Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:34:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 211
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: window period for testing  (Read 10123 times)

Offline lostone08

window period for testing
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:28:14 pm »
hello everyone thanks you for taking the time to read my thread i am a 25 year old hetrosexual male on jan 18th i had an exposure while on a trip in vietnam i had unprotected vaginal with a csw 3 weeks after that i feel i experienced all the ars symptoms it last 2-3 weeks i got tested at 8 weeks 10 weeks and 11 weeks 3 days it all came back neg my docotors tell me i am conclusive however i am not convinced because i have read and seen a lot of people on the "just tested positive" forum test positive after the 3 month window period so my questions are i tested neg at 11 weeks 3 days is that conclusive or not because i was 4 days short of 12 weeks? whats the reason people seroconvert late? do i still need more testing? please help

Offline lostone08

Re: window period for testing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 05:13:28 pm »
also i am getting these weird rashes they are kind of like blotchy with white boils or something i woke up today and had one on the side of my neck

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:47:03 pm »

Only a small group of people seroconvert after the 13 week window period, this group includes those who are receiving immuno-suppressive therapy after transplant procedures, cancer patients who are receiving chemotherapy and long term injecting drug users.

If you are sexually active then you should be using condoms for vaginal/anal sex at all times..NO EXCEPTIONS.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline lostone08

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »
thanks for the response well i dont fall in any of those categories except my liver enzymes ahve been elevated over the last few years so is it safe to say i am conclusive at 11 weeks 3 days now or do i have to re test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:30:41 pm »
I wouldn't consider further testing to be necessary. However, if it's going to linger in your mind and disturb you the simple answer is to get tested at 13 weeks, collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result again, and get on with your life.

For future reference, you can have intercourse the safer way with as many partners as you like regardless of their HIV status. You just have to make sure you always use a condom. They provide very effective protection.
Andy Velez

Offline lostone08

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:17:34 am »
have you guys ever seen anyone test neg at 11 weeks 3 days and then positive after with a healthy immune system? yea i will never not use protection again i was just really drunk and blacked out i felt good about my results until i read the "i just tested positive" forum and seen there was quite a bit of cases tested positive after 3 months is there a reason for it?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 06:53:57 am »
Lost,

Many of the people in that forum will say they tested at such and such a date and tested negative, then tested again at a later date and tested positive. What they're not mentioning is that they test regularly as a matter of routiine and they had risky experiences between test "A" and test "B".

Or sometimes they will not mention that test "A" was done far too early in the window period. This can make it look like they tested positive outside the window period.

And by the way, we don't really appreciate people trawling the forums meant for positive people and bringing their stuff back here to ask questions about. This forum is a place to ask questions about you, not them. Make sure you read the posting guidelines in the Welcome thread.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv. You're hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lostone08

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:07:46 am »
Ann,

a smile and a handshake i really apreciate the informative answers you gave me that makes a lot of sense now i am sorry for trawling your guys forums i want you to know my intentions were good i just wasnt very educated about hiv till now last question at 11 weeks 3 days 82 days 4 days short of 12 weeks can i conclusively say i am negative and starting having sex with my wife again? or should i go test again at 13 week mark and continue not to have sex wit my wife anyone and everyones feed back is greatly apreciated thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:58:35 am »
Lost,

You're hardly going to seroconvert in those last four days (the official window in the UK and most of Europe is twelve weeks) of the window period. However, it's up to you. If the only way you can truly put this behind you is to test at the American thirteen week cut off, then do so. Just don't expect to come here every day to wring your hands about it in the meantime.

Your chances of testing positive were slim in the first place. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. You did have a risk and you did need to test, but if you haven't seroconverted by now, you're not going to.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lostone08

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:44:30 am »
ok one more question that has been bothering me and i have not been able to get a clear answer the hiv tests i took were for hiv 1 and hiv 2 not my exposure was in vietnam if i was infected with a different strain only found over there would the tests in the us still be able to pick them up? another thing is there different strains of hiv found over there that is uncommon in the us? thanks again guys you are keeping me sane

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:19:09 am »
Lost,

The tests you took would pick up any strain. If there was a different strain in Vietnam you needed to worry about, we would have told you. There isn't one. Hiv type 2 is normally only found in West Africa and in West African immigrant communities in Europe.

It's time you got on with your life. Remember to use condoms corrrectly and consistently and you'll be fine where hiv is concerned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lostone08

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:32:39 am »
ok i just got tested again today at 14 weeks 4 days with the rapid finger prick for hiv 1/2 it came back negative am i now officially no doubt 100 percent conclusive or do i need to re test at 6 as i am seeing and reading differenmt info from different sites

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:47:40 am »
You are conclusively HIV negative. You do not need to test again at 6 months. Please remember that you will not be permitted to question the validity of your negative result in this forum.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:16:07 am »
The smart thing you can do is to stop searching other sites for fuel to feed your fears. You are reliably and conclusively HIV negative. Period. End of story. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline lostone08

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:29 am »
thank you everyone for the answers i just had one last dumb question about a month ago i went to a massage parlor and good a massage with a happy ending (handjob) a few days after i hurt for me to urinate so i went to the clininc they diagnosed me with ngu i know for sure i got it from that encounter because i had no other ones so my question is since i got ngu from this encounter does it put me at risk for hiv again?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 05:46:12 am »
lost,

NO, it does not. A handjob, no matter what details you can think of to add to it, is not a risk for hiv infection.

It's time you moved on with your life. Remember to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lostone08

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 07:38:05 am »
even if she touched her vaginal fluids and then touch my penis rite after?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:54:47 am »
Lost,

Even if her hand was dripping in vaginal fluids when she touched your penis, and even if she was hiv positive, you did not have a risk for hiv infection during this or any other handjob.

Once again, it's time you moved on with your life.

Remember to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lostone08

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »
thanks! i dont know why but hiv is still on my mind everyday i tested neg all the way up to 15 weeks now i am just scared i havent seroconverted yet what really bothers me is after i returned home from my exposure i had sex with my fiance then she started breaking out in hive like rashes for about 4 weeks just like mines they mysteriously went away can i be one of those late seroconverters? i am 25 generally healthy a little over weight pack a day smoker for the last 12 years weekend heavy drinker do you guys think i should get tested at 6 months?anyone everyone your feedback is priceless please help im stressed confused and scared

Offline lostone08

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:36 pm »
not only that my symptoms came on 3 weeks after my exposure i got really sick sore thorat sore muscles fatigue loss of appetitie sweaty palms and everything it lasted about a month and went away

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 06:23:12 am »
lost,

As you've been told, symptoms are meaningless when it comes to diagnosing hiv infection. ONLY the test can reveal your hiv status and you have tested conclusively hiv negative. You do not need further testing.

Go see your doctor about your physical concerns - whatever is causing them is not hiv. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture. You do not have hiv.

If you're read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

You do not have hiv. It's time you moved on with your life. There's nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lostone08

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 09:04:44 am »
thanks again ann!!!! it just still bothers me everyday can i get a few more opinions on my situation please?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 09:26:07 am »
In my opinion everything Ann has told you is correct.

It is my personal experience that when an AM Moderator gives you a warning, you should take it very seriously indeed.

MtD

Offline lostone08

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 05:59:00 am »
thankyou very much i just had another dumb question please be patient with me because i am new to this subject and just looking for answers so can i now say i am 100 percent conclusive after my 15 week negative? and does anyone know of any case where a person tested negative at 15 weeks then positive after is there any documented case?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:48 am »
Lost,

We've told you repeatedly that you are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.