Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Ticket to Work and Disability

<< < (2/4) > >>

jshort:
Im new to all this but I have heard of the ticket to work. I took care of a patient (home care) who had this. He never got into the details of how it worked all I know is that he had a job and still kept his ssdi benefits.

For those of you on SSDI what did it take to get your benefits? Ive heard its hell to get approved.  I want to work, but Im having alot of problems with fatigue and illness im not sure what to do.

YaKaMein:
Hey jshort,
The TTW program states it allows one to work and retain all benefits in addition to deferring a review of your case.

Regarding SSDI, if and when you should apply can be a difficult decision and task. It was for me. There are several posts on the forum which can be searched and reviewed. It helped me to know what others had experienced and prepared me for some possible outcomes. There are horror stories of denials and long appeals.

Be prepared to gather copies of your medical records and fill out forms. It's important to inform your physician and have her/him document in your chart ANY and ALL symptoms and complaints that support your disability. Your ASO might be a good starting point to help with your application process. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. If I don't know an answer, very likely, I'm honest and say so.  -YaKa

BT65:

--- Quote from: jshort on June 30, 2008, 02:08:42 PM ---For those of you on SSDI what did it take to get your benefits? Ive heard its hell to get approved.  I want to work, but Im having alot of problems with fatigue and illness im not sure what to do.

--- End quote ---

I was approved back in '94.  But then they were pretty much approving everyone who was diagnosed with Aids.  I did have to appeal it once, but it went right through the 2nd time.  Yaka gave some good advice.

Miss Philicia:
I was approved in '02, and the process took about 3 months I think -- and no appeal or anything.  I think this all varies greatly state-by-state.  Or maybe it's all luck as to what government drone grabs your paperwork.  Who knows.

At one point during the approval they sent me a letter wanting me to come in for a face-to-face interview, but then called and cancelled that and said it wasn't necessary.  Fortunately my psychiatrist at the time had once worked for the entity that deals with disability claims and he totally coached me on what to say for answers :)

allopathicholistic:
For me: SSD retro back to '06, Medicare March of this year. I was part of my state's vocational rehab system for awhile but the counselor was a bit out of touch with reality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version