Main Forums > Living With HIV

Considering a Vacation from Meds

(1/5) > >>

ACinKC:
Hey guys,

I am currently on Sustiva and Truvada and have been having some sleep issues to say the least.  I sleep but am NEVER rested due to the vivid dreams...ANYYYYYWAY,  I am about to get married in October and travel to St Lucia for 10 days for a honeymoon.  I have recently been considering a break from the meds just to feel normal again for awhile, my question is this....

Would you guys take a scheduled/planned medicine break over the honeymoon?  Less issues with sleep and partying and getting meds into another country. Not to mention I would actually get to REST some at night!  And if so, how to go about this while minimizing the risk of drug resistance in the future? 

Thanks for your help on this guys!

Oh and by the way the numbers are
VL-undetectable
cd4-729
cd4%- 34 or 36%

Eldon:
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. It's a good thing to have a companion by your side to share your life with. Now as far as taking a vacation on your meds, I wouldn't advise it due to the factor of resistance coming into play.

According to my Doctor and other speakers on HIV/AIDS, it is recommended that you take your meds as prescribed by your Doctor. Without skipping doses.

It's a choice you have to make.

newt:
Hello AC

In terms of taking a 3-week break....in principle, not necessarily bad, but the difficulty here is that, on stopping, Sustiva lingers in the body for a long time, which means that it is present at a low dose that the virus can adapt to.  This causes strong resistance to Sustiva in about 50% of people. 

However, replacing Sustiva with a PI for 1-3 weeks (depends on the doc) is a standard and it seems effective method of avoiding this. 

A break of 3 weeks is unlikely to be a bad thing.  But....HIV will be running like wildfire through your body within 5 days of stopping meds, and this may make you quite ill, like flu, which may not be the best way to enjoy a honeymoon....this is not a certain event but definitely possible....

If you are having no night's decent sleep then maybe, wedding n all coming up, now is a good time to discuss the idea of switching Sustiva for something else equally as good well in advance of the trip.  This basically means a PI.  If you want to stick to a once a day dosing schedule then Reyataz (boosted with a small dose of ritonavir) is probably the least side effect free PI around at the moment, but there some other 1 x day options.

I hope the wedding and honeymoon and life thereafter are glorious.  And that you sleep eventually  ;)

- matt

sfca415:
Vacations (from meds -- not the honeymoon kind) seem not to be getting good reviews these days. 

If you think the dream/sleep issues are not going away, and you suspect Sustiva, why not talk to your MD about therapy with different meds? 

And if you do switch, fill your prescription a week or so before you start using it, so you'll never run out if you have a delay picking up your meds.

Have a great time on your trip!

Rob

Moffie65:

--- Quote from: ACinKC on July 24, 2006, 04:55:51 PM ---Would you guys take a scheduled/planned medicine break over the honeymoon? ...............................  And if so, how to go about this while minimizing the risk of drug resistance in the future? 

Thanks for your help on this guys!

Oh and by the way the numbers are
VL-undetectable
cd4-729
cd4%- 34 or 36%
--- End quote ---

If you want my personal opinion, the answer would be no........ Sorry NO!  I gotta tell you, medication breaks are for people that do not understand how these medications work, and how the virus works.  Remember this is a mutant virus, and only when we keep it surpressed in the blood stream, are we even capable of winning the fight for survival.  I know you want a nice long life, and a happy marriage, and one of the things you are going to have to do to accomplish this is take the medications for the rest of your natural life.  Medication breaks used to be considered OK, but lately I know of no doctors that are advocating it and if they do, I would be very suspicious of their HIV knowledge.

I told you this is my personal opinion, and of course it is up to you, but for a temporary respite, I would highly advise against it.  It could lead to a long drawn out medication failure, and that would not be a fun trade off.  Remember this is now a MANAGABLE disease, but if you screw with it, it can and will lead to premature DEATH. 

In Love and Happiness at your marriage announcement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version