POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643022
  • Total Topics: 48925
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 135
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Florida residents with ADAP/Medicaid/Ryan White please read  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
Florida residents with ADAP/Medicaid/Ryan White please read
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »
My name is Joe Killfoile and I live in Ft. Lauderda and have been receiving either ADAP or Ryan White assistance for the past seven years.  Over the last three years I have noticed a distinct trend in how the State of Florida administers ADAP and Ryan White eligibility rules and procedures.  Every year there are changes in eligibility that must be communicated from the State to the local level and this is hardly happening in Broward County, where I live.

For the past three years, the eligibility requirements have demanded ever increasing amounts of paperwork, often generated by following a state-supplied eligibility documentation list, but the list is never complete.  It is not unusual for me to get the current year list, gather all the required documentation, go and wait for at least two hours, only to be told that I did not have a document that they needed, THAT THEY DID NOT PUT ON THE LIST.  Worse is that even if you can get the document quickly, you must still wait for whatever period to see someone to get your eligibility processed.

For the past three years, it has taken me an average of 6.5 hours, each year, to file for eligibility and this morning I went down for my third attempt at registering, only to find the department closed for the day, with no posted notice.  I am over this crap and I plan to do something about it and there is where I need the help of those in Florida who receive ADAP/Medicaid/Ryan White funds.  I plan to take this issue to the capital and there is strength in numbers.

My reason for disgust at the Florida system is that I moved here from Michigan and their program was actually designed to serve (rather than penalize) their patients, as you only sent one set of forms to the capital each year and the state then contracted with all the major drug chains and you just ordered your drugs locally, with each pharmacy then billing the state.  In Florida, we have to go through the Broward County Health Department which is so overburdened with rules and regulations that it is a wonder that anyone gets served.

I am doing this to wake up the politicans in our capital, who are oblivious to the misery that they cause untold thousands of Floridians.

So my request is simple.  I would like to hear about any problems with eligibility or obtaining services in Florida and especially from anyone who receives benefits under more than one program.  All I ask is that you give me a first name, first letter of your sir name and the county in which you receive benefits.  I have no intention of divulging this information to anyone, but I would like to know how prevalent this problem is in other parts of the state.  If I reference any of you, it would be by FIRST NAME ONLY and only by county.

Even easier is if you want to post your experiences in this thread, I will copy the thread into Word, remove all last name initials and then print the entire thread to offer as reference as I talk with officials at various levels of government.

I would like to think that the problems I experience locally are not indicative of the entire state, but something tells me otherwise.  If they can treat our local HIV population this way, especially given the sheer numbers in our county, I shudder to think what they might be doing in other counties.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:38:09 AM by killfoile »

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Re: Florida residents with ADAP/Medicaid/Ryan White please read
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »

So my request is simple.  I would like to hear about any problems with eligibility or obtaining services in Florida and especially from anyone who receives benefits under more than one program. 
Even easier is if you want to post your experiences in this thread, I will copy the thread into Word, remove all last name initials and then print the entire thread to offer as reference as I talk with officials at various levels of government.

I would like to think that the problems I experience locally are not indicative of the entire state, but something tells me otherwise.  If they can treat our local HIV population this way, especially given the sheer numbers in our county, I shudder to think what they might be doing in other counties.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting this Joe:

A couple of weeks ago a woman from Punta Gorda area,( in these forums) was inquiring about health care/ other needs for a friend, that was in the hospital.

I had given her, some numbers to call, I had also asked her to respond, after trying those numbers, to see how much help, and information she had recieved. I don't believe there had been a response. I will have to check. I also wanted to see what kind of  quality-care/support was being offered to her friend.

As far as Ryan white and ADAP, I am still not utilizing any of these programs yet , but once again thanks for posting this. It is something we all need to be concerned about . I will be watching this thread, and will contribute to it, when I can.

I think on my next visit to my doctor, I will bring up some of these issues with him,( in one of our conversations) see what info he or his patients may be willing to give as far as Pinellas County goes.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »
Joe ,

Just wanted to add. I have often noticed in my doctors office,surveys at various times,Asking those utilizing services to give comments or suggestions, or problems they are having. with those services.This is done anonomously, but I wonder if I could talk with him, and possible get some of these responses.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline coltsteele

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:03:33 PM »
Is Broward House any help or is it part of the problem?

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »
The issues that I mention are caused by poor communication between Tallahassee (who sets the rules) and the counties who generally administer them.  I have watched hundreds of times as clients are turned away because they either cannot provide a majority of the documents on the list, or they just do not understand what is going on.  Unfortunately, most of them are made to feel small or stupid as if they should be able to determine what the state wants, when those requirements change each year.

