point?  I'm just here for you.  That's all.  I love you.

robert

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:08:34 pm »
Lil Steve it is Eldon. I am sorry to hear about you being sick all the time. Maybye it is time to quit driking all together. Hope things turn out well and you start feeling better. Don't give in to it. Stay strong, get plenty of rest, and eat healthy meals.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:17:02 pm »
Steve,  I echo Eldon's idea in purhaps stop pushing the liver anymore and drop the drink equation out of your regimen.  I for one, get depressed when I drink so that just compounds my problems.   I hope you start to feel better and hold on "its the waiting game" that we get to do ever so often...  Be Well!!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:17:54 pm »
Hi Steve

Don't start to panic about this, it is going to be o.k.!   I totally understand, it gets so OLD feeling bad and feeling sick.   You just want to be your 'old' self, and be normal.   Believe me honey, we all do.   Many of us have learned that we just can't drink much anymore, it's just not worth being sick for.    Ask the Nashville gang -- I drank too much on our first night there, and went around "green" all day the next day....it's going to be a challenge for me to not overdo it in Montreal.

You're not alone in this, remember that.   You're loved and cared about by lots of people all around the globe, that's pretty BIG when you think about it.   It still astounds me every day.   Let us know what you find out.

Love & hugs (but no alcohol!)

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:27:22 pm »
Hello Steve,

I wish there was something that I could say to ya that would make you feel better, I know how much this is troubleling you. I can read it in your post.  A doctor, I am certainly not, so there is so much I don't know or understand, and I can't give you the answers, But try not to think the worse. Let the doctors do their tests, and lets see what they come up with. Back in 1998, I had elevated enzymes, since that time, they had returned back to the  normal ranges. Try not to stress out on this, I understand the waiting game. Hang in there, and know that we're here for ya. Let us know what those results are when you receive them.

Take care of yourself/ Try to get some rest------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:28:50 pm »
Thanks Robert and thanks Eldon,

I know Robert, I know.

I rarely drink anyway Eldon (just with my recent birthday everyone wants to go to dinner and/or have a drink) and have no plans for having a drink anytime soon. But, it is not alcohol causing the problem - the drink just made me aware of it. Now I just feel sick all the time.

Being sick and not knowing why is driving me crazy. I'm worried it is Hep C or some other problem that I am/was not aware of. I'm racking my brain going over everything and everyone I have touched in the last few months, everything that has changed. I was kinda hoping it was fatty liver and that I could do something about it through dietary change.

I'm scared and fucked up and over it. I just want to feel good.

ps thanks Alan and Ray
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline tnboy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:37:58 pm »
Little Steve,

I feel your pain man. I hope the test results show nothing more than a simple probelm with a simple fix.
Like so many others here, I can certainly relate to being sick of feeling sick all the time. :-*
 I wish you the best and hope you will keep us informed of the results and how you are doing.

Take care my little short Buddy ;)

Mike

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:36:21 am »
Hey Steve,

I know where you are coming from as far as the liver scare.  Been through 3 sonograms, an MRI and going in for my second catscan in September.  All in less than a year. They keep saying everything is okay.......well then leave me the fuck alone I say?

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:27:44 am »
Hi Little Steve,

I am sorry that you are going through this bad patch right now. Going in rewind about all the possible causes might make you worry more than you need to, I know that's what it does to me. Try not to fret too much over what is past and future... today is big enough to handle.

And you know what? Being vulnerable is ok. I am slowly learning to accept that after HIV put this huge dent in my ("fearless") armor. Take good care of yourself and let us know how you are.

HUGS

Pat

People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:28:53 pm »
Hi Stephen

I hope you're feeling MUCH better today !!!

Paul

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:05:32 pm »
Hey Steve,
Lordy honey, I wish there were something I could say or do to make things better.

It sucks, I know. Just when things are going OK in one way, something else pops up and says, "surpise."

I wish I had advice or an answer to give. I don't. All I can say is I will keep you in my thoughts and will be focusing positive energy your way.

(((((((BIG HUG)))))))

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:01:48 pm »

Steve, 

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles right now.  I too have recently had problems lately with alcohol.  After drinking one beer I get violently ill.  This is a far cry from the twelve pack I use to be able to polish off.  After just one beer I get hot flashes and I seem to just get hotter and hotter....and I am not talking sex hot!  Then the nausea sets in.  I've had to go to the hospital because of it.  The doctors say I have diverticulitis and somehow the alcohol seems to give me an episode...  It's supposedly nothing serious, but it does suck.  I am not on meds yet..  different scenario than yours I know.

I don't know Steve it sounds like you might have to go back to the green...  how long do you have clean now?  Wish I had some....

Take care man and I wish you the best!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23:36 pm »
Every blood testing my doc does liver evaluation; a couple of my drugs are hard on the ol liver; and I still have my few beers, but no hard stuff; so far so good.  As much as I used to drink, it's a wonder I have a liver.  Don't know anything about fatty liver, but hep c is treatable and severity of treatment depends on which one of 6 types of hep c.  "Being sick" from one thing or another becones common place with most of us, but some things would happen with or without HIV; something I've learned just getting older, we weren't built to live for ever.  Not very encouraging is it, never was, just a fact.  Be patient, dealing with a major organ, they will find the cause and hopefully a solution.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Christine

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 01:51:16 pm »
Hi Little Steve,
I love that picture of you two on the elephant! That is on my list of things to do...someday.

I have had liver issues for a while, it seems to come and go depending on what meds I am on. My liver was so large in 2002 it was pushing my stomach over to the other side.  I've had CT scans, ultrasounds, blood work every since I went on Crixivan which I think was in '94. The doctors have never found any problems, other than the meds effecting the liver.

Since starting on Reyataz last month, my values are up again. More blood work, CT scan, and nothing was found, so they think it is the Reyataz.

Try not to worry. Abnormal liver values for hiv+'s on meds is fairly common. Just be aware of your values, and when starting a new med or changing meds make sure the doctors know about your liver tests.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 03:46:24 pm »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Steve}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I hope you can find out what the problem is so you can start feeling better soon.

Thinking Of You,

Dan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.