Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Truvada for prevention if neg?

<< < (2/2)

Ann:

--- Quote ---When I questioned exactly what he meant he likened it to a morning after pill. 
--- End quote ---

Hi General... and welcome to the forum BTW.

I think what your friend was talking about was something called PEP - Post-Exposure Prophylactic. It is taken after an exposure to hiv and it isn't a "morning after" pill, it is four week regimen of toxic drugs that might stop hiv from replicating and infecting the body.

It's only in fairly recent times that it has been available for use after a sexual exposure. It's mainly been used in a medical setting when a health care worker has had a needle-stick injury while caring for an hiv positive person, or a person whose hiv status is not available.

The experimental preventative method Cliff and the guys are talking about is something taken BEFORE a possible exposure, while PEP is something taken AFTER a possible exposure - hence the belief some have that it is a "morning after pill", when in fact it is not just the morning after, but twenty eight mornings after.

Hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Ann

General:
Thanks to all who offered answers...very helpful.  :) 

J.R.E.:
Hello ,

And I believe the following link may be a little more current Reguarding Truvada testing. From TPAN :
Scroll to the bottle...

http://www.tpan.com/publications/pa/jul_aug_06/news_briefs.shtml#story11

"From Viread to Truvada

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has expanded its research into the prevention of HIV using HIV medication. The study uses the HIV drug Viread to see if it prevents infection due to sexual exposure. It will now also test the HIV drug Truvada, which is a two-in-one pill combo of Viread and Emtriva. Recently reported results with monkeys found Truvada to be even more effective than Viread alone. Viread is being tested in Atlanta and San Francisco for prevention in men who have sex with men (MSM), and the CDC will add a third U.S. city (not yet identified) to study the use of Truvada for prevention among MSM.—EV"

Ray

jp in la:

--- Quote from: J.R.E. on July 30, 2006, 01:44:22 AM ---Hello ,

And I believe the following link may be a little more current Reguarding Truvada testing. From TPAN :
Scroll to the bottle...

http://www.tpan.com/publications/pa/jul_aug_06/news_briefs.shtml#story11

"From Viread to Truvada

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has expanded its research into the prevention of HIV using HIV medication. The study uses the HIV drug Viread to see if it prevents infection due to sexual exposure. It will now also test the HIV drug Truvada, which is a two-in-one pill combo of Viread and Emtriva. Recently reported results with monkeys found Truvada to be even more effective than Viread alone. Viread is being tested in Atlanta and San Francisco for prevention in men who have sex with men (MSM), and the CDC will add a third U.S. city (not yet identified) to study the use of Truvada for prevention among MSM.—EV"

Ray

--- End quote ---

I came here tonight doing some research on the general consensus regarding re-infection and/or superinfection and came across this particular thread.  So, let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Truvada does have some effectivness in preventing HIV infection.  Two questions:

1.  What if one were to be exposed to a strain that was resistent to the drugs in Truvada?
2.  If one is on Truvada anyway (as I am), would that imply that you might be even less at risk of re-infection??

Discuss.

newt:
JP, I started another thread to discuss your questions.

- matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version