POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 04:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639272
  • Total Topics: 48529
  • Online Today: 223
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question For the Experienced..  (Read 2184 times)

Offline WillyWump

• your ramblings bore Yamaguchi Kitteh
Question For the Experienced..
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:12:12 PM »
Hi, Newbie here with my first post, yay me!

I wasnt sure where to post this, but my question is about chronic swollen Lymph nodes. All my lymph nodes are swollen (neck, back, groin, head, etc) and have not gone down since seroconversion. Ive gotten used to them and can finally sleep with them but they are still annoying to me. Do these ever go away or get better??? My doctor said not to worry about it...but of course I worry about it. I really haven't seen too much talk about swollen lymph nodes. Any experiences or ideas on this???

No other symptoms except very fatigued....

Seroconverted in Dec 07, diagnosed JAn 08, first lab results were March08 and were CD4-455 (24%) VL-32500.

Also, what does the 24% indicate in the above figures?

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline dgr20002

Re: Question For the Experienced..
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »
Hi there,

It has been my experience that swollen lymph nodes come and go over time. The ones under my arms and in my groin used to be the most swollen, and there were times that they were even sore. I think the more you poke at them the more tender they will become, so leave them alone :-)  The one under my right arm has always been the largest for some reason but it does not hurt it is just there and I do not bother it. I think it is a sign that the lymphocytes are fighting infection.

As far as the percentage goes i would suggest you google "cd4 percentage"  You will get a lot on answers. The first one that comes up will give you a good explanation and here is a link

http://aids.about.com/od/aidsfactsheets/a/cd4percent.htm

Welcome to the forums. You will have lots of questions so ask away :-)

David

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »
Welcome Willy,

I agree completely with David.  Leave them alone and eventually they will settle back down and hopefully you should see a nice return of your energy.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline blue2boy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:04:24 AM »
I had a few.they disappeared when I  started taking meds.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
Under my right arm tends to be my target also , though there was one day I the left made its presence known. My left groin too...usually go down in aobut 1-2 days in spite of me. (I'm like a dog who has a boo boo and can't leave it alone ::))

By the way, Welcome to the forums.
ronnie
"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Sept '09  6 blood clots in left arm
Coumadin 5mgs

Atenolol/50mg/2x
Hydrochlorth 25mg/1x
Gemfibrozil/300mgs/2X
Symbicort
Proventil Inhaler
Potassium
Rhinocort

*APR 08~Viramune/Truvada
March08  CD4 330 23% VL 452.000 
*Jan09 Med change~Epzicom/Viramune

Aug09   CD4 523 23%  VL<48
Diagnosed: COPD
Dec 2013: CD4 645 45% VL 49
Med Change: Viramune/Epivir/Ziagen/Isentress

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »

Seroconverted in Dec 07, diagnosed JAn 08, first lab results were March08 and were CD4-455 (24%) VL-32500.

Also, what does the 24% indicate in the above figures?

-Will

Will -- welcome to our forums!  My name is Peter, and I founded this site about 8 years ago.  Glad you found us!

The 24% is the percentage of total lymphocytes you have that our CD4 cells.  You should check out some of our "lessons" on AIDSmeds, including this one on T-Cells (CD4 Cells):
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/TCellTest_4727.shtml

There's a section on the CD4% that says this:

What is the T4 Percentage?

If you look at your lab report, you will also see something called your CD4+ percentage (%). This is an important number for you and your doctor to know. In healthy adults, the number of T4 cells make up between 32% and 68% of the total number of lymphocytes—a large group of white blood cells that include T4 cells, T8 cells (see below), and B-cells. In fact, the lab uses the T4 percentage to determine the number of T4 cells in a sample of blood.

The T4 percentage is sometimes a more reliable measurement than the T4 count because it tends to vary less between measurements. For example, one person's T4 count may vary between 200 and 300 over a several month period while their T4 percentage remains constant at, say, 21%. Provided that the T4 percentage stays at 21% or higher, the immune system still appears to be functioning properly, regardless of what the T4 count is. At the same time, a T4 percentage at or below 13%—regardless of what the actual T4 count is—usually means that the immune system is damaged and that it is time to begin prophylactic treatment (drugs to prevent diseases) for opportunistic infections like PCP.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »
Welcome to the forums Will.  I never had an identifiable seroconversion incident but I did suddenly have significantly swollen lymph nodes in November of 2006.  That was what led me to go to the doctor and led her to test me for several things and find out that I was HIV+.   At first, I wondered if they would ever go back to normal size.  But after several months on meds and getting my viral load undetectable, they have returned to normal size.  Every now and then I still feel for the one giant one that was on the back of my neck and sure enough, no sign of it at all.  So that's my experience for what it's worth.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline WillyWump

• your ramblings bore Yamaguchi Kitteh
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »
Thank you all. There is so much to learn *sigh*. Ill definately read up on what exactly the labs mean. I like my Doctor, she's really good, I think... but she is all business and gives me my numbers, slaps me on the hiney and sends me on my way, not really alot of detailed info from her. I guess I need to be more forthcoming with my questions to her.

I guess I should be thankful that all I have to bitch about is my swollen glands :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:56:46 PM by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:19:26 AM »
Sometimes I find it helpful to write down all the questions I want to ask and just bring them with me to the doctors office.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 07:09:54 AM »
Sometimes I find it helpful to write down all the questions I want to ask and just bring them with me to the doctors office.

It's also helpful to write down the answers to the questions. I can't tell you how many times I forgot the answer ten minutes after walking out of the office.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline richva

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
Hiya!

Like Blixer, swollen lymph nodes are what first alerted me to something not being quite right.  That was in the spring of 1992, and in my case they've remained swollen since then.  Over the years they've acted up at times, but they've never caused anything more than come-and-go, mild discomfort.  And, having recently started my first ARV meds, I can report that the swelling seems to be lessening.

Rich

08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
03/25/2008 (YUP - 16 years later!) CD4 336/21% VL 217,000; started meds
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »
Hello Will,

Welcome to the forums. My experiences are, that lymph nodes will increase in size at times. I don't remember much of an increase in them, when I seroconverted back in 1985. Since 2003 they have enlarged a couple of times, always going back to normal.

Make sure to ask your doctor, if a complete STD scan has been done. If not, it should be done also.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.