POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 09:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647477
  • Total Topics: 49335
  • Online Today: 187
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Freaking out  (Read 2755 times)

Offline chillaxin230

Freaking out
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
OK Im freaking out. In March I met a guy of unknown status and we hooked up...I was really drunk. I gave him head, we made out and then I blacked out. I've never been fucked before since I'm new to experiencing guy on guy. Since I blacked out that night I have been scared as hell that the guy could have fucked me. I didn't feel pain the next morning and I don't think he had lube on him. Three weeks later I felt pain on my ass and there were bumps on my anus and a little blood. It's possible that it could have been hemorrhoids since I have had that problem in the past.

My questions are - what is the likelihood I am infected with HIV? Would I have felt it the next morning if I had been fucked for the first time the night before?

Im really scared and don't know what to do. I'm goign to rush to get tested tomorrow. Am I overreacting or did I do something really stupid??? Please help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Freaking out
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:09 AM »
chill,

Yes, believe me, if you are an anal virgin, you'd KNOW if you'd been fucked or not. And yes, I know this first-hand.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS SPECIFIC INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:45:13 AM »
chill,

Yes, believe me, if you are an anal virgin, you'd KNOW if you'd been fucked or not. And yes, I know this first-hand.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS SPECIFIC INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Thanks so much Ann. I got tested today and am still very scared. The woman at Planned Parenthood made it sound like I was at high risk for HIV, and said I could have no idea that I was fucked the night before even being an anal virgin. So now she's got me worried even more.

Would I experience pain the next day, or just an uncomfortable feeling? Something tells me I would've sobered up really quick if I were bottoming, but I have no idea.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:37 AM »
chill,

Maybe the lady at Planned Parenthood has a problem with men being sexual with each other. That's what it sounds like to me and you'll come across that from time to time, even amongst medical professionals who are supposed to leave their personal feelings at home.

And honey, if someone shoved their dick up your bottom when you were unprepared for it, you'd wake up alright. You'd know.

I fully expect you to collect a negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:31 AM »
chill,

Maybe the lady at Planned Parenthood has a problem with men being sexual with each other. That's what it sounds like to me and you'll come across that from time to time, even amongst medical professionals who are supposed to leave their personal feelings at home.

And honey, if someone shoved their dick up your bottom when you were unprepared for it, you'd wake up alright. You'd know.

I fully expect you to collect a negative result.

Ann

Ann you are a wealth of information - thank you.

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »
Ann and others -

I have searched the forum on the risks of oral sex and it seems that some think it can lead to HIV, others don't. I have read your posts on it, Ann, but they are from last year I believe.

So, what is the deal on it? Is it safe for me to practice oral sex while I'm in my 'experimental stage' given I do not have any small sores or bleeding gums? My gums are sensitive and do tend to bleed sometimes when I brush hard - but I still have excellent oral hygiene. How at risk am I if, say worst case scenario, my gums are tender after brushing and there is a little blood?

Sorry if I'm asking the same question others are - I just don't know much about HIV other than what I've read on the welcome thread and in previous posts.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »
chill,

The risk where giving oral is concerned is more theoretical than actual. Having a meteorite fall on your head is also a theoretical risk in life. You have to decide whether that theoretical risk makes you stay indoors or not. (and a meteorite can still theoretically crash through the roof...)

The most important thing is that you make sure condoms are used for anal or vaginal intercourse. Every time, no exceptions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
chill,

The risk where giving oral is concerned is more theoretical than actual. Having a meteorite fall on your head is also a theoretical risk in life. You have to decide whether that theoretical risk makes you stay indoors or not. (and a meteorite can still theoretically crash through the roof...)

The most important thing is that you make sure condoms are used for anal or vaginal intercourse. Every time, no exceptions.

Ann

Thanks again Ann.

You say that I'd know it if I had received anal sex - how would I know? What does it feel like? And would being intoxicated relax the muscles enough so I wouldn't feel it the next day?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »
Like Ann I would say you would definitely know if you had fucked in your ass.  Even if you were so drunk that you didn't wake up when being penetrated, (unlikely), then there would certainly have been some residual soreness.

You're really hanging out in the domain of "what ifs," which is never a good idea.

