POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22247
  • Latest: d18p
Stats
  • Total Posts: 621112
  • Total Topics: 46783
  • Online Today: 223
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Living a positive life being HIV+  (Read 4583 times)

Offline mplsdoubled

Living a positive life being HIV+
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »
Hello Everyone!

After reading for several weeks, I'm going to jump in.  I will try to keep this short.

I tested positive on September 4, 2007 - about 6 weeks ago at an anonymous testing location.  I was devastated but forced myself to take control and not be a vicitim.  I immediately scheduled an appointment with my doctor (who is AWESOME) and got my first set of labs.  The are as follows:

cd4=347 (33%)
VL=115,000

I await the results from my second set of labs and will get those results next week Thursday.  I'm not anxious about this at all.  In fact I look forward to it.  I'm going to take control of this diagnosis and my life to the best of my ability and not let it control me!  Regardless of what my numbers are next week or in the future, I know that there is enough support (medical and psychological) out there for me that I don't have to wallow in sorrow and depression.

This sucks.  It's not what I had planned for my life.  I lost a boyfriend over it and fear intimacy as I move forward BUT with all of the crap that comes with this virus I know that there will be opportunities and great experiences also.  I will focus on those and look forward to embracing the path that my life will now follow.

For those of you that are new, give yourself all the time you need to wrap your arms around your new diagnosis but DON'T let yourself be a vicitim.  We can have a long, healthy, exciting life if we choose to.  You have two choices - either this diagnosis defines you or you define it.  Which one will you choose?

The best to all of you for good health and happiness!

Offline komnaes

Re: Living a positive life being HIV+
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
Great to hear from you mplsdoubled

I am a newbie and I fully agree that keep a positive attitude is vital. Please keep it up! We are in for the long haul.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:25:44 AM »
Hi friend, so glad to read your post and see the optimism you share while you write :)

Well done, keep it up, it is true to be ill sucks but... we can make things better if we want to.

Warm hugs, keep the motivation up!!

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline goodpoz

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »
To all of you that are LIVEING with this awfull disease and have this positive attidude and "yes I can" way of thinking. CONGRADULATION!!!!!! Thats excatly what all of us that are HIV+ have to have to continue to live as normal as a life as we can,or what ever your normal is.
I found out my HIV status on my B-Day of 2000, very sick of course and since this was the first time I had ever gotten tested my illness had progressed to and AIDS diagnosis. Prognosis , two years at most. Well oviously I beat that predition and I am happy to say that I am healthier  now then I have ever been in my life. I was able to deal with my addictions and have been clean and sober since that day in 2000.
I think the most amazeing thing for me is I have used my illness is a very positive way ( no pun intended). I am now an HIV/AIDS speaker in schools.  I talk where ever they let me or ask me on HIV/AIDS prevention. I am the President of our local ASO ( AIDS Service Organization) www.ValleyAIDSinfo.org I am currently the Community Co-Chair for Oregon's Statewide HIV Prevention Planning Group ( SPG) I have been to Wasington DC repesenting Our HIV+ folkes here in Oregon, Asking our Congressmen and Senators to approve more money for treatment and care. What a thrill that is for me to just have the courage not to mention the energy to be ablle to do all of this .
I am very thankful for all the help and of course the support I have received from friends, family and even strangers. We all need that.
We are the same people we were before we became infected with HIV and In my case I think a better person , not that I was bad before.
We are all still here for a reson I beleive . I am sure so many of us have more crossed out names in our address book because that friend has died , but we are still here and we still have a job to do. Every one needs a purpose  and a mission in life. What ever  you choose to do with the rest of your life you do have a option now you are LIVEING!!!!! We are the lucky ones.At least I feel lucky. Anyways I guess one of the side effects of one of the meds I am on is "rammbling on " so I will deal with that now and say Good luck to all of you .  And remember,This is a journey , maybe not quite the one you whould of choosen but its yours now ,and its up to you to make the most of it. Take care of yourself.Be kind to your self and most of all love your self !!!

