POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640777
  • Total Topics: 48673
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 171
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Confused???  (Read 3707 times)

Offline tandee

Confused???
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
I don't want to sound repetitive...I have read the Lessons section on this website and I have also read other topics under "Am I Infected?", but I tested at week 18 post exposure with Home Access and at weeks 25, 29 and 30 with Ora Quick (finger prick) at my local health department all results from the 4 tests were negative.  I spoke with my doctor this past week about my testing and my concern for HIV and she told me that to be 100% sure of my negative status that I would need to retest at 9 months.  I am a healthy 26 year old as far as I know, should I retest at 9 months or should these negative results be conclusive? 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Confused???
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
You are negative and do not need any further testing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:29:19 PM »
I haven't a clue as to where your doctor pulled that 9 months figure out for testing.

The CDC is quite conservative about this issue and has for quite a while recommended three months as a reliable point for getting a conclusive answer. You've tested negative at well past that point so you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline tandee

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm not sure I'm responding in the correct way as this is a different topic from my post before....two weeks ago i punctured my finger with a contaminated lancet (the entire point penetrated my finger and there was bleeding) that was not properly disposed.  I know a lancet is not the same as a needle...the lancet would have been used within a 4 hour period of my accident.  Is this considered an environmental exposure or is there need for concern.  I don't want to go into panic mode and waste time and money on testing if there is no need.  Thanks. 

Also, I want to thank RapidRod and Andy for their timely response to my question posted in February.   

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:27 PM »
No risk in poking yourself with a lancet.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
Tan,

I agree with Rodney. This wasn't a risk and yes, it is considered an environmental situation. It is NOT an hiv situation. No risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tandee

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
I don't know how to start this and I know as soon as you guys read this you will probably scream OCD and all sorts of other things...but I don't know what to do.  I first became HIV OCD after the death of my first husband...I was mad at the world and made a stupid one night decision...all tests came back negative.  My troubles didn't stop there...I began thinking I had HIV every time i was accidentally cut with something that caused bleeding.  Over the past 4 years I have had some where around 40 test and have spent thousands of dollars on testing.  Last July my second husband and I decided to have a baby and I am to give birth within the next 4 weeks...I was doing great overcoming the OCD and fear (I have been to counselors, doctors and was on medication).  This past December all the fears came back when I got a strangers blood on my hand...since then I have had two other fears one due to being stuck with a paper clip and one just yesterday when I used a toothpick that had been in my desk drawer for over a week.  I know you all deal with stupid questions all the time and I even used to read a lot of the topics and think what are these people thinking...why can't they just get over it.  I have became one of those people.  I keep having fears that I am going to become infected (even though I do not put myself in any risky situation at all) and that I will infect my baby.  I know I am probably completely out of line by posting this here...but I honestly have no one to talk to about this and I am so embarrassed by this problem.   

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
Seek professional help. You are beyond the scope of help any online service can provide.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
Nothing you are reporting in anyway suggests that you have a for real HIV issue.

As for your fears and doubts, as Rod has suggested, see a counselor or other professional. We can't help you with that in this setting. All we can say is there is no basis in HIV science for your concerns.
Andy Velez

Offline tandee

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
Thanks guys....the sad thing is I have spoken with counselors and was even on medication for a while.  I guess the worse disease some of us will ever have is the battle with mind.  Thanks again for you response. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
Don't give up on getting professional help with your unwarranted fears. Life is too short to be spent in worrying unnecessarily.

We can't address that appropriately in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline tandee

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I've visited this post...I have been doing really well with my OCD and seeing a therapist.  Yesterday I had a set back.  I went to a makeup counter and took my 2 year old with me.  I tried two different types of foundation one powder and the other liquid.  The lady behind the counter gave me a sponge with liquid makeup first and I applied that....then she handed me a compact and told me to use that product on my other cheek.  After I applied the liquid foundation I placed the sponge on the counter, so when I picked up the powder foundation I saw a sponge lying on the counter and assumed it was a new sponge...it wasn't.  My 2 year old had picked up my original sponge and I picked up a sponge that had been used by a previous customer....the lady behind the counter apologized for leaving the used sponge on the counter, but by this time I was in melt down mode.  I've been doing so well and thought I could possibly have all this fear behind me.  My questions are:  1.  Does an incident such as this fall into the casual contact or environmental exposure category?  2.  Should I be concerned....i suffer with acne and my face was broken out yesterday as usual? 

I'm sorry to post again, but you guys really do help calm my nerves....I wish I could give each one of you a hug. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Keep working on your OCD.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
Tandee,

In adults, hiv is transmitted by:

Unprotected anal intercourse.

Unprotected vaginal intercourse.

Sharing drug injecting equipment - ie hollow bore needles, not lancets,

And that's it.

If hiv were as easily transmitted as you imagine, practically everyone in the world would be hiv positive by now. They're not.

Rather than chasing a virus you have not been at risk for, I suggest you seek out a therapist for your OCD problems. We cannot help you with that here.

You will not be permitted to continue posting about your latest no risk situation. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

It doesn't matter that you took out a subscription.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tandee

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »
Ann,

I don't think I've been posting excessively....each question I've asked has been due to a different situation.  My last post (before the one yesterday was back in 2011).  If you read my last post it was about using a cosmetic sponge that had definitely been used by someone else (the woman behind the makeup counter told me this and she apologized to me.)  I understand the basics of HIV transmission but due to my acne breakout I didn't truly know if there had been blood or any other body fluid on the sponge if this would be cause for concern.  I have also been seeing a therapist since 2011 as also stated in my previous post.  I'm sorry you took this offensive....I've read the welcome post several times...but I don't think casual contact and environmental exposure is as well explained as intercourse, etc.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

I understand the basics of HIV transmission

No, you don't. Not even close. Otherwise you wouldn't have to ask about cosmetic sponges.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. For this reason, you would never in a million years become infected with hiv through using a cosmetic sponge someone else had used.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tandee

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
By basics I meant...intercourse and sharing needles for drug use.  I know there is a lot of misinformation online and even by doctors...that's why so many people including me post on this website.  I appreciate you responding.  I've only known 1 person with HIV (my uncle) and he committed suicide when I was in high school.  My mama put such a fear of HIV in me - she didn't even want me using the bathroom behind him.  Then when I became older and had my first unprotected intercourse things kind of fell apart in my mind and I've been struggling ever since.  I truly am sorry for any inconvenience I've caused.  Thank you again.     

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.