POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 01:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631520
  • Total Topics: 47804
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 209
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Er, stuff to do with housing and medical stuff while at university.  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
So, yeah - like you ALL know by now I'll be starting at Clarion in the fall (well, August 25th, but whatever) and I spoke in my other post about how I will most likely be getting my own suite [big enough for three people, has it's own bathroom] because they opened that option to me due to the fact that I'm a transsexual student.

The school, I have to say, was incredibly good about it. I spoke to the vice-president of the housing... section... thing and he pretty much opened three options to me depending on what my comfort level was:

1. Normal situation in which I stay in a normal dorm in the male section, with a roommate and, like everyone else, use the male bathrooms [which are shared by everyone on that floor].
2. I get a normal dorm room to myself with no roommate but still use the male bathrooms.
3. The suite situation. Which is safest because I am staying alone and get my own bathroom.

I do NOT plan on being out on campus as trans at all. I will be telling no one. Additionally, the only person in authority at the university that knows ARE the housing people. I like it best this way. However, most likely I'm going to have to speak with someone from the health department there that will be in charge of giving me my bi-weekly testosterone injections [... yeah, I was really determined to toughen up and do it myself, so I read an internet article about how to do self intramuscular injections and halfway through reading it I had to stop and lay down as I was getting lightheaded and woozy. I'm thinking there is the distinct possibility I may have a needle phobia.]

But I am worried about what other students might say in regards to me having my own suite and them having to bunk up with some asshole roommate that listens to heavy metal until 3 in the morning, etc. I'm wondering if the cons outweigh the pros in this situation if people find out there's something different about me anyway even though my goals in taking a suite are to avoid a shitty situation in a bathroom or something and having someone look through the door or whatever while I'm changing. People can react violently if they 'feel' they've been 'tricked'.

I also don't know what the policies are there as far as HIV positive students and having medication or who I would have to get it through and if they need to be notified that I am taking medication, etc. I know I should probably call or send an email over but this is just one more sensitive issue that I really don't feel like getting out to anybody but those who absolutely have to know. Anyone have to go through this process before? I'm not even sure what to ask for if I send them an email.

Also, my doctor is over here on the other side of the state. I go about every 3 months now for labs and stuff like that. I don't even want to have to think about the pain in the ass-ness of having two doctors taking care of this stuff, but I'll be 5+ hours away from home during the fall/winter/spring and ugh. Does anyone else have to deal with this? What do I do? D: D: D:

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
Re: Er, stuff to do with housing and medical stuff while at university.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »
Jaser, most universities have like a student health center (aka clinic).  You might want to enquire about this and set up an appointment to talk to the doctor there, if you feel comfortable in doing that.  He/she might be able to refer you to a good doctor locally where you'll be.  Just a thought sweetness.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
Hey there, baby cakes. I might be able to help you with your concerns. The ASO I deal with here headquarters or whatever you want to call it is through Clarion University. Here is the number....1-800-359-2437....This is the number that I call to speak to my Clinic Nurse Leah who works out of the university. There is also a clinic there too, my ID doctor works from there as well. It maybe who you have to see while attending the university. When you call, ask for Leah's voicemail and leave her a message. I forget her last name but the receptionist will put you into her voicemail. She works from other places too through the University so a lot of times she may be out of the office but I guarantee you she will return your call. She's good about that. Good Luck. And I wouldn't worry about what others think about you having a dorm room to yourself. If they ask you about it, tell them to take it up with the housing people.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »
Hey there, baby cakes. I might be able to help you with your concerns. The ASO I deal with here headquarters or whatever you want to call it is through Clarion University. Here is the number....1-800-359-2437....This is the number that I call to speak to my Clinic Nurse Leah who works out of the university. There is also a clinic there too, my ID doctor works from there as well. It maybe who you have to see while attending the university. When you call, ask for Leah's voicemail and leave her a message. I forget her last name but the receptionist will put you into her voicemail. She works from other places too through the University so a lot of times she may be out of the office but I guarantee you she will return your call. She's good about that. Good Luck. And I wouldn't worry about what others think about you having a dorm room to yourself. If they ask you about it, tell them to take it up with the housing people.