Broward House would not be part of the problem, rather a victim as well, because they have to advocate for their clients to access the services that are paid for with our tax money.  This is not an issue about revenge, rather it is my attempt to help make a poor system more tolerable.  I am fortunate in that I have a car, which is a necessity in this city, but most clients do not.  We have pitiful mass transit and I can only imagine the wasted hours that so many of them spend just going back and forth to ENROLL IN A PROGRAM THAT WILL HELP TO EXTEND AND/OR SAVE THEIR LIFE.

I also plan to illustrate some of the staff issues that I have with Broward County, mainly their dehumanizing of  the clients, but that is the topic of another post. 

Thanks for all the input.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »
Broward House is slow in processing claims to pay for prescription co-pays.  I go through them for my co-pays, and am now faced with having to pay out of pocket co-pays that are three or four payments behind just so I can continue to get my medications.

Joe, since my husband passed away, I haven't had to deal with the County health department, thankfully.  But when he was here, it didn't matter how sick he was, he STILL had to be dragged to the health department QUARTERLY (how did you do yours annually??) for his elegibility, and sit for hours until they served him.  And yes, that's a lot of paperwork they require.  What irks me, is the fact that for each time you renew your elegibility, you have to have a copy of your diagnosis.... Why don't they keep that??? Isn't that a waste of paper? Or are they just too lazy to review your file?

(And wow, I didn't realize so many here from FTL... Plantation myself.)
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »
I recently had to utilize the services in the later part of last year in Fort Lauderdale.  I can't say that I encountered any major inconveniences.  In fact, they were most helpful. 

When I had resigned from my employer last August, I lost my health/prescription benefits 2 days later and it was time for me to refill my prescriptions.  I don't have a case manager as I've found the few that I've had many years ago to be incompetent and overburdened. 

Anyways, I did call Broward House and spoke to a case manager who was kind enough to put me in contact with a woman who supervises this particular department at the Broward County Health Dept.   I gave her a call and went down to see her that same day.  She gave me a 30 complimentary supply of meds, no questions asked.  I did have to be formerly qualified before I received my refills though.   

Even then I didn't seem to have a problem.  I went back with bank statements, Cobra letter, proof that I filed for unemployment, tax returns, a few of my last paycheck stubs, and a copy of my diagnosis and breezed right through the process.  I believe the entire process that day took about an hour and a half, including wait time. 

I did speak to some people while waiting and they advised this was their second trip back because they didn't have the required paperwork.  If I remember correctly, their information line states exactly what paperwork is required. 

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:00:08 PM »
Dear Joe and our other Florida residents...So sorry to hear about the problems and issues you folks face there...One would think (hope) that services for the sick, disabled and elderly would be of a much higher priority in a state that has so many residents who are in those groups.

One thing Joe about giving your first name or remaining anonymous when dealing with your political representatives...It is understandable that some folks would see the need to do so as having others know their business could mean losing jobs, etc...But it is better if possible to sign ones name to any correspondence with elected officials and those in high places in agencies...When you mention that not only are you a taxpayer, but a voter as well, and perhaps a person who is influential in their neighborhood or community that would certainly stand out with people who count votes, especially in a state with so many close elections...Being a political donor, difficult as that is for many, is all the more the better.

What is really frustrating for Joe is going to the office and finding it closed without notice or apparent explanation on a day that is not a holiday...People take time off from other responsibilities to go there and they are closed !!!  That would really piss me off, never mind the huge waiting time when they are there or the dehumanizing manner in which you are dealt with such as going with all your papers and being told you need something else, that is such a delaying tactic, a racket if you will ..Hope this all works out for our friends in the Sunshine state !!!

Jody  ???
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »
be happy there is no waiting list like South Carolina....
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline gregftl

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »
i actually live in ft lauderdale also. yes, it is quite the jumping through hoops routine to get live saving care in this county.

i moved here from chicago back in sept 2001. geez it was so easy in chicago to get adap/ryan white assistance........i would have stayed there just for that reason if i knew the b/s u have to go thru in this backwards county.

i am self employed so this has cause me great hassle with the eligibility workers. when i first moved here they wouldnt accept my income taxes as proof of income......this being the only proof of income besides my social security statement which they also didnt trust. then on top of that out of the blue they got this idea that i had won the state of illinois lottery so they denied me adap. when i handed them my illinois state income tax form along with my federal income tax form she thoroughly went thru it. well, since i am self employed the only line on the state form is called OTHER INCOME. next to the other income statement it states "ALSO include any lottery winnings." so from this she gathered i won the lottery!!!so they denied me my life. well, i got an advocate that worked for the broward county aids office and she helped me get enrolled in ryan white for both my meds and my medical. she even got a letter for me from the state of illinois stating i did not win the lottery, yet the people in adap still did not believe me.

i was told by my advocate.....never to panic.....because no matter how much u make (within reason i suppose) u CANNOT be denied your meds or medical. for some reason the still enroll me in ryan white for my meds too....which is stupid b/c i never won a freaking lottery.  but hey it is my gain b/c you only have to renew ryan white once a year here instead of having to renew adap every 6 months and going thru that hell.  yet, everytime i go in to renew i have to go thru the long explanation of that i am self employed, what happened with the stupid worker that somehow got in her head that i won the illinois lottery and then have to whip out like a million different pieces of paper to prove who i am and how much i make.

yet the illegals can go in....without even a driver's license and literally have medical thrown into their laps. as a taxpaying citizen who has a right to these services that makes me sick. i feel like a performing circus bear when i have to go in and ask for care that is saving my life!!

