Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2016, 07:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Members: 29657
  • Latest: Anu001
  • Total Posts: 704378
  • Total Topics: 56062
  • Online Today: 326
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 200
Total: 205


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Day in the Life...  (Read 3061 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pozguy75

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,239
    • POZitively Speaking
A Day in the Life...
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
You know it's funny how we justify what we do and how we live. A question that I often get is, "so, what is your life like with HIV?"

I thought I would post my answer on my blog in A Day in the Life.

I hope to hear back, and know what your answer would be!
Dx 2005

Offline BT65

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10,763
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
Jeromy, I'm glad you are so actively involved with the ASO there.   My day is much different than yours.

I've been on disability since '94, when the wasting syndrome almost got me.  I take pills for the HIV, neuropathy, depression, broken and wasting away bones, etc., and I take them 4 x a day.  I also have to inject Insulin, but that really doesn't bother me.  I try to budget my money effectively, though the food banks save me every month.  We have no 'speaker's bureau' at my ASO.  There is a support group, but it's on a night when I'm in school.  These boards are my source of support for HIV and other issues.  I don't know any other positive women in my town, as they all live in fear.  I was very good friends with one years ago, who has since passed on.  I deal with incompetent government agencies a lot (welfare etc.).   I have permanent body changes that no gym would fix, trust me. 

I think my saving grace is that I am in school.  I won't ever be able to work full-time, but hopefully I'll be able to do something when I graduate with the degree.  I think it's good that you are able to do what you do.  Cherish it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info http://www.aidsmap.com/Condoms/page/1044833/
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. http://www.poz.com/factsheets/fs_2014_09_prep.pdf


Offline water duck

  • Member
  • Posts: 404
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to share

AND certainly for POZitively Speaking


Offline Queen Tokelove

  • Member
  • Posts: 6,033
  • Smokey the Smurf
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Nice blog, Jeromy. It's a nice routine you have going there. I can imagine you singing those show tunes..
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Iggy

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,434
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
As one mentioned in the aforementioned blob entry, I do believe it is my right to set the record straight about two points.

1.  he is not (by any stretch of the imagination) quiet in the morning

2. I am a beast when awoken

Offline fearless

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,191
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:08 AM »
What, no breakfast? naughty boy. I cannot function without a belly full of Wheetbix.

And, man, you move quickly in the morning. I get up at 6 and only manage to hop into the shower at 7 - too many ciggies and coffees  ;D. Out the door by about 7.30 but it takes me nearly 1 hour to walk to work (I just loathe public transport, especially in the morning).
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline pozguy75

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,239
    • POZitively Speaking
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »
Stevie, I grab breakie at work. We have a full cafeteria that I take advantage of at breakfast and lunch.
And Iggy is a beast awaken against his will, not pretty at all. And as for the noise, I am quiet as a church mouse when I get up.

BT, thank you for the kind words,I try to do my part!
Dx 2005

Offline Winiroo

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,082
  • Positive since 1991
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
I wake up by internal alarm at or near 7 am. Get up, pee walk to the kitchen and groggily make myself a bowl of cereal. I eat my cereal infront of the TV while watching the morning news. After I'm done eating I go fix my crazy morning hair with a hair drier.
Sneek back into my room and use a flash light to locate what I will wear that day. Sneak back out of the room and get dressed in the dining room LOL
I grab a couple of sodas and head out the door by 7:30ish to work. Its a short drive so I am there before 7:50.
I check to see if the elderly man I take care of has moved his car. I let myself into the his apartment, say hi to the dog. Look to see if he has fed the dog or used the leash to take the dog to pee. Check to see if the old guy has taken his meds properly. Taking my notes the entire time I put his dirty clothes in the hamper and set out clean ones. I set out his meds for the morning and prepare a baggie with his evening meds for the day. I check his phone to make sure he isn't calling anyone he isn't allowed to or received any calls.
<He is mentally ill and has had a problem with talking to very young prosititutes, who have taken advantage of him and abused him>
I take the dog down the three flights of stairs to pee and poop. <Most often the only time the dog gets to leave the apartment>
When I go back up I make sure Harold is awake and taking his meds and off to the dining hall to have breakfast.

