Off Topic Forums > Forums Gatherings

Travel Questions thread... Post your concerns here.

(1/7) > >>

Oscar:
Now that the Montreal gathering is a month away I had a few questions that need to be answered.

1. Will my Verizon cell phone work in Canada? & does anyone think it would be a good idea to collect cell phone #'s from members in case we need to call someone if a member is held up due to unforseen travel "problems?" ie: delayed flights etc...

2. Where do I get my U.S. $ converted to Canadian currency? Should I carry cash or  use my bank card or purchase a prepaid Visa? I don't like the idea of carrying a large amount of cash on me.

3. What about meds? Do they need to be in the original pill bottle or can I put them in my weekly pill box?

4. Are their buses to go from the airport to the hotel? & where would they be, how much do they cost?

That's all I can think of at the moment. If anyone else has any concerns that they want to express do it here.

Sorry if these sound like silly questions, but I'm not a seasoned air traveller.

Thanks,

Dan

Jody:
Hi Dan...I'm not certain about cell phones but I think for many folks it was outside their area, so you might bring a pre-paid calling card of some kind that works in the U.S. and Canada... 

In Toronto they had a store that converted currency...I believe as we speak an American dollar is worth about 1.05 or so Canadian, but I think it is more expensive to convert the money at the airport...It is best to use a credit card and when you get your bill the next month if you paid 100 Canadian dollars for an item it will be converted to U.S. and your bill will be reduced as such...

Always save your prior months meds bottles and if you take just what you need for your stay (and always a few extra pills) keep them in the bottles they came in with all the necessary info like the med names and your name and your doctors name.....

I believe there is a shuttle from the airport to the downtown bus station that Claude says is near our hotel.  It is much less than a cab, probably around 20 dollars and you might be able to purchase a ticket (round-trip if you want) and I would do it on my credit card if possible.

Jody

jkinatl2:
I have some remarkably stupid questions.

Are power outlets the same? Do I need adapters?

more to come I am sure :)

The Canuck:

--- Quote ---Are power outlets the same? Do I need adapters?
--- End quote ---

You don't need any adpaters this is the same here as in the USA.

--- Quote ---I believe there is a shuttle from the airport to the downtown bus station that Claude says is near our hotel.  It is much less than a cab, probably around 20 dollars and you might be able to purchase a ticket (round-trip if you want) and I would do it on my credit card if possible.
--- End quote ---

If you take the shuttle from the aiprort / Berri Bus Station the cost is approx. $14.00 CAD ( $12.00 USD ) and a round trip would be less, something like $18.00 CAD  ( $15.50 USD ) ( not completely certain for the round trip cost as I never used it that way but this is most certainly cheaper than only a one way ticket ).

Indeed you can easily walk from the Berri Station to the hotel as this is very close.

Regards,

The Canuck

The Canuck:
Jonathan,

I forgot..this is correct you don't need an adapter but you do need a translator.  ;D

Regards,

The Canuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version