POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 10:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650155
  • Total Topics: 49630
  • Online Today: 182
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 123
Total: 127

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Jesse Helms dead - Yeah!  (Read 4317 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Jesse Helms dead - Yeah!
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »
Jesse Helms, former North Carolina Senator and right wing bulldog, died today at age 86. He served 5 terms in the Senate and was a staunch defender of tobacco interests, "family values" and conservative religious interests. He was a boil on the butt of humanity and it was everything I could do not to cheer when I saw the news on the TV at the gym. Here are some of "Uncle Jesse's" (as he was known in this area) nuggets of wisdom.

“Your tax dollars are being used to pay for grade school classes that teach our children that cannibalism, wife-swapping and the murder of infants and the elderly are acceptable behavior”

On HIV - “It's their deliberate, disgusting, revolting conduct that is responsible for the disease”

“You were the best qualified for that job, but they had to give it to a minority.”

"There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."

On funding the National Endowment of the Arts - "What is really at stake is whether or not America will allow the cultural high ground in this nation to sink slowly into an abyss of slime to placate people who clearly seek or are willing to destroy the Judaic-Christian foundations of this republic."

"I've been portrayed as a caveman by some. That's not true. I'm a conservative progressive, and that means I think all men are equal, be they slants, beaners or niggers."

"All Latins are volatile people. Hence, I was not surprised at the volatile reaction."

"The New York Times and The Washington Post are both infested with homosexuals themselves."

On the University of North Carolina - "University of Negroes and Communists".

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:21:53 PM by GSOgymrat »

Offline bear60

Re: Jesse Helms dead - Yeah!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
Its about time.

On the University of North Carolina - "University of Negroes and Communists".

I remember growing up that my Dad was just slightly nervous about all the conservative people looking over his shoulder. See, we had moved to Chapel Hill from New York  ( Syracuse) and Dad taught at UNC.  So right off we were....foreigners and suspected of being communist sympathizers.
This was in 1949 of course, but still.  I grew up being called a "yankee".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:17:53 PM by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »
Had the same thought when I logged onto my home page and saw the news.
Rather unchristian of me but he was such a self-righteous prick.

Mike

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
I hope he meets his "Christian" maker and gets rejected....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »
It's an awful thing when someone is so awful that you're glad they're dead.

Helms did a lot of bad stuff as others have already noted. It didn't matter a bit that when he left the Senate he very belatedly said he had been wrong about AIDS. He had done so much damage, blocking legislation and aid. He was wrong about a lot of things -- a nasty, mean-spirited, smallminded bigot.

A happier recollection for those of you who don't know about it, our very own Peter Staley was a part of an activist group that fitted a giant condom over Helms' Maryland house way back when. That's right, covered his entire house in latex. Way to go, Peter!

Andy Velez

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Helms can now join Jerry Falwell ... too bad each didn't suffer a long horrible death like John-Paul !!

hoping these will die soon:  Pat Robertson, James Dobson, David Duke, Tony Perkins. and anyone else of their ilk

-YaKa

09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
Hopefully like Strom it will be discovered he has a black gay son -- even better if he's gay.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
another son of a bitch bites the dust...too bad it didn't happen sooner, like 50 years ago
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »
A happier recollection for those of you who don't know about it, our very own Peter Staley was a part of an activist group that fitted a giant condom over Helms' Maryland house way back when. That's right, covered his entire house in latex. Way to go, Peter!

Thanks, Andy.  Gotta blog about that fun bit of activism at some point.  Helms mentioned the action in his memoir, calling us "radical homosexuals."

He was one of the greatest enemies to people living with HIV, and since some of his HIV amendments are still on the books, he continues to do us harm.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
You definitely need to blog about that. I really want to hear that story.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »

And on the 4th of July no less !! How patriotic of him. Such a fine "Christian Gentleman" he was.

Now, lets blow off those fireworks and really celebrate !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline libvet

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »
I'm going to take the Bette Davis approach and only speak good of the dead.  So, Jesse Helms is dead. Good.

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
He will not be missed here.......May he rest in pieces.  >:(

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
He was a vile human being and the world is a better place without him. I hope his death was lengthy and painful.

MtD

Offline randym431

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
I thought he was already long dead.
Had someone removed the "wooden" stake from his chest?

I just remember not only the awful things he said about gays, but that he said most
of it from the floor of the senate. THAT was the outrage with me.