Health and happiness to you all,
Bob

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
MPLS, welcome! You've got a great attitude that's going to serve you well as you adjust to living with HIV. It's good to know you've found a doctor whom you're happy with. Developing a good working partnership with your doctor is one of the best tools for staying healthy.

It will take a while for the pattern of your numbers to emerge. There's no need to rush and make any decisions at this point about getting on to meds or not. Give yourself and your doctor time to see how things are going. In the meantime doing basic things like good nutrition, exercise and rest will all help you to stay well.

You're welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind. You can participate as much or as little as you are comfortable with.

And again, welcome!
Andy Velez

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 02:44:35 AM »
Welcome MPLS

I agree with your comments

" I'm going to take control of this diagnosis and my life to the best of my ability and not let it control me! "

Good for you

Offline med forum

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
Wow....thank you for such an inspirational message! Although I am not positive, I come here whenever I get a chance to build up my hope and strength. My boyfriend was diagnosed almost two years ago and our relationship has had its ups and downs  in the last 8 months or so. I try to read the stories that people like you  post in order to stay positive and keep hope alive!

All the best to you
Peace & health

Offline mplsdoubled

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
Hello.  I thought I would provide an update.

I received my third set of labs on Dec. 27.  VL=167,000, CD4=280.  I started Atripla the next day and have been on it for two weeks now.

Until starting meds I had really jumped back into life and often times forgot that I am positive.  Life was great!  When the decision was made to start meds, I have to admit that for a few days I was down in the dumps.  Not suicidal by any means but the reality of this diagnosis was impossible to avoid. 

Today, I'm doing quite well.  I've bounced back from the temporary downer of starting meds and am again re-engaging in LIFE.  I struggle with the issue of dating and intimacy but this struggle is not more severe than any other struggle I might have without an HIV diagnosis.  My life is great and I will do all I can to make sure it continues to stay that way. 

I was talking with a friend last night and admitted that while being HIV+ is not something I would have ever chosen for myself, I realize that there are very few, if any, people I would trade lives with.  Whether it is apparent or not, EVERYONE has their fair share of trials and tribulations to deal with.  One of mine happens to be that I am HIV+ but it's not something that I can't deal with and manage.  I think that many of the things that people have to deal with are and can be so much more diffcult to deal with and manage so I am fortunate to be at peace with my diagnosis and happy to keep on living!

On a side note, I'm doing really well on the Atripla!  A little dizziness the first few nights but other than that, no side effects and just one pill a day!!!  Life is good!

Keep smilin' everyone!!!!

Doug

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Excellent post mplsdoubled i totally agree with you, i was very upset during the first week but after getting confirmation i thought right there is no going back now i can either let it rule my life or let me rule it. 

i have decided to be the boss of my infection.  it wont take control of me i will take control of it.  it hast to learn who is in control!

Hiv is a part of me now and i am starting to accept it.  it has not took me long to accept it, i am lucky in the UK we do not have to pay for MEDS we get them free on our National Health Service, so i dont have to worry about funding my treatment, all the doctors are free too.

I want to take stock of my life, find a boyfriend and live the lots of years that i have left.

x
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline Jacques

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »
It is allways a pleasure to see  such a positive attitude,  mplsdoubled  and all those who see life with optimism.  I have been thinking this way since my diagnosis in 1987 and I am sure it helped me to get through.  Here I am twenty years later, still optimistic and well alive.

regards,
Jacques

Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
Mpls,
I am very heartened to read how you have risen to the challlenge of your diagnosis.  Each of us experiences ups and downs in life, and HIV can amount to a minor inconvenience to many and a major heartache to many others. 

I encourage you to keep an optimistic outlook and to think about the not-so-rosey future proactively--it's to the second part which I attribute longevity, more than just a happy face.  Have you thought of how you will react to side effects of meds which become a burden?  Or how to assess when it's time to switch meds while they are still working, simply to avoid "failure"?

Not ot be a downer, just always think one step ahead.

Stay well and woofy,
David

"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.