Whoa, thank you Queen. <3 That's perfect.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »
Mouse, you will want someone else to give you shot. That shit is as thick as motor oil and it's hard to draw up in a syringe let alone push it. It's better to take it in the hip. Just make sure you lift that foot off the floor a little to let the muscle in your hip relax, it makes it easier for the injection to enter and doesn't OUCH as bad.  ;)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »

Whoa, thank you Queen. <3 That's perfect.

Not a problem, sweet pea. Anything to help you out. Oh and I forgot to mention, the ID doc is gay too so maybe he will can be helpful in other areas as well.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline next2u

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
hey there squeaker,

so you have 3 options for your living situation. i think you've chosen the best one. given your concerns the suite would afford you the most privacy. if the boys are curious or jealous thats fine - its better than them having bona fide knowledge of your situating before you want to disclose. another plus - you can always throw minikeggers in your suite - you have access to privacy the other boys don't have.

in a nutshell, don't worry about the other students pondering - it's up to you what you want to tell them regarding your housing situation, that's if you want to tell them anything at all. have fun at clarion, and don't get in too much trouble with the boys - you college lads are always up to something : )~

midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »
The school, I have to say, was incredibly good about it. I spoke to the vice-president of the housing... section... thing and he pretty much opened three options to me depending on what my comfort level was:

1. Normal situation in which I stay in a normal dorm in the male section, with a roommate and, like everyone else, use the male bathrooms [which are shared by everyone on that floor].
2. I get a normal dorm room to myself with no roommate but still use the male bathrooms.
3. The suite situation. Which is safest because I am staying alone and get my own bathroom.
. . .
But I am worried about what other students might say in regards to me having my own suite and them having to bunk up with some asshole roommate that listens to heavy metal until 3 in the morning, etc. I'm wondering if the cons outweigh the pros in this situation if people find out there's something different about me anyway even though my goals in taking a suite are to avoid a shitty situation in a bathroom or something and having someone look through the door or whatever while I'm changing. People can react violently if they 'feel' they've been 'tricked'.

Sounds like the housing folks were pretty quick to come up with a solution.  Maybe they have had other folks in similar situations and can tell you how many people are in suites by themselves already or can offer some advice on how others have dealt with the situation?  Might be worth a shot while they are trying to be helpful.

Good luck in your college adventures.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »
I would choose to stay by yourself, too. I opted to for personal reasons and, although I did have to pay higher housing fees, I'm glad I did it.  When people asked why I had a big ol' room all to myself, I just joked that I had some pretty bad habits and didn't work well with others.  It helped that I would have "friends" over to study and sometimes to stay the night (although very rarely).

My doc at the time wrote a letter to the University clinic to get "stuff" arranged.  Everything still went through my doc, but if I had any issues, which only happened once, I at least had a file and a clinic doc who knew my situation. I was also able to have my prescriptions transferred to the University clinic which made them free to me.  If you can get in touch with all the folks Queen posted about, I'd say you were WAY ahead of the game.

I'm glad you are thinking about these things now so that the move and transition won't be so stressful.  I'm still gonna worry about you because, like I told you before, I'm a mom. (and yes, I "have" to :P)

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
It helped that I would have "friends" over to study and sometimes to stay the night (although very rarely).
I don't think I would call the whole football team, a few friends.  :-*

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
Mouse,

I saw this when you posted and didn't reply at first because I think my take is against the grain.  Going to post anyway for you to either discard or think about.

When it comes to the housing situation on a college campus you are going to get a lot of grief and a lot of scrutiny for having your own suite.  I remember in my college that anyone who lucked out by having a roommate situation get screwed up and having a room to themselves and not wanting a new roommate getting a lot of gripes (and complaints to administration) from those who might get stuck in temporary triples on campus.

I agree that it boils down to not giving a damn of what others think and frankly I think you should go for your own suite.  I just really believe you got to prepare yourself for some scrutiny and BS from others who are going to take issue with what they see as unfairness by housing.

All that said, what I think is a possible long term solution is go for the suite and then as you meet people you trust and make friends on campus who you want to share with, those are the ones you can perhaps invite to move into your suite by the second semester and thereby taking any pressure off.

Just a thought.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.