POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 11:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24078
  • Latest: Rlhayn
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647774
  • Total Topics: 49368
  • Online Today: 210
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 120
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kaisernetwork.org: Researchers Develop Technique That Prevents HIV From Reproduc  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Jwhite8040

Researchers Develop Technique That Prevents HIV From Reproducing, Philadelphia Inquirer Reports

Researchers from the biotechnology company Virxsys and the University of Pennsylvania have developed a gene therapy technique that prevents HIV from reproducing, according to a study presented Wednesday at the 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

For the study, the researchers removed CD4+ T cells from an HIV-positive person and inserted into the cells a gene that stops the virus from reproducing. The researchers then used a University of Pennsylvania patented technology to multiply the T cells one hundred-fold and put them back into the patient. The gene which the researchers inserted into the T cells prevents HIV from containing itself in a shell, making the virus unable to reproduce and form new HIV-infected cells. The study also found that HIV self-destructed when the cells were inserted back into the patient.

The study examined nine randomly chosen HIV-positive people and found that all nine had high HIV viral loads after undergoing the treatment but that most of the virus had mutated into harmless forms. A clinical trial among 54 HIV-positive people is ongoing to determine the safety of the technique, called VRX496, and the best dosages. None of the trial participants has experienced serious negative side effects, and many have suppressed HIV viral loads and increased their T cells.

The technique "raises hope" within the HIV vaccine research community that if a preventive vaccine is not developed, the technique could be used to control HIV among people already living with the virus, the Inquirer reports. Gary McGarrity, executive vice president for scientific affairs at Virxsys, said the "buzzword" in gene therapy research is "viral 'fitness'" and that VRX496 "diminishe HIV fitness up to two years after treatment."

The possibility of the technique becoming an FDA-approved treatment is several years away, but Virxsys CEO Riku Rautsola estimated the potential cost for a one-time series of infusions would be $130,000, compared with the roughly $700,000 cost for lifetime treatment with antiretroviral drugs. Rautsola said the company hopes the treatment will become a "frontline therapy," adding that it "would clearly be better in terms of quality of life" for people living with HIV/AIDS (McCullough, Philadelphia Inquirer, 2/7).

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
Very interesting treatment.  Reading though the article it mentions that many of the trial volunteers have high levels of virus in their blood but it is a harmless type.  Then it goes on to say that many of the trial participants have suppressed viral loads.  These two statements seem contradictory to me.  I'd love to see the viral load counts before/after treatment, cd4 counts before/after etc.....

I also wonder that if this treatment offers all of us a pill-free way to combat HIV, if having this "neutered" HIV in our systems will cause any side-effects itself.  We all know that HIV by itself can cause neuropathy and lipodystrophy/atrophy so I am curious as to whether or not this neutered virus is benign in those respects as well.

I guess all these questions will be answered in due time.  I just hate waiting.  Hopefully one day we can all stop taking pills and have our immune systems genetically enhanced.  Science = hope.  For me, anyway.
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/103/46/17372#F1
November 14, 2006

The PHASE II has provide a better result regarding the VL, probably due to a better dosing.

Offline Jake72

Hey folks!

This is intriguing news, indeed. Thanks for positing it. Would anyone happen to know when this Phase II trial is ending? I understand that  the results we've just seen are interim results.

If everything goes well, I'd love to see this slide right into Phase III.

Thanks!

Jake   

Offline Jacques

some updated news posted yesterday by Tim Horn:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_vrx496_gene_therapy_1667_14007.shtml

sounds very promissing

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline J220

Undetectable after two months, without meds....wow...Very promising indeed!
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.