POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 03:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635409
  • Total Topics: 48197
  • Online Today: 186
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How I became Nick  (Read 877 times)

Offline newnick61

How I became Nick
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »
In my village right down the street from the AIDS clinic is the duka that makes coffins. Sometimes when I am in there working part-time, the waiting room full of people sitting on wood benches is so quiet, so still that I can hear the tap of the coffin maker’s hammer. The waiting room is dark.  The curtains are drawn; no one must see who has the ukimwi.

The people in the clinic are waiting for their Septrin; you take it until your CD4 goes below 200. Then you need to apply for your ARV’s card or go shopping for your coffin. It’s really your choice.

Shopping for coffins in Africa is like shopping for end tables in the States. The samples are displayed in front of the duka. You can choose a colour such as royal purple or somber black or you can buy one with a shiny coat of varnish.  Most have small windows in the side or top, so you can look at the deceased. Maybe the deceased can look back at you.

In my darker moments, such as now I wonder how I got here – sitting in an East African village listening to the neighbor’s radio blare some dumbass Kiswahili song.

This is not where I want to be. This is where ukimwi put me.

About five years ago I was a happy suburbanite, going to my beige world job during the week, cutting the grass on Saturday and maybe ordering a carry out pizza while watching “The Simpsons” on Sunday night. It was a nice routine. It was comforting. Life was easy.

After I got the news – habari ukimwi  – my world changed.

The-powers-that-be hustled me into a little room with bright florescence lights where a councilor assured me that everything would be okay. I knew from the look in his eyes and the tone of his voice that he didn’t believe it. He and I both knew that I had the ukimwi. I just wanted to hide in a nice dark place - with the curtains drawn – and pretend that I didn’t have ukimwi.

I guess that the councilor felt that I didn’t take the habari ukimwi  very well. The next week the-powers-that-be sent me to a shrink, a kindly overweight middle age woman, who for several sessions a week recounted with me all the ukimwi horror stories. During one session with her, I got to recall the tales of Rock Ukimwi Hudson, Freddy Ukimwi  Mercury and Arthur Ukimwi Ashe.  The virus had usurped their identity. I swore that I would never allow the ukimwi to own me.

During my last session she gravely warned me, “You’re a suicide waiting to happen. It’s just a matter of when.”  At its conclusion she gave me her business card and told me to call her any time I needed. I left her office, went to her receptionist and cancelled all my appointments.

She had told me the end of my story. At that point, I resolved to change what happened in between that day and my self-inflicted kufa.

My old life was over. I became Nick.

Offline Lis

Re: How I became Nick
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
oh how I have missed you nickster!!!!
Im glad that you find your self where you are

much love

lisbeth   :-*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:11:38 PM by Lis »
poz 1986....

Offline Lis

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
I only can wish for more stories of your new life... I must say that the melting and warmth from Alaska and the lack of a glock does cheer a girl up!!
poz 1986....

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:14 AM »
Ah Nick. This will have to hold Matty the Damned for another 3 months. :)

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.