Main Forums > Living With HIV

Has hiv been isolated or not?

(1/2) > >>

sweetasmeli:
I asked this in another thread but feel my question may have got lost amongst that thread's topic and also thought the question warranted its own thread.

Simple laymans responses please if poss. I get very easily blinded by science and have an automatic 'off' button in my wee brain if things get too technical...! ???

Melia

RobT:
All-
Has it. I, like Melia, get 'lost' in all the technical jargon. Pls laymen's terms.

RobT

9/27/2005-1st test results
Viral Load >1,000,000
CD4 204
CD4%age 18
CD4/CD8 ratio .23
11/24/2005- Sustiva/Truvada
04/18/2006
Viral Load 140
CD4 402
CD4%age .21
CD4/CD8 ratio .39

06/27/2006
Viral Load 42
CD4 409
CD4%age .21
Next appt.-07/11/2006 (lab)
Next appt.-08/01/2006 (results/Hep A/B vaccination)

jkinatl2:
Short answer - Yes, HIv has been isolated.

A popular denialist myth is that HIV has not, which might have been true, in 1982.

Some of the most scrutiny ever paid to published papers by the scientific community descended on Gallo when he published his papers in the early eighties, discussing the isolation of HIV.

Some early resources:

Popovic M, Sarngadharan MG, Read E, et al. Detection, isolation, and continuous production of cytopathic retroviruses (HTLV-III) from patients with AIDS and pre-AIDS. Science. 1984; 224(4648): 497-500.

Gallo RC, Salahuddin SZ, Popovic M, et al. Frequent detection and isolation of cytopathic retroviruses (HTLV-III) from patients with AIDS and at risk for AIDS. Science. 1984; 224(4648): 500-503.

Schüpbach J, Popovic M, Gilden RV, et al. Serological analysis of a subgroup of human T-lymphotropic retroviruses (HTLV-III) associated with AIDS. Science. 1984; 224(4648): 503-505.

Sarngadharan MG, Popovic M, Bruch L, et al. Antibodies reactive with human T-lymphotropic retroviruses (HTLV-III) in the serum of patients with AIDS. Science. 1984; 224(4648): 506-508.

sweetasmeli:
Jonathan (Hi :) by the way, hope ur ok!)
I was very tempted to head for the hills just at the sight of the resource titles...but I didnt! Am googling that list of papers as I type...
Quickie: Did hiv used to be known as HTLV-III?
Do you do alot of reading at http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov by any chance?

Melia :)

jkinatl2:
HTLV-III is an outdated reference to HIV-1 -

In the early years of the AIDS pandemic, different scientists discovered viruses that were associated with the syndrome and gave them different names:

HTLV-III (Human T-Lymphotropic Virus Type III) LAV (Lymphadenopathy Associated Virus) ARV (AIDS Associated Retrovirus)

When it was discovered that these were all the same virus, rather than having multiple names for the same virus, these names were discontinued, and the name was changed to HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus).

I like pubmedcentral a lot! I'm also fond off aegis, though not fond of their slow-loading Java home page.

Sadly, I don't have the means to subscribe to the journals when they are freshest, and since I don't go into town much anymore (and am no longer a student) I don't use the University's library anymore. So all my information tends to be about a year old, outside the abstracts and stuff. The notable exceptions are the occasional tidbits I get from Tim and Ann, and some other HIV researchers I encounter online. I'm a stickler for the whole first-tiered peer reviewed publication thing, so much of the mainstream HIv related stuff I take with a serious grain of salt.

I am doing well, thanks Melia :) Been a little under the weather this week, pulled a muscle in my back and stuff. But taking care of the new ferret, and still feeding Benjamin by hand until he recovers from his loss. Life is good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version