POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 08:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631498
  • Total Topics: 47803
  • Online Today: 279
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduction and a few questions  (Read 2556 times)

Offline deniur efil

Introduction and a few questions
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Hi, I have just gone through the most unexpected few days of my life where after a routine health screen which I allowed them to do an HIV test - it has come back positive, I am waiting now for the confirmation test results, I'm sure as most of you will realise I am absolutly devastated, I am  hetrosexual male in my late 40's and have spent the better part of 4 years living in Thailand originally from the UK, all my friends are there and I was intending to return but that now seems impossible when I consider the testing and contant monitoring that is required not to mention the medication costs, I get free treatment in the UK but cannot see how I can spend time in Thailand with this condition, this makes me very sad indeed - very

It would be grate if someone here could offer me some advice on the above

I always practised safe sex while in Thailand and for the life of me don't understand how this could have happened

I have browsed through this forum and I'm sure the information is here but hopefully someone can asswer a few questions for me, I have to see a consultant soon and I want to know as much as possible before  hand.

1. I read a post by someone being treated in the UK that they had to take 13 tablets every day, is this true or has the medication been greatly improved, if so what is the average person taking now.

2. What is the most popular effective safe medication people are taking right now

3. If paying for it how much would it cost

4. In the UK will they give me a long period supply

5. What is the duration between each blood test to monitor how you are doing CP4  and VL, i noticed some people here seem to be doing this on a monthly basis, is a 3 or 6 month cycle sufficient

6. If I don't see any doctors take any meds - do nothing as though I hadn't found out, what will happen to me

what is the long term life expectancy and expected quality of life ?

I know questions questions, I can hardly type this my hands are shaking so much

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to reply

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
Re: Introduction and a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
Deniur, I'm sorry you're in such a bad place.  Please don't hang in the doom-and-gloom too long.  It's just not a good thing.  Wait for the back-up test results.  I can't answer your question about going back to Thailand, or anything about meds cost-wise in the UK.

Starting meds is a choice between patient-doctor.  If your confirmation test is positive, just expect a complete blood panel to see where your CD4s are and VL.  Before starting meds, a doctor usually looks for a trend in numbers (declining CD4s, rising VL), usually over a 3-test period. 

As far as how often the lab tests are, for me it's every 3 months.  But some people do it every 6 months.  Again, this will be up to the doctor who treats the patient. 

Sorry I can't give you more specific answers, but we try not to give absolutes here.  Take a deep breath.  Everything will be alright, trust me.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »
1.  greatly improved.  average now is anywhere from once to twice daily dosing. lots of people take a one a day pill.  myself, i take technically 8 (4 pills 2x a day).  It's really no big deal in terms of the difference between the "number of pills".  the number of dosing times matters more.

2.  it varies depending on what type of dosing regimen might work best for you and things like resistance tests to see which pills might or might not work for you.

3.  depends on your income and where you live

4.  dunno

5.  typically, every other month (at least for the first while to assess how the meds are working).  tends to stretch to 3 and 4 month cycles after that.  i guess some might do a 6 month blood draw, but that is pretty rare and probably a little longer than i would care to go (and i don't like needles) without checking.

6.  you will very likely die.  and it won't be a very pretty exit, either.  not to be a fear peddler, but i'm not going to coddle you about it either.

All said:  HOLD UP & BREATHE.  Wait on your confirmation test.  This may not be a reality for you, and you might be able to blow this popcicle stand with a negative confirmation test.

Chill.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:44:45 PM by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
If you are hetero and always played safe, I don't think you will be poz so nothing to worry until it's confirmed by western blot.  unless there is something you didn't tell us.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »
Hi and Welcome to the forums.

I live in the States so i don't know anything about the U.K.

My hubby is HIV+ and he takes Atripla once a day. He has been one of the lucky ones and has no ill side effects from the meds. He goes every 3-4 months for his labs. He started meds as soon as we found out because of his low CD4 and high VL.

Hubby is in his mid 40s and with the meds today I fully expect us to grow old together.

If you haven't done so i urge you to read the lessons here. They really helped us.
Take deep breaths, and if your Western Blot comes back positive, we are all here for you. Its been almost 2 years since we found out about hubby and he is doing great! Hang in there!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Den, first things first. Welcome.

Secondly, let's wait and see what result you get from the western blot.

IF you get a confirmatory positive result there will be time enough to sort what comes next. There is a lot of knowledge and support for you here. You won't have to figure things out alone and you also don't have to come up with all encompassing answers in a hurry.

I'm glad you have found your way to our site.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.