POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 638905
  • Total Topics: 48503
  • Online Today: 190
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More political junk  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
More political junk
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »
I got an email with this link yesterday.

http://www.theurbangrind.net/?p=2570

I watched it today. I'm not on any side politically. I have not made a decision about who I will vote for. I am not vouching the accuracy of the information on the video. I have no desire to debate. I just found it interesting enough to share it with you.

Offline Dachshund

Re: More political junk
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »
You're right it's junk. Just more viral bullshit circulating on the internet meant to frighten and demonize. It's sad people are so gullible.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/05/behind-the-obam.html
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:13:13 PM by Dachshund »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
This is crap put out by right-wing mud-slingers.  I personally would vote for Mickey Mouse over McCain. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »
It saddens me that someone would even post this racist crap in our forums.  Just sayin'.

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »
So, Miss Winiroo... what kind of people do you know that would email this to you in the first place?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »
I got an email with this link yesterday.

http://www.theurbangrind.net/?p=2570

I watched it today. I'm not on any side politically. I have not made a decision about who I will vote for. I am not vouching the accuracy of the information on the video. I have no desire to debate. I just found it interesting enough to share it with you.

Why on earth would you find this one-sided propaganda video interesting enough to share with us - I couldn't get through 5 mins of it.  You say you have no desire to debate -- then why did you do this?  I'm confused and not a little bit mystified.
My thinks you know exactly who you are voting for (or against, as the case may be) and you posted this crap for a reason.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline Grinch

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
I believe I'll be voting for Obama because though I don't necessarily believe in where he's leading us at least he IS leading, as opposed to the rest.

That being said I find it odd that Wini of all people gets called on the carpet for posting this.  For the 4 years I've been visiting these forums there has been a steady stream of anti-bush anti republican commentary.

Yet Wini posts one anti-obama, anti-democrat link and pow!  Crucified. Is this one not just as offensive?
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=21573.0

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
I'm surprised people on here would object to her posting this. She didn't endorse the video. I thought it was interesting which smear tactics people out there are using to attack Obama. Frankly after watching the video I thought "13 minutes and this is the best you could come up with?" They spent so much time focusing on his name I half expected them to introduce frightening anagrams.  ::) Pretty pathetic and quite offensive no matter which political party you belong to.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
Yep, usually you would post that crap.

You know Grinch you lurk around here only to crawl out from under your conservative rock spewing bitterness. We get it you think there is a double standard applied to h*e*t*e*r*o*s*e*x*u*a*l*s.

You hide behind I'm voting for Obama and Winnie's skirt to try and score another of your lame, "see the forums has a double standard" tired old bullshit. It ain't about the video (which I doubt you even watched) or Winnie, as always it's about you. If you want to compare humor to racism to make a political point, well so be it. If you can compare both videos as equal, then I know all I need to know.

I've been on the forums about as long as you Grinch and never once have you said a positive word to anyone about anything.

Winnie posted a racist video about Obama, maybe she didn't understand it, but she sure needed it pointed out to her. As her guardian angel and a supposed Obama supporter you should point that out to her instead of using her to try and score some ridiculous cheap points.

Bush is a criminal and so are most Republicans.

edited down memory lane

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4406.msg50115#msg50115

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:22:57 PM by Dachshund »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
I'm surprised people on here would object to her posting this.

Really? You're actually surprised people would respond? People who post racist bullshit, no matter how sincere, need to be called on it. Winnie said she didn't want to debate it so she had a pretty good idea which way the debate would go. She said she found it interesting, how so? Freedom to post does not guarantee you freedom from response.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:07:46 PM by Dachshund »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
I expected people to say this is racist bullshit, because that's what it is. I'm surprised people would insinuate that it should not be posted on here. I was glad to see what McCain's supporters are putting out there. Maybe it was her non-commital comments that changed the context for some people.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
I'm really surprised how many people where quick to throw me under the bus as if I had given an opinion about the video.
I know people who are Democrats and I know people who are Republicans. So yeah, obviously I got the link from a Republican.

I think knowledge is power. I'm interested in the good and the bad as far as what is out there on any candidate.