Offline gregftl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »
I was given a link to a post you made last year regarind the Ryan White/Adap issues here in Broward County. My name is Greg H. I currently have a thread going in the living with hiv thread on aidsmeds.com about my situation. Well....for the past 4-5 yrs I have been getting my HIV meds thru Ryan White instead of thru ADAP b/c of a stupid error an eligibility worker made on my income taxes. I had just move here from Chicago and when I went in to apply for ADAP I took in my federal taxes and my state of Illinois taxes. I am self-employed by the way which makes this process so much tougher. On my state income taxes there is only one place where self employed people can put their income. It's a line titled "other income". This line also has below it "also include any lottery winnings". Keyword also. Well the worker took that as I had won the Illinois State lottery blew the whole thing out of proportion and took it to her supervisor then they informed the state. The idiotic part of this was I also had a 1099 with me that had the same amount on it. You dont get 1099's for lottery winnings i'm assuming. They just couldnt comprehend it. I was blocked for 20yrs  b/c the idiots thought I had actually won it and was being paid out for 20yrs! I got an advocate that worked for the county (named Marcel Martin she no longer works there)  to help me she contacted the Illinois state lottery even got a letter from them saying I had no lottery winnings and she submitted it to the eligibility workers. That was in 2003. Yet they continued  to put me in Ryan White b/c they kept telling me the state wouldnt unblock me. I contacted Tallahassee both in 2006 and last august and they told me the block was removed. The person at the local office last wednesday told me that it wasnt ....and of course my letter from the lottery people was no longer in my file. The eligibility workers just didnt want to deal with is and said "oh honey it's just easier to get into Ryan White that way u only have to do it once a year instead of every 6months with ADAP". Well....I kept telling them we better get this resolved or I felt this was gonna come back to bite me in the ass one of these days. That day has come. Because I was told last Wed Ryan White will no longer dispense meds to people over 350percent poverty level.  I got another letter from the Illinois lottery saying I never won the lottery and have to take it in AGAIN when I apply for Adap on March 17th. I already gave the office a copy of it and asked them to resolve it before i go in do ADAP but I doubt that will happen.  I'd laugh at this situation b/c it is so stupid but this is my life here we are dealing with. Another issue is now they are requiring only income taxes as proof of income instead of those self employment tracking sheets. Well since I work for myself what I make isnt actually what I make. I have business deductions. Well I am supposed to go in March 17th to try and get back into ADAP but I am very scared. Because my sales are way above the cut off ....however my adjusted gross income after deductions is way below. One person says they are supposed to take gross adjusted but then all the eligibility workers all have a different take on it. I contacted Lisa Agate the head of the Broward Aids Organization and she had this nice lady named Marlenda call me and she also told me that it was by adjusted gross income. Then she referred me to a lady named Nicola Laminoius (not sure of the spelling) who also said adjusted gross was what they use. But as u know it's never what people say it's gonna be and the rules change constantly. For my medical part I go up to the Pompano Clinic and the eligibility gay male told me that even though I get my meds downtown he could do my eligibility. I've asked him in the past. He told me he would just fax my info downtown. He is a very nice guy and doesnt scrutinize everything u bring in. So I'm thinking of trying with him instead of being put under a microscope downtown. But I'm not sure what to do this is very distressing. To be cutoff so quick! And they kept telling me every year getting into Ryan White "Oh you can never be denieds your meds no matter how much you make". People at the county level also told me that. But I suppose things have changed. I've also been told these recent changes have only taken place in 4 florida counties...one being Broward. I really dont think that is fair considering the high population of HIV here. I mean I make anywhere from 45000 to 60000 a year but having to buy 24000 bucks worth of meds a year just isnt do-able. Plus I completely support my partner of 11yrs b/c he is unable to work due to severe depression and ADD. He tried to get disability but of course was denied. So there is my story ....I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you could give me.

Greg H

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
Too bad my horror stories about Alabama Ryan White/ADAP won't help you.

Good luck, friend.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
I am thinking of moving from the Northeast to south Florida in the next few months.  I love the Fort Lauderdale area but am thinking that it may be better to go to the Miami area since that is a  different county.  Does anyone know if that would be better?  I am on Medicaid and SSD.  All my meds are covered with no co-pays.  I think I am in ACAP.  I have a case worker from Visiting Nurse Services visit me once a month.  The program is supposed to be for people with AIDS that are housebound, but the VN's have all been very cool about me staying in the program.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:31:32 PM by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.