POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632577
  • Total Topics: 47910
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who remembers AIDSmeds when it launched almost 8 yrs. ago?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Who remembers AIDSmeds when it launched almost 8 yrs. ago?
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »
I actually saved the original HTML of our home page from 8 years ago, and took this screen shot.  Any current forums members visit the site back then?

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Who remembers AIDSmeds when it launched almost 8 yrs. ago?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
Hi Peter,

I was diagnosed on February 22, 2001 and found AIDSmeds in early March. I still have some lessons I printed off, which are dated March 9, 2001. I'm pretty sure that's the same homepage.

Do you have any screenshots of the pre-FuseTalk forums? They were a nightmare to navigate!

Thanks for the blast from the past. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »
Of course, I wasn't around back then but I thank the Goddess for this site...You've come a long way..Congrats... :-*
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Do you have any screenshots of the pre-FuseTalk forums? They were a nightmare to navigate!

Funny you should ask.  You prompted me to look back into some of my older picture folders.  I took some screen shots when I started to prepare our first brochure in September, 2001.  Here's the only one I have of the old forums.

Pretty wild, eh?  Like looking at your own baby pictures for the first time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
I wasn't around then either. I was diagnosed in 2002, and didn't have a home computor but Hubby came home every day armed with information he had printed out at work from AIDSmeds.com.

A year later I got my very own computor, the first place I visited was AM and a month later I plucked up the courage to write my first post, that was May 2003..and as they say, the rest is history.

Thank you Peter.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »

Pretty wild, eh?  Like looking at your own baby pictures for the first time.

Yep, and it really takes me back. I see the threads are from August '01 - I would have been posting by then. It took me a couple months to work up the nerve to post - and figure out how to do it in the first place. I was brand-new to computers back then! In some ways I feel like I grew up on this website. ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »
I only wish I had known about this place sooner.   These forums are such a wonderful source of support.   Thank you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »
Peter,

Didn't know Aidmeds was around back then. I Discovered the site in December of 2003.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
Where are you Jodi? Bro, I'm sure you remember the old days....

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
Hi Ann...You mention March of 2001...I got my p.c. in January 2000 and I'm not sure if it was 2000 or 2001 that I logged on the first time after seeing an ad for the website in POZ magazine.

I remember Tim Horn and Andy Velez answering almost all posts of interest back then (and still do thankfully) and it was very cozy indeed.  Ann is the first person I remember coming along as well as Ric Wilke and Jim (fiskernish) I believe.  Then in an order I can't quite remember came Joe Killfoile, Jonathan (jkinatl), Rocky (Rab), Tim (Moffie), Jan (anniebc), Alan (Alanbama) and Bailey (Dingoboi)...I'm sure I am leaving some good folks out including those who are no longer with us...The site has certainly grown a great deal so it's great it is still here for all the people who get so much out of it, including myself, having spent so much of the first decade of the 21st century here!!!

Thanks Peter...Andy...Tim...Ann...Jan...and ALL of you posters, those who do so frequently and rarely, the old timers and the fine new comers as well, for all you have given to me and others!!!

Thank you can't quite say it all.

Jody ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:46:23 PM by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline jabez

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »
I was infected back then, but I was still living in blissful ignorance of my virus.  I sure am glad you guys were hard at work on the site.  It's been a life-saver for me the past few months. 
Sept 2007 -- CD4 = 68; VL = 469,000
Started Atripla Sept 21, 2007
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
Hey Peter,

The home page does look familiar.  I don't remember AIDSmeds from the beginning but, in a small clinic where I was treated for about 3 years, our ID doc passed away.  They had difficulties finding a replacement and the 60 or so patients with HIV were seem by a Nurse, who reported to a Doctor, who signed off on our files and never actually saw an HIV patient.

I found AIDSmeds about 6 years ago when I was questioning a med change and wanted to read up on all posibilities.  Based on the information found on AIDSmeds and the lack of proper medical care, I choe not to change meds until an ID doc was practicing at that clinic.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »
I actually found this site totally by accident in Nov 2007 when I was researching neurological issues related to peds. HIV.  Mini was diagnosed in 2000.  I wish I knew about you guys back then.  But, I'm so very happy to have found you.  Unlike most, I sorta plunged in and posted in every forum.  I was desperate for some answers and I got them - along with messages from Ann and Jan telling me to keep my questions in my original thread and people could better help me :P.  Everyone was, and is, very patient with me as I navigated the site.

Thank you to everyone!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 01:15:31 AM »
I first subscribed to the AM email newsletter back in 2002. I can remember that whenever I googled "HIV/AIDS" all I seemed to get was a flood of links for AIDSmeds so it seemed easier to give in, assimilate and hand over my email addy.

Probably in 2003 I realised there was a Forum/Community type thing and blogs and whatnot but other matters occupied my time.

I finally joined the Forums in March 2005 and became one with the AIDS Borg. :)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 05:31:37 AM »
I finally joined the Forums in March 2005 and became one with the AIDS Borg. :)

MtD

Ah yes, but you didn't assimilate quietly, did you lad? ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 05:36:19 AM »
Kicking and screaming seemed to be the most appropriate way to go about things. ;D

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.