If it had been a smear video on McCain I wonder how many of you would have blasted me.
I also find that interesting....

I wont take any of this personally. But rather I will consider that the video was such a shock to some of you that rather than just attack the video I got a little of the backlash.

Much love to you all.

BTW I would love to have the opinions on both side of the fence. I find it helpful in deciding who I believe would make a better president.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Wendy,

I think it might have been the ambiguity in your OP that has caused some confusion:

I mean why post a video that (at the very least) is designed to provoke debate if you have no interest in debate in the first place?

MtD

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »
Because I have no opinion on Obama. Therefore I have nothing to debate.

I take that back the only opinion I have of him is that he speaks well and is an attractive man.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
If it had been a smear video on McCain I wonder how many of you would have blasted me.
I also find that interesting....

But you didn't post a smear video on McCain did you? I find that interesting.

If you think this type of video advances political debate fine, but don't expect people to sit by silently and say nothing.

I don't care who would have posted it I would have said the same thing, and since I took the time to watch this bile I hope you took the time to read the links I provided debunking this crap.

free your mind.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
Wendy -- I've been watching you post here for some time, and have come to really like you. Your participation in these forums amazes me each and every day, especially the caring way to treat other members.  So please don't take this personally.  I THINK YOU'RE GREAT!

BUT, the video was not even close to reasonable political discourse.  And you are wrong -- if someone here had posted a video that merged imagery of McCain with white-hooded members of the Ku Klux Klan, I would have objected just as strongly.  

This video merged imagery of Obama with an Al Qaeda terrorist holding the severed head of an American after a famous beheading in Iraq.  It was a highly offensive video, on many levels.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »
I did not post it to endorse it. I guess I did not say enough initially.
Finding something interesting and agreeing with its content is not the same for me.

I apologise to anyone who was offended. It was not my intent.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 09:33:15 AM »
I think knowledge is power.

Wendy, I feel the same way about knowledge.  But that video is not an example of "knowledge."  It is an example of pure ignorance.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 09:41:24 AM »
I saw it as knowledge in the sense that you know how other people think. I am sure that aside from the person or persons who made the video there is a demographic of persons who will believe every bit of information that was on the video.

For instance.

I had an argument with the elderly man I take care of not terribly long ago regarding Obama. The elderly man is Jewish and insisted that Senator Obama is a Muslim and therefore should not be trusted or voted for.

I corrected him and admonished him for believing such a thing. He is mentally ill and not likely to vote but if I correct him he will go back to the person who told him this dribble in the first place and correct them.

I just like to know what people think. It interests me.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 07:34:16 AM »

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lieódeliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the mythópersistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
                                   ~JFK

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
There was a front page article in Saturday's New York Times about one of the political operatives who peddle in videos like this:

Ready to Attack Obama, if Some Money Arrives
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/us/politics/21ads.html

Enter Mr. Brown, who says it is his calling to tread where the campaign is unwilling to tread in finding malicious gossip on a Democratic nominee.

...Mr. Brown is spreading the word about his videos through an e-mail list that he said had 2.5 million names. His goal is to produce at least one Web advertisement every two weeks, spread the word with e-mail and hope they catch on.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »
You know, when you share little pieces of your life and thoughts and feelings online for a while its easy to forget that the people reading you do not really know you.
That was the mistake I made when I posted initially. I will try to be more careful in the future. I believe that if many of the responders personally knew me there would never had been any question as to my integrity and or character.

I'll drop the subject now..

Sounds to me like Mr. Brown's motivation is more for the money than anything. Or at least that is how I read it.
I'm no theologian so I had to look up the Bible verse that was quoted at the beginning of the article to figure out what the heck he was talking about. LOL
To save other ignorant people the trouble it was 2 Corinthians 12:9. Paul is describing himself as a sinner who is pleading for mercy at the throne of God. To be honest I still don't fully get it. The Bible is very confusing to me.