If he had said anything close as nasty about, say blacks or women from the senate floor, he'd
been tossed out on his honkie behind.

And... wasn’t he the one that threatened Clinton, saying he better watch his back if he comes
to his part of the country?

They gave him a pass on that outrage too...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:31:05 PM by randym431 »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »
Yes.

Bill Clinton "better watch out if he comes down here [to North Carolina]. He'd better have a bodyguard." 
-stated by Jesse Helms in regards to Clinton's supposive unpopularity with the North Carolina military. According to Helms (and refuted by military personnel), the military was likely to shoot Clinton if he came to North Carolina.

Offline libvet

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
He was a vile human being and the world is a better place without him. I hope his death was lengthy and painful.

MtD

MtD, your heartfelt eulogy brought a tear to my eye.   

:'(      :D

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »
   As Dear Old Grannychick would put it "Good riddance to bad Rubbish" I almost wish I could feel guilty about being clad the old prick is dead, but I'm not. Giving credit where credit is due though, he is one of the reasons that I wanted to beat the whole HIV/Cancer/Liver Failure thing, so that I could piss on his grave when he finally died. Now I'm just waiting on Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld keel over, and my wish will be granted. So where are they burying the old queen anyways?

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »

Andy, someone's gotta have a picture of THAT!  LOL  What a riot!   :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:14 PM »
"Any man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind." I've often wanted to add a big NOT after that famous statement. I felt positively enlarged when I read about Helms's death.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
Peter or Andy, someone's gotta have a picture of THAT latex-covered house!!  LOL  What a riot!   :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline edfu

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 04:11:43 AM »
Our own great (and cute) Peter Staley helps put condom over Jesse Helms's house!  Thanks, Peter.   Here's a terrific video of the action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bngtgTwvKcE

In the last shot, of the Condom 7 sitting in the back of the truck, the guy on the far right, in the T-shirt with the pink gay triangle, is, I believe, Sean Strub himself, the founder of POZ. 

Go, Condom 7!     
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 04:23:24 AM by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 04:17:43 AM »
The encomia he's been receiving have been revolting to read and watch.

I was just starting college in September 1991, and I remember vividly the media coverage of TAG's great condom action; just before the whole Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill stuff...

Not to steal your thunder, Peter, but I hope you won't mind my tipsily posting some stills from the Robert Hilferty film (which I would love to see). Maybe you can provide captioning.  :)

Jay

Edited to add: I see edfu posted the YouTube link a few minutes before my post; it is a terrific video.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 04:48:09 AM by lydgate »
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Online Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
Our own great (and cute) Peter Staley helps put condom over Jesse Helms's house!  Thanks, Peter.   Here's a terrific video of the action:

In the last shot, of the Condom 7 sitting in the back of the truck, the guy on the far right, in the T-shirt with the pink gay triangle, is, I believe, Sean Strub himself, the founder of POZ. 

Go, Condom 7!     

remarkable footage!

You can read the Guardians no holds barred obit of the horrid man

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/04/usa
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:59:33 AM by Dachshund »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »

Go, Condom 7!     

Edfu, thank you so much for posting this.  I love it!

Edited to add:  Thanks for your link as well, Dachs.  That was very interesting.  I wasn't fully aware of all that article included.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:01:45 PM by Bettytacy »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
This is great -- I had no idea it was already on YouTube.  I was about to go dig out my old VHS tape of "TAG Helms" and start the process of digitizing it.  Looks like someone beat me to it!

I'd had forgotten that goofy Caesar's haircut I had going at the time.  LOL.

Garance Franke-Ruta is the woman who calls Helms "the devil" -- she was the fiercest woman in ACT UP.   

This was filmed by Robert Hilferty, and ex-boyfriend of mine at the time.

Thanks for posting the link!

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Great post from YouTube! It was entertaining ... and inspring... -YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline randym431

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
This is great -- I had no idea it was already on YouTube.
;D  EVERYTHINGS on youtube. I can see you, can you see me?  ;D
(sorry bout that)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »
"I'd had forgotten that goofy Caesar's haircut I had going at the time.  LOL." Totally cute though. And you antedate George Clooney in E.R. by at least three years.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 09:56:02 AM »
I just posted a lengthy blog entry about putting a condom of Helms' house:

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2008/07/in_memory_of_je.html

Please leave comments about this entry on my blog page.  THANKS!

