POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22247
  • Latest: d18p
Stats
  • Total Posts: 621106
  • Total Topics: 46783
  • Online Today: 211
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduction and disclosure  (Read 1670 times)

Offline thandi

Introduction and disclosure
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:05:25 AM »
Hi everyone

Just to introduce myself properly as I already posted in positive women, I am Tandy from South Africa, I knew about my status in July 2006. It has not been easy but I think I am getting there though I still have my HIV days if you know what I mean. I've never been sick from this disease. I am on meds (truvada and stocrin I think its also called sustiva) been lucky have no side effects at all. Go to the gym two to three times a week when I feel like it and I am in good shape. This site has been a blessing to me to keep me going when I am down and its such a pleasure to read your posts guys. The only problem that I am still struggling with is disclosure. I had to let go some good guys who wanted a relationship cause I cant get myself into disclosing my status. You know, even though millions are infected in our country there is still a lot of ignorance and stigma surrounding this disease.

Anything else you want to know I am here.

Online Jeff G

• Global Moderator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Introduction and disclosure
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
 Hi Tandy ... Welcome to the forum. Disclosing is something we have all have had to deal with.
 I know first hand the fear and anxiety that happens when you have to disclose to someone.
 After 25 years of dealing with HIV I sometimes get the butterfly's in my stomach when the
 subject has to be discussed with some one new. The first people I disclosed to were my other
 Doctors and heath care workers , it may sound funny but disclosing in this kind of safe environment
 helped me to work out and find the words to tell others that I wanted to know my status.

Unfortunately ignorance and stigma prevail everywhere. I cant tell you Ive never had a bad a
 bad experience disclosing . HIV is now a part of my life that Ive come to accept . I only
 want to to surround myself with people that can except me as I am...good luck .Jeff

Offline keyite

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
Welcome Tandy. I agree that disclosing is one of the hardest things about being positive. Even amongst gay men, who are so significantly affected by HIV, there is still a breathtaking degree of ignorance. Having said that, sometimes people can surprise you in a very good way. Not sure it ever gets easier but, like Jeff says, you hopefully find strategies to disclose that feel right for you and when occasionally you do get a bad reaction you come to see it more as their problem than yours. Easier said than done, I know..

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Diagnosed + 1989
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
Thandi, again, welcome.  Look forward to hearing more from you here, as well as with us in the women's forum. :)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline wetsand

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »
Hi Tandy,

I am farely new to this forum myself but have found it very helpful to speak in an open and stigma free environment.  And some of the folks here, longtime Aids warriors) are so knowledgable, and we can all benefit from their experiences.  Disclosure is tough for me too.  I feel at ease with my medicos, cause they don't seem to judge.  I've told no one else but the two former lovers I may have put at risk.  and one of them, my ex, outed me to our grown daughter, something neither of us was ready for.  She didn't know her mother (tested negative twice) and I were occasionally sexual.  Nondisclosure is a lonely path that I have chosen for now.  I don't even consider dating because it will lead to a moment I don't want to face.  But coming here helps a lot. Welcome!  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »
Hi Thandi.

Welcome!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
Hi Thandi, and welcome aboard!

I look forward to hearing more from you soon.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »
Hi Thandi

I'm glad you started your own thread..now we won't lose you.. ;)

I can't really add much to what the others have said except to say welcome again and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »
Welcome Tandy,

Living with HIV/AIDS since 1994 and having a background in the media, I have disclosed in all the newspapers in order to get articles printed (it worked for a few years).  More recently, I had a disclosure issue because I met someone in San Francisco who I really liked and beat the "disclosure topic into the dirt" here.  I would have never guessed a 47 year old man from San Francisco would take such information so poorly.  If I had to do it all over again, I probably would disclose on the first date knowing there may not be another "first date" for another 8 years.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline thandi

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your kind words of advice, I think I will eventually get there in terms of disclosure I am not going to put pressure on myself right now it will happen when the right time comes.

Take care everyone.

Tandy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Diagnosed + 1989
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
Tandy, don't fret over disclosing. First you have to accept having HIV yourself before worrying about whether other people will or not.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
Welcome to the forums!!Its a good thing you are comfortable with your condition.  Disclosure is sometimes a bit tricky, stick to your insticts. Evaluate the reasons why a person should know your status first.  If its just for a short term benefit there is no need as long as you play safe.  Take your time you will get confidence to let it out when the time and the right person to disclose to  comes.
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline lynee

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Hie Thandi

You will find someone do not worry about it,am from Zim and its really difficulty but I believe there is a reason for everything in life.

Offline AlanBama

• 'class' of '87
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Hello Tandy,

I'm glad that you found us!   We're happy to have you join our forums.   I look forward to hearing more from you and more about you, and your life.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline wishful

• I am pretty content nowadays..Life is gud..
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Tandy, don't fret over disclosing. First you have to accept having HIV yourself before worrying about whether other people will or not.

Ditto and welcome to the forums...i myself just disclosed to my bf in Jan after being with him for about 6 months..We are still together and veddy much in love....He is negative...
Live life to the fullest...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.