Anywho. I liked reading this. It was very informative and I know I have been using this word a lot and its beginning to even annoy me but it was interesting.  ;D

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
Republicans are not the only ones attacking Obama.  The source of the Michelle Obama "whitey video" was actually a Hillary supporter, Larry Johnson, who writes the blog NO QUARTER.  If you want to see a really unhinged person just wade in there for a few minutes.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I had an argument with the elderly man I take care of not terribly long ago regarding Obama. The elderly man is Jewish and insisted that Senator Obama is a Muslim and therefore should not be trusted or voted for.

I corrected him and admonished him for believing such a thing. He is mentally ill and not likely to vote but if I correct him he will go back to the person who told him this dribble in the first place and correct them.

I respectfully ask you why is what you did with regards to this elderly gentleman any different than what many here tried to do with you? Point out that this video is not political discourse but racist drivel.

I'm still confused as to why you found it interesting in the first place.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
I never saw the whitey video. I wonder if I google that if it would pop up.
Ohhh it seems as if the whitey video is a rumored and likely never to have existed video.
I did however find this and it was highly humorous to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZi6U811hxE

The No Quarter page was too much of a cluster fuck for me to read much on it. Sorry for the salty language. I've got a naughty mouth.  ;D
I did watch the entire deprogramming video. That was entertaining.
I used a thesaurus to find another word other than interesting. My choices are  captivating, challenging, compelling, enchanting, entertaining, intriguing and stimulating.

I prefer interesting but I am sick of saying it.  ::) I know I am a weirdo.

But I like me...

Dachshund I'm sorry I was not able to explain how things interest me enough to make you happy. I thought I did quite well.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
Wendy,

To be frank, I don't think you owe anyone an explanation.  People on these boards post things all the time for discussion and not all seem to need to justify their intentions.

It is all part of the political landscape at this moment and I think you have every right to say that something caught your eye and asking if anybody had feedback on it without the need to repeatedly explain yourself.  If explaining oneself was a criteria for every post I suspect that some peoples post histories would drop dramatically to say the least.

As for the video itself, it is pretty much what we should expect as far as distortion in an election period.  Lot's of comments out of context, lots of misrepresentations and lots of hysteria that is based off of being out of touch with realty.

I actually thank you for posting this, because it is through such propaganda that I feel more certain that the extremities of both parties (Republican or Democrat) are more intersted in trying to scare people about how it's an all or nothing choice then to allow people the allowance that we are intelligent enough to see  and judge a candidates merit based off of their own interest.

Unfortunately people on both sides of the aisle consider their self interest of more merit then the others.

For me - the choice is Obama - but that is not because of hate of Republicans or even fear of them, but because he simply speaks best for my interests.  I have no shame in saying this, and in fact I take great pride in knowing that my interests align with those that signify the possible greatest change in the power structure of this country since the civil rights movement.

Your posted video only confirms that such change is necessary and right, and I thank you.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:34:02 PM by Iggy »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
Thank you. I was pretty much done explaining myself. I don't think there would be anything I could add. I appreciate your post.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDi1Vi-2qo

My granny was right when she said water seeks it's own level.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »
edit: Never mind - it wasn't adding to the conversation
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:00:17 PM by Iggy »

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:42:49 AM »
A boy can dream...

Of having discussions of policy differences and the impact that many important decisions have on the lives and livelihoods of a populous...

Or you can click on that site and a million others, turn on the idiot box in HD and listen to the vitriolic tripe.

This is where I say I'm disgusted and sad.  Disgusted and sad that my very life is tied to a political Act which gets voted up or down mostly downward) every three years.  Disgusted and sad that I served 8 years in the military--most of them in places where they shoot at you--and I thought I was defending something noble.  I guess I was...the nobility of being able to be anything but honorable because someone else is paying with their time and lives.

I SOOOO love when folks jump up and down with patriotic fervor...become especially vehement when they use it to justify economic expansionism of their own co-investors....hmmm..interesting that most of the people I hear yelling about patriotism NEVER seemed to find their way into a recruiters office to do a hitch.

Oh well, no one said you had to be intelligent or be concerned with the welfare of your fellow citizens..if so FOX news would have nothing to air ;-)  Oh well..oh gosh oh...oh...o bama obama  OBAMA OBAMA  ;-)

Peace...
this message brought to you by a member of the ACLU. NAACP and Veterans for Peace-- an unashamed progressive

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.