POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 04:50:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24078
  • Latest: Rlhayn
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647779
  • Total Topics: 49368
  • Online Today: 167
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 112
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Don't Know Where Else to Turn To......  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Mickey

Don't Know Where Else to Turn To......
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »
I'm new to this forum, and I dont know where else to turn to.  I'm soo paranoid and depressed right now I dont know what to think and its making me sick.  I'm a worry freak and I do have a bit of anxiety that has gotten better over time.  I need some help for I am literally killing myself in wondering if I'm infected with HIV.

As goes my story and sorry for it being long.  I'm a 24 heterosexual active male. I work in emergency services both fire and EMS so I deal with a lot of patients when I'm on call taking them to the hospital.  I engage in a lot of oral sex on women if they are into it. I've 95% of the time used protection when it came to intercourse, the times that were unprotected were with females that I've had long relationships with.  I'd say about 3 girls total throughout my life that I've not used a condom.   anyone else, I always use it.  the last girl that I had unprotected sex with was probably about 2 years ago.  my background comes like this.

3 years ago I was diagnosed with strep throat(tonsilitis) many many times and had my tonsils removed.  a year after I got them removed, I contracted chlamydia and was treated for the STD with noticable symptoms. 2 weeks of the antibotic I was cured.   about 4 months later in the year then I noticed a red spot start to form on my penis and I had really bad cramping in my abdomen.  I was a worry freak thinking I may have also contracted herpes.  so I went to the free clinic 2 weeks later and was tested and came back negative for everything.  they claimed that it may have been an irritation from rough intercourse.  later on the condition on my penis worsened and spots began to form and the skin started peeling. of course my cramping didn't go away and had persistant diarreha (sorry I cant spell)  later on I visited a urologist and he said that the bumps on my penis just may be irritation and they should go away if not, go see a dermatologist, as for the cramping & going to the bathroom a lot, I should go back to my doctor.  so I visited both doctors.  the dermatologist ruled that the conditon on my penis was "inverse" psoriasis  (skin condition that affects the genitals, vagina, or penis)   relived, he gave me an ointment that I use today that controls it.   went back to my doctor for my cramping, I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrom) based upon my symptoms and my eating habbits.  he put me on a medication and a small diet that relieved a lot of the cramping and the going to the bathroom.  it got me on the track of eating healthier and stop drinking sugars and carbs (sodas, energy drinks).  energy drinks, sodas, spicy foods and some dairy products triggered the condition to come back a few times, but I've been good now for the past year.  so living with both these conditions I thought I was in the clear.  ever since then, every 3 months I've gotten tested for STDs and HIV and all came back negative.

currently I've been dating a girl now for over 6 months, we've been sexually active and only have had sex maybe 6 times throughout the relationship, all times protected. at times it was just oral or making out. she's only been with one guy before me.  here comes the kicker.  not too long ago, I started getting a soar throat in my mouth.  I didn't think anything of it since its the colder weather and thinking I got a cold or flu.  so I took some OTC meds and the pain went away.  it later came back and it felt as if I had pressure (like someone was choking me or something was clogged in my neck).  felt around my neck and it felt a little painful near my lymph nodes and on the lower portion of my neck where it meets my shoulders.  I also was coughing occassionally with nothing coming up, then later on some mucus was coming up.  while brusing my teeth within the 2nd week of having this symptom, I looked in the back of my mouth and saw a grayish/white patch about the size of thumb tack in the rear of my mouth above where my tonsil used to be.  its not painful nor does it scrape away but it feels weird at times.  so I continued to take over the counter meds to relieve the choking feeling.   having no other symptoms, except here and there feeling light headed, and an occassional ear pain or two, nothing else.  the last sexual intercourse I had with my girlfriend was about 2 weeks ago, protected.   a week afterwards, she was starting to have really bad cramps and pain to the point where she couldn't walk or eat.  they took her to the emergency room and they think she may have an ovarian cyst, (her mom has had it too)   but the thing that scared me the most was when she came back and she said she had to go get tested for HIV or STDs before she can go through any other treatments for the cyst.  I occassionally look in my mouth and see that white patch, but I also notice another one on the other side of my mouth, in the back, in the area where my wisdom tooth used to be.  it scares the crap out of me looking at both spots in my mouth and I also notice a slight discoloration on the roof of my mouth, like a yellowish pink.   I have NO other symptoms like chills, night sweats, fever, etc.  as listed for HIV symptoms

i've scheduled an appointment with my doctor but cant get in to see him for at least another week and the free clinic isn't offering testing till next month since I missed the testing day last week.   I just need some reassurance as to everyone's expertise to what these grayish white spots in my mouth can be, for its causing a big worry and causing me to go into a depression thinking its HIV related and if I've passed it onto my girlfriend orally.   every website I look up and punch up my symptoms, HIV comes up somewhere in the paragraph and it just kills me.....    :-[    please help

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Don't Know Where Else to Turn To......
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
First of all you need to take a couple of nice, deep and slow breaths in and out, right now. I mean it. That's going to help to calm you down. And remember to do it whenever you become aware of feeling tense.

Now, as far as your HIV concerns. Because you have had unprotected intercourse you needed to get tested. You did that and tested negative. You only need to re-test if there has been unprotected intercourse since then. If so, it should be done at 13 weeks after you last such incident. That's always the only way to know your status accurately.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. So odds are way in your favor that you're going to test negative. None of your other activities put you at risk for transmission.

If you have have further troublesome symptoms that's something to discuss with your doctor. Nothing you are reporting is in any way suggestive of HIV to me nor in any way HIV specific.

You always ought to be using a condom anytime you are having intercourse outside of a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners have tested negative.

Good luck with your test result if you need to take one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:46:35 PM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Don't Know Where Else to Turn To......
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
Mickey,

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection. Going down on a woman is not a risk for hiv infection. Protected intercourse is not a risk for hiv infection.

As long as you haven't had unprotected intercourse since your last negative hiv test, you're still going to be hiv negative. Nothing you have done with the new woman in your life has been a risk.

We cannot possibly diagnose what's in your mouth. You need to go show it to your doctor or dentist. Whatever it is, it's highly unlikely to have anything to do with hiv.

The only way to know your hiv status is through testing. From all you've told us, I fully expect you to still be hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.