POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 12:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631568
  • Total Topics: 47806
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Adherence; pneumonia & Springsteen - my update!  (Read 1817 times)

Offline gemini20

Adherence; pneumonia & Springsteen - my update!
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »
Since my last appointment in April I resolved to try and address my adherence issues and guess what IF I choose to be compliant I can do it.

I have taken every dose of meds for the last six weeks just to prove I can do it IF I want to. Certainly not having to think about taking food every time has made it a lot easier for me to be 100% compliant. It was an interesting personal challenge and has actually thrown up more questions than answers for me in relation to the choices I make with my life. But itís important for me to know that I can do something if I put my mind to it.

I would have hoped with my new found commitment to the meds that I could forget any worries about HIV but just as a little reminder that I still have a crap immune system I suddenly came down with viral pneumonia a couple of weeks ago and ended up on a weekís worth of two antibiotics.

Thankfully feeling much better now, probably the 3 Springsteen gigs last week were the perfect tonic for my recovery and with two more to look forward to in the weeks either side of my birthday(20th) I will be back to full health. (thanks Bruce!)

Got latest numbers back today, t-cells no real change 221 from 217 but a jump in percentage from 21.5% to 27% so thatís encouraging; viral load not back but doctor expects it still to be undetectable. I was hoping for a few more t-cells so I might have been able to think about a summer break from meds but looks like I might not be getting one this year.

Not sure where I go from here, the adherence issue seems to be sorted for the time being so I guess I should try and tackle the food issues next!

Best wishes,

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Robert

Re: Adherence; pneumonia & Springsteen - my update!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
Hi Ermma.

It sounds like you're getting a grip on  your adherence issues.  That's good (I'm impressed by your %, b the way...no bad...not bad at all).  But don't let it become an 'either-or' thing.  I mean don't get down on yourself if you miss, for whatever reason. 

Now, let's get to the real meat of the matter.  "...the 3 Springsteen gigs last week were the perfect tonic for my recovery and with two more to look forward to either side of my birthday(20th) I will be back to full health. (thanks Bruce!)".  I'd say this is a severe case of over-dosing.  Not quite sure what the cure is but I hope you can find something soon. 

robert

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »

Not sure where I go from here, the adherence issue seems to be sorted for the time being so I guess I should try and tackle the food issues next!

Best wishes,

Emma

It's good to hear that your being adherant to the meds. Yep,.... One thing at a time, but I agree, try to get the food issues sorted out also ...

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
Good to see your update Emma!  I may need to do some backreading, but what are the food issues? And congrats on seeing Springsteen so many times yet again...I've seen most of my favourites at least once, a few never, and one possibly in September.

Offline bearby

• April 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
Well Emma the first step to dealing with the food issues is t talk to a nutritionist in my opinion .
 I had a few of the usual side effects from  my cock tail of combivir & kaletra but like every one else they passed soon enough .
 Then  of course there was the issue of eating and trying to gain weight .
 My id dr.  gave me a monthly supply of Ensure  to drink with my meds when I didn't feel like eating or just plain  did not want to eat for fear of retching it all back up then having to go back to square one.
 Well after an extremely long session with the nutritionist we discovered that I had the all encompassing GERD from which my chronic bronchitis and copd emerged .
ON the nutritionist's refferal my id dr gave me tagamet( OK I'm so cheap that i was getting the generic rantadine) which worked for a while and when I began kevetching to her that  was  not able to sleep at night because of the phlegm building up in the back of mt throat we came to the conclusion it was time for a med change .
 I went to wally world to pick up my usual monthly supply of scripts when I saw a brochure from the compant that makes nexium and already knowing  the amount that I had spent  out of pocket called and was able to get a 15 day supply to take and see if it worked .
 Believe u me I am now happy and FAT too boot ( OK maybe fat was a  string word to have used in this case ) but still I am maintaining a weight of between 177 &189 lbs to which my dr is nearly ecstatic about after all those first years of my aids diagnosis and weighing in at a measly 155 lbs so honey talk to any one and every one ask questions and empower u r self to care for your self cuz if not YOU then WHO !
Have you preformed your random act of kindness today ?

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »
hearing good news about my friends always brightens my day (and boy have I needed some "brightening" lately). I'm glad to hear that you're doing okay and having a great time with all those concerts  ;D

You and I both know how hard adherence can be and I'm proud of you for sticking to it for a while. You might as well stay it with through the summer and see how things go after that  ;)

:-* mikie
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.