I take care of any purchases needed for Harold ect. that and his doctors appointments are my only variations of my routine.

I go home and fart around with home stuff. Make dinner. Eat dinner. Take my meds. shower, go to bed and start all over. 7 days a week.

I skipped quite a bit of detail but you get the picture.


Offline next2u

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,797
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:31:05 AM »
im only admitting this because you asked.

i wake up at 5 when i go to the gym. for the past 4 months my alarm has been going off at 615am. i hit the snooze button 5 times and then get up for work. i roll out of bed, put my feet on the wooden floor, and wonder if my feet have always ached or is it the hiv? i go to the kitchen, put a cup and a half of water on the stove for my oatmeal. while the water is boiling i either make my pb&j for lunch or i assemble an outfit for work. after the instant oats have been prepared, i iron my suit for work. to do this, i put on a porno, hold down the on button on my iron (the shit wont stay on), and press away. sometimes i will have music on in the background. next i shit, shower and shave (head & face). then i eat breakfast and head out the door (usually 15 or more minutes past my scheduled departure time).

i get to work between 8 and 9. at work i am surrounded by hundreds of hot blue collar workers. this is when i smile and thank the heavens for my wonderful job. i gather info from the right people, prepare for another conference call, then its off to see my clients. my work day is between 8-9 hours long. on mon & wed, after work i head to school. im in class from 6-10 and wonder what the fuck am i doing there. some tuesdays i go to my support group but lately i have been skipping that.

the weekends fluctuate with normal stuff, socializing with friends, shopping for food, or being a complete degenerate. oh, and there is the occasional quest for ass. cheers!!!!
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860

Offline minismom

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,646
  • Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »
When Mini was small she was on some pretty crazy meds that literally controlled our lives.  The only way we could keep up was by buying those pacifiers that you could put liquid meds in.  Couple that with a chart that hung on our 'fridge, color coded stickers, and alarm watches.  Then add to the mix 2 other babies - #1 who was 3yrs and #2 who was only 8 1/2mths when Mini was born.  Sprinkle that with a hubby who worked 60hrs / week, and doctors who were 3 1/2 hours away.  That was our life.  A calm day looked something like this:

Wake up Mini in the wee hours of the morning for a bottle.  Due to one of her meds, she couldn't "eat" 2hrs before or 2hrs after taking the med.  Yeah, trying to tell your newborn she can't eat in the middle of the night anymore..it was thrilling. :-\  After she was fed, burped, and changed, she was given one of her meds.  Then, she was put back down to sleep.  Immediately, we took the sticker off of the med-pacie and put it on the chart.  The med-paci was then filled with the medicine and a new sticker put on it with the time of her next dose written in black.  Checking the chart for the dose time of her next med, the alarm watch was reset.

By then, #2 was awake.  I cut up a piece of cooled off toast that I made while feeding Mini and put it on the tray of his highchair.  While he was happily munching away, i made him Coco wheat with peanut butter.  While that was cooling, I gathered up clothes and started a load of wash.  Sometime shortly after, #1 woke up.  After taking him potty, I sat him down with a cup of Carnation Instant Breakfast.  #2 got his cocowheat and a sippy cup of formula.  After breakfast, diapers got changed, laundry was put in the dryer, and the boys were off to play.

Time to wake Mini back up for her empty belly med. and her 1st breathing treatment. The sticker is stuck on the chart, the med-paci re-filled a new sticker engraved with the next med time was put on. Check the chart, reset the alarm watch. That done, she got a bath and a change of diaper and clothes.  By this time, I got my glass of chocolate milk, banana, and fist-full of vitamins.  I played with the boys a bit, worked on Mini's therapy, and down she went for another nap.  Ok, 1st load of laundry washed and dried.  Time to fold it and put it away.  #2 is now up and ready to rock and roll.  I'm just ready for a nap.

