POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:42:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24261
  • Latest: Ibre
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650024
  • Total Topics: 49616
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Doctor has me freaked out.  (Read 2190 times)

Offline expatinchina

Doctor has me freaked out.
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
 Just before returning to the states yesterday from China for Chinese New Year, I went to the clinic where I live with a sore throat that I have had for 8 weeks. The doctor (from Spain, looked like he was fresh out of school) looked and said he could not see anything.

After a swab for Strep and check of my ears, nose, etc, he asked about my sexual history. As I have been married for 10 years there wasn't much to tell other then nights out with the boys every now and then.

Sometimes those nights get pretty crazy. For my own self never any sex but I have fingered, been sucked, and even licked girls as they were dancing and giving massages. The last such incident was just after returning from Thanksgiving, about 9 weeks ago.

He took another swab of my throat and examined it under a microscope and said he did not see any bacteria such as gonorrhea. At this point I am freaking out. He then said let's do an HIV test. I nearly wet myself! He swabbed my mouth and 20 minutes later it showed negative. He said that touching and licking a vagina is low risk for HIV and other things and he wanted to rule those out.

He then gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics and said probably nothing to worry about and hurried off to scare the crap out of somebody else I am sure.

All I have done since retuning home is research the Internet.

From everything said here and other websites, I have no risk, is this true?
 It looks like a test again in 3 weeks eliminates the concern; do I need to test again?
 I am nearly loosing my mind. Please tell me that I haven;t put my wife or myself at risk for HIV.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Doctor has me freaked out.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
Oriental Expat,

Your doctor has it wrong. You absolutely cannot contract HIV from munching on pussy. Just won't happen. You don't need to test for HIV any further. Your negative results are rock-solid conclusive.

If you haven't already then might I suggest you please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted?

Regards,

MtD

Offline expatinchina

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
Wow, that was a fast response. Do you guys work in a center where there are people waiting to answer?

The doctor at the clinic said the test was from the US (I guess, one of the few things other then basketball and Jack Daniels we export) and was conclusive at 9 weeks.

Why would a Western trained doctor lead me to believe I am at risk?

How do I stop this now constant paranoia I have had for 2 days?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:39 PM »
Nope we don't work in a centre. We're just the best HIV site on the Web. We only do one thing (HIV) and we do it better than anyone else.

I can't explain why a western doctor would get it wrong. But lots of doctors are not as knowledgeable about HIV as they should be.

Yes, you can let your unfounded fears go. :)

Be well,

MtD

Offline expatinchina

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

I have been reading around that the tests are not conclusive at 9 but 12 weeks. Is there a chance of going positive in the next 3 weeks?

I would guess the put a safety factor on these tests to take into account the fact  that people may not know when they last did something.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
In your case 9 weeks is sufficient because nothing you did put you at risk.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So at 13 weeks even a slower seroconverter would be covered. This is all simply information to file away. You weren't at risk so it doesn't apply to you.

Andy Velez

Offline expatinchina

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »
Andy thanks for the follow up.

Is the team's prognosis based an absolute fact or is it like some other websites I have come across where I have a 1 in a million chance but there is still a chance?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »
When one of says "no risk" to you we mean exactly that.

I'm not willing to indulge in nit picking on your part and getting involved with your anxiety driven quest for absolute 100% categorical certified certainty, after which you will in all likelihood follow a common pattern and come back with another what if.

You were absolutely not at risk for HIV transmission in any of the activities you have cited. Period. End of story. Got it?

If guilt is what this is about, which it often the real issue when hubbies play scratch and sniff in other stalls, then you need to dump that overboard right now. Get on with your life. HIV is not your issue. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.