Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Buffalo Hump

(1/2) > >>

bcross06:
I've been positive for 18 years now and have developed a buffalo hump.  I would like to have it removed, but am wondering if anyone out there has had one removed successfully.

Thanks.

hartiepie:
I have had it done, though it may come back (mine has after 7 years). Check out the Lipodystrophy thread http://forums.poz.com/index.php?board=21.0

AlanBama:
Hi Bcross

I hope you are able to get it removed, if it's bothering you.   That is one HIV-related thing that has never happened to me (knock on wood).   My issues are more lipoatrophy (wasting) rather than redistribution.

hugs,

Alan

aztecan:
Hey Bcross,

I'm right there with you. Mine showed up about a year ago.

How bad is yours? Mine isn't huge, yet, but it is bothersome. It is most noticeable when I am shirtless, or wearing T-shirts.

It also is a pain when you are trying to recline or lay down without a pillow. I am having to replace all of my shirts and I can't wear a tie.

I've not had it removed. I don't have that kind of cash, I'm afraid. I had two docs tell me it would most likely come back even if it was removed. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

Does yours hurt if you rub it too roughly? Mine seems just generally tender most of the time.

Let me know what you find out about the hump. Maybe surgery would be worth it.

HUGS,

Mark

allanq:
bcross06,

What drugs are you taking? Some combinations are associated with lipodystrophy. Use the "Drugs" link on this website to find out if any of the drugs you're on may be making the problem worse. Talk to your doctor about it, too.

A friend of mine had a very large hump removed three years ago. So far, it has not returned. The removal of the hump was covered by his insurance (Kaiser in the Bay Area). If the hump is interfering with your daily activities or if it's causing you psychological distress, it may be possible to get your insurance to pay for its removal.

Allan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version