Sean Strub will be blogging about it as well today, on Huffington Post.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Funny.  I ran across that youtube clip yesterday on some other blog and saw you in it at the 1:00 mark, looking like a 15 year old queen.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »
From Charlotte Creative Loafing

Top 10 Quotes About Jesse Helms
from theCLog by John Grooms

10. “Few senators in the modern era have done more to buck the tide of progress and enlightenment than Mr. Helms. … Helms’s career played out like a harsh and intolerant moral crusade.” — New York Times editorial

9. His nasty racial politics might have helped the GOP gain ascendancy for a while in the South, but it tarred Republicans for a long, long time with the stench of racism — and deservedly so. If you want to know why our politics is so racially polarized, and why Republicans still can’t get much more than 10 percent of the black vote, then take a look at the career of Jesse Helms. — Conservative columnist Andrew Sullivan, The New Republic

8. “We’ll have a new day in North Carolina, and I think it will be a better one. Obviously, he was a different kind of senator, a throwback to another time.” — Harvey Gantt, former Charlotte mayor who lost close races to Mr. Helms in 1990 and 1996, commenting on Helms’ retirement in 2003.

7. Helms fought long and hard to eliminate Americorps, the Clinton-created youth service organization. Helms, himself, however, was able to enroll at Wake Forest University only because, as Helms later recalled, a teacher there “negotiated an NYA job at $18.75 a month in sports publicity for me.” The National Youth Administration was an arm of the Works Progress Administration championed by Eleanor Roosevelt. It provided federal jobs to young people as a way to help finance their education during the Depression. Compared to Americorps, the NYA was a socialist juggernaut spreading taxpayer-subsidized make-work across the land. Without it, Helms might never have made it to the US Senate. — Columnist Timothy Noah, writing for Slate.com

6. Helms held on to an abrasive rhetorical style of the 1950s and 60s in which the world is divided between the Satanic forces on one side and the forces of righteousness on the other. — Dan T. Carter, historian at the University of South Carolina

5. Sen. Jesse A. Helms has come up with a plan that should make the US Senate a wiser and more fair-minded forum. The ailing Mr. Helms will retire when his term expires in 2003. — 2001 editorial in The Philadelphia Inquirer.

4. No significant piece of legislation designed to improve the lives of ordinary citizens produced over the last 30 years bears Jesse Helms’ name. Only four states receive less per capita in federal funds than Helms’ North Carolina and only eight have more residents living in poverty. So take a look at the man in all his glory. An unrepentant racist, homophobe, and friend to right-wing dictators and terrorists who failed, during a career stretching 30 years, to improve the lives of his own constituents. — Columnist Eric Alterman

3. Jesse’s customers are all white people, and in North Carolina white nostalgia for the good old days usually includes nostalgia for separate restrooms and lunch counters. A vote for Jesse Helms is a vote for their ancestors … our senator is a walking theme park with two themes: Jim Crow and the Cold War. — Essayist Hal Crowther, 1996

2. The country isn’t going back where Jesse is — there are too many young people and non-whites who will never figure out where he is, or where he’s been. He serves the nation as a kind of navigational marker, a fixed thing to steer away from if you want to keep yourself from grounding on dangerous shoals. The whole political spectrum has shifted to the Right dramatically, but as long as Jesse lives we can always find Too Far. — Hal Crowther, 1996

In one essay published in CL, Hal Crowther said Helms, in a sense, wasn’t elected to be a Senator, but a representative of Carolina orneriness. That essay produced our Number 1 Jesse quote:

1. Helms is like a mascot, a huge old pit bull, useless and vicious, that sits in its own mess at the end of a tow-truck chain and snarls at everything that moves.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/theclog/2008/07/08/top-10-quotes-about-jesse-helms/

Offline weasel

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
hullo all ,
              those that have dish T.V. and get " GAY T.V. , Andy Humm  has done a great show on Jesse Helms !
It is showing this WEEK !
 I loved it , They speak of the hate , there was a film with a women's group , that IS anti Helms !
 One nice lady tells how her husband worked with Helms for years , but when her son died Helms sent her a hate letter
stating that her son had chosen to die of AIDS by being a homo !
It shows the clip of Helms home being draped with a condom !
I laughted my ass off !
What an ass-hole !
 As I see on " Ghost Whisperer " I'm sure Helms got SUCKED into the ground to burn forever in hate !
I am glad to be from Fairfield , Connecticut !, Lowel weicker was one of two to vote against Helms hate bill !
 Maybe Robert Byrd will be the next to croak !
                                                                                                              karl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.