Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Zinc Finger Proteins Put Personalized HIV Therapy Within Reach

<< < (73/92) > >>

Matts:
I think that the Sangamo shares a a risky investment at the moment; I would wait for more information about the trials.

Dr. Gero Hütter, made a short presentation about his Berlin-patient,CCR5 and the Sangamo and Calimmune trials. He works for Calimmune now, so I don't know how realistic his assumptions are:

http://www.isheid.com/presentations/mercredi/16-00/hutter/hutter.pdf

freewillie99:

--- Quote from: bhanu_1002 on March 13, 2013, 11:10:53 AM ---Any comments on the below link

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1269121-sangamo-bioscience-the-impending-failure-in-hiv

--- End quote ---

Sure.  It's written by a guy with a Poly Sci degree who discloses he's short the stock (i.e. betting on it to go down).  He makes several glaring errors / assertions regarding dropping vl loads during treatment interruptions.  That alone marks him as an ill informed hack and not worth listening to.  Regardless, the proof will be in the pudding come May when they present interim Phase 2 results.  Until then, talk is cheap.

Ann:

--- Quote from: bhanu_1002 on March 13, 2013, 11:10:53 AM ---Any comments on the below link

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1269121-sangamo-bioscience-the-impending-failure-in-hiv

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: freewillie99 on March 13, 2013, 04:12:50 PM ---
He makes several glaring errors / assertions regarding dropping vl loads during treatment interruptions.  That alone marks him as an ill informed hack and not worth listening to. 

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, what FreeWilly just said there can be broadly applied to most/many hacks... er.... "journalists" ~coughcough~ who write news articles and/or press releases on anything to do with hiv/aids, both in the lamemainstream press and for online news outlets.

After writing the above paragraph, I went into a general discussion aimed at people who are new to reading information regarding hiv/aids on the internet. I soon realised it was a major derailment of the original intent of this thread, so I decided to take what I wrote and start a new thread with it.

My main dilemma was where to put the new thread; here or in the I Just Tested Poz forum, but I settled on starting it here, mainly because that's where a lot of our newbies with a thirst for knowledge seem to end up. I hope folks read it (and comment) and I hope it helps some people learn to more safely navigate the world of hiv/aids information vs crap (or just terribly reported) science.

Ann

Tadeys:
RICHMOND, Calif., May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sangamo BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: SGMO) announced today the presentation of new clinical data from its program to develop a ZFP Therapeutic® for HIV/AIDS.  The data, which demonstrate that SB-728-T treatment results in a reduction in the HIV reservoir in HIV-infected subjects, are being presented at the 16th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT).  The meeting is being held in Salt Lake City from May 15-18, 2013

HIV-infected subjects enrolled in Sangamo's ongoing SB-728-902 clinical trial (Cohorts 1-3) received a single infusion of SB-728-T which resulted in a durable increase in total CD4 T-cells driven by increased ZFN-modified CD4 central memory T-cells.  The extent of exposure of subjects to circulating zinc finger nuclease (ZFN) CCR5 protected CD4 T cells correlated with a long term decrease in the peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) HIV reservoir as measured by proviral DNA.  In addition, two of four evaluable subjects in Cohort 5 of this study showed a decrease of greater than one log in their viral load during a sixteen week treatment interruption (TI) with one of the subjects achieving a transiently undetectable viral load during the TI period. In subjects in which viral load decreased, a measureable anti-HIV response was observed, specifically a multi-functional response of CD8 T-cells to elements of HIV core proteins.
"These data are quite remarkable," commented Dale Ando , M.D., Sangamo's vice president of therapeutic development and chief medical officer. "In previous clinical studies, a decline in the HIV reservoir has never been observed in subjects on long-term anti-retroviral therapy (ART) and any increase in the levels of CD4 cells in HIV-infected subjects is often associated with a concomitant increase in the size of the reservoir.  In contrast, a single SB-728-T treatment of subjects on long-term ART produced a significant and durable improvement in CD4 count and, in the majority of subjects, a notable decrease in the HIV reservoir over time.  An observed correlation with circulating ZFN CCR5 protected CD4 cells is extremely promising."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sangamo-biosciences-presents-clinical-data-demonstrating-hiv-reservoir-reduction-in-hiv-infected-subjects-treated-with-zfp-therapeutic-sb-728-t-207530041.html

JazJon:

--- Quote from: Tadeys on May 15, 2013, 04:48:24 PM ---during a sixteen week treatment interruption (TI) with one of the subjects achieving a transiently undetectable viral load during the TI period.

--- End quote ---

Excellent news, just what I was hoping to hear.    Should we assume the person above went back on ART instead of seeing what happens longer term?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version