We aren't going to be able to give you absolute assurance about what happened. We can only give you our experienced judgement. If that is not enough to reassure you then get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result. For sure if you keep looking elsewhere and surfing the net you are going to find plenty of stuff to stoke your fears. So control yourself and stop doing that is my serious suggestion.

This panic of yours is I suspect about having gotten more deeply into sex with another guy and not because penetration actually happened. You had some sexual play with a guy which apparently is relatively new for you. That's what the real issue is here and you're in an upset about it after the fact. If you can't cool down about it then maybe you ought to see a therapist or other professional and talk about it.

For sure you need to avoid excessive drinking in the future. Mixing that with impulsive/casual sex is a dangerous combination. Do whatever you want to do do with guys, but do it sober.

I don't see yours as an HIV situation. 
Andy Velez

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »
Like Ann I would say you would definitely know if you had fucked in your ass.  Even if you were so drunk that you didn't wake up when being penetrated, (unlikely), then there would certainly have been some residual soreness.

You're really hanging out in the domain of "what ifs," which is never a good idea.

We aren't going to be able to give you absolute assurance about what happened. We can only give you our experienced judgement. If that is not enough to reassure you then get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result. For sure if you keep looking elsewhere and surfing the net you are going to find plenty of stuff to stoke your fears. So control yourself and stop doing that is my serious suggestion.

This panic of yours is I suspect about having gotten more deeply into sex with another guy and not because penetration actually happened. You had some sexual play with a guy which apparently is relatively new for you. That's what the real issue is here and you're in an upset about it after the fact. If you can't cool down about it then maybe you ought to see a therapist or other professional and talk about it.

For sure you need to avoid excessive drinking in the future. Mixing that with impulsive/casual sex is a dangerous combination. Do whatever you want to do do with guys, but do it sober.

I don't see yours as an HIV situation. 

Thanks Andy.

I don't need a therapist - I am just curious. I was very shaken at first (especially since the sexual contact happened in NYC) and then I found this forum. You guys have really calmed my fears.

Andy - what is your take on HIV transmission via oral sex, even with, say slightly bleeding gums?

Again I'm just curious. You all seem very knowledgeable and I'm trying to take advantage of that since I do enjoy what I experienced!!! :)

Offline chillaxin230

Shot in eye - risk?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
Hello again all.

This is my second time on the forum. You guys put my mind at ease regarding oral sex - now I had a different encounter. I met a guy of unknown status and we kissed a little, and I let him ejaculate on my chest. Only problem is that I got a shot in the eye. I rubbed it, it burned, I was wearing contacts too. I wasn't able to take out my contacts because I didn't have solution on me.

I looked it up and on various sites it says "go get tested immediately" and others that have said "transmission has never happened this way, so don't worry."

I trust your opinions more than anywhere else on the net.

Do you think semen in the eye a risk for HIV, if the other male in fact was infected with the virus? Thanks for any help.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Shot in eye - risk?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »
There is not a single documented case of HIV being transmitted this way. as a risk, it exists in the realm of theory and imaginative television. But in reality, has not ever been proven.

I would not recommend testing over this event. But I sympathize with the pain. Makes you want to consider goggles.

It never fails to sadden me when I hear about other sites who offer such an alarmist and outdated view of HIV (often parroting other sites and other, more outdated information). Fortunately, AIDSMEDS relies solely on the most current first-tiered peer-reviewed scientific data available. In that manner, we sort of created a first-rate transmission/prevention site from the ground up, and are the more credible for having done so.

I hope this has helped.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline chillaxin230

Re: Shot in eye - risk?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:03 PM »
Yes it's helped a little.

I was thinking the split nano-second it was in the air would kill the virus, but then again, its a split second so I'm not sure.

Anyone else think I should test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »
First of all I have merged your new thread with your previous one. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

No, I don't think you need to get tested over this incident. I've never known of a case of transmission in this manner, although theoretically it could be possible. But theory and the real world of HIV are two different things.

I do note that you seem to have a lot of anxiety around the whole issue of sex and HIV. While it is a very serious concern, I suggest you might find it worthwhile to see a counselor or other professional to discuss how highly charged these experiences have been for you. Sex ought to be enjoyable and you can enjoy it the safer way as long as you consistently follow a pretty simple rule -- specifically always using a condom for intercourse.

I don't see cause for concern about this incident.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline chillaxin230

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »
Thanks Andy. Best wishes to you

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.