Wow! Where has the time gone?  #2 is ready for his morning nap.  But, only a second to breathe because...BEEP BEEP BEEP.  Crap, 2hrs gone already - time for the next med. and her Bactrim and another bottle.  Poor baby is starved by now.  Acid reflux is a part of every feeding, so now we both need changed and while I'm at it, I may as well wash the sheets.  Another load goes in.  WHEW! Time for the boys to have lunch. Crap! forgot to redo the med-pacies i've used.  Ok, everyone just hold on, gotta go catch up with things.  Where was I?  Oh, yeah, lunch.  How's PB&J and apples?  GOOD!  You boys eat while sister gets another breathing treatment.  NAP TIME!!!  Everyone goes down.

Laundry into the dryer.  Check the kids one more time.  I lay on the couch and I'm almost asleep and RING..the telephone.  It's hubby checking on the kids (what about me??).  Ok, fine, kiss, kiss, yeah, me too, bye.  Sleep again and RING..the social worker.  Kids are fine, yeah come on over, what the heck..papers to sign..bye.  Sleep at last - but not for long.  #1 walks in for a cuddle.  He has been neglected, hasn't he?  Ok, come cuddle with mum for a bit.  That lasts for half a second then he wants to play.  Ok, how about playdough.  #2 is now awake and joins in the fun.  Mini soon follows.  More meds.  Refill med-paci.  Reset alarm watch.  Mini to the swing.  Boys to snack.  We'll indulge...here's some cookies and milk.  YUM!  Fold clothes, take something out for dinner.  Daddy will be home to eat with us, so no cereal tonight.

Look around and decide to vacuum and clean the bathrooms since our worker will be coming for us to sign our intent to adopt #2.  What the heck, it looks like a good time for a bath.  I drag the swing in front of the bathroom door and fill the tub for the boys.  All washed and cleaned and smelling good.  Time for Mini to eat.  This is her biggest meal, so it takes a little longer and #2 is getting restless for attention.  Ok, bottle emptied, time to start supper.  Supper is on the stove, how about we read a book.  Everyone pick one and I'll read them both.  I gather my boys and we read and read and read and BEEP BEEP.  Alarm watch.  Time for meds.  Everything is refilled and reset.  Down for her evening nap.  Dinner is ready and hubby has called.  He'll be late.  Oh, well.  Looks like it's the 3 of us again tonight.  Hands and faces washed, kitchen cleaned, hubby's plate waiting for him to come home.  Mini's awake and hungry.  Time to eat and another breathing treatment.

Hubby's home and helps get the boys to bed.  I'm worn out but try to hold up my end of the conversation.  I think I need a bath - can't really remember when I last took one. And, I think I remember being thrown up on earlier. That was today, right?  Last med before bed and topped off with a partial bottle so she'll sleep.  Daily med chart is filled so we didnt' miss a dose - good. Take down that one down, put it in our folder and put up tomorrow's. I double check that all the med-pacies are filled for tomorrow and her middle of the night dose is on the night stand.  Alarm watch and clock both set so we don't miss it.  Check the boys, check Mini, kiss hubby goodnight.  One more day down.  For now, that's enough.

"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BT65

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10,763
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Wow, mum.  You are amazing. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info http://www.aidsmap.com/Condoms/page/1044833/
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. http://www.poz.com/factsheets/fs_2014_09_prep.pdf


Offline Snowangel

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,416
Re: A Day in the Life...
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:29:04 PM »
Wow, I agree, you are good!!Not only can you do all that, you can remember it to write it down :)
I wouldn't have survived if the trip  lets hadn't stayed in the hospital for the first 6 weeks.  I Thank God for the nurses that gave them thier meds each day when I wasn't there.

Mini is truly blessed!!
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.