POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 06:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639470
  • Total Topics: 48540
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 190
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What a pain  (Read 2525 times)

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
What a pain
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »
Since this isn't an HIV issue directly, I thought this the best place to post it.

I haven't been writing much the past week or so because I have had some issues - or one issue - to deal with.

I have had an abscessed tooth. Normally, antibiotics clear up the problem in no time. But this time, it is being stubborn. Three days on Amoxicillin (sp?) and it is still being a bother. Not as bad, mind you, but the swelling and pain keeps coming and going, especially at night.

They gave me Tylenol with codeine to help with the pain. Worthless stuff. Didn't do a thing.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant because I hate toothaches.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Basquo

Re: What a pain
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »
Tylenol-3 is about as effective on pain as baby aspirin.  You need no less than Norco-10's, maybe 2 at a time.

Any questions?  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
I'm sorry, hun.  I, myself, think I chipped a tooth on my mother's homemade hard candy over Christmas and I need to make a dental appointment.

Perhaps you should insist on a higher power pain reliever?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
Pull that sucker.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
I feel for you. I can deal with any pain but a headache or a toothache. I don't get toothaches that often. I was just at the dentist last month to get my teeth cleaned. Not one cavity...That abcess isn't filling with pus or anything is it? I heard that is like poison to the system. I have to agree with Roddles, if it's giving you that much problems then you should get it pulled. I know that's prolly not what you want to hear but......Just saying...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »
You may need to up your antibiotics to either a higher dose or a stronger med.  I don't think a dentist will pull a tooth that is absessed.  But, like Queen said, that stuff can travel into your sinus cavity and reek all kinds of havoc.  Think it's time to call in for some reinforcements.

Mum - who hates toothaches and dentists and really hopes you feel better soon. :-*
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
Matty the Damned agrees with Roddles here, Comrade Mark -- have that sucker pulled.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »
Hi Mark

I agree with Rod and Matty have it pulled and the abscess drained.. taking pain meds at the moment is only masking the problem, take the pain meds aftr you have had it pulled if needed.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »
Marc,

Sorry to hear about the tooth. Is there something else they can prescribe that is stronger than the amoxicillin ? Just seems that three days should be long enough for an anti-biotic to start clearing up an infection around the tooth. But then maybe I'me  wrong. I agree there is nothing worse then a tooth ache.

Hope things get better----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Well, since the Amoxicilin didn't do the trick, I talked to my doctor and he prescribed Clindamycin. Apparently it is a pretty strong antibiotic. I started yesterday afternoon and already can discern a difference.

It also gives you a funny, bitter, metallic taste in your mouth and I have to watch out for thrush. But at least it seems to be working.

I see the dentist tomorrow (finally!).

HUGS,

Mark

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
Hello Mark,

Glad that things are finally starting to improve, and that you have the appt. tomorrow with the dentist.

It seems to me I remember some medication ( at one time) giving me that metallic taste. Can't remember what it was though.

Good luck tomorrow-----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
Well, saw the dentist today and, low and behold, he agrees with our dear MtD of Oz - plans are to yank it next Thursday after the infection is better under control.

He also changed my antibiotics - again. This time its Keflex, which, he said, is better for tooth stuff.

OK. Whatever. I just want it over with.

After X-rays and much poking and prodding along very tender tissue, the dentist determined that the nerve of the molar in question had abscessed, draining its nasty ooze through the roots of the tooth, until the roots became clogged and then, yep, toothache. During this draining period, the infection managed to break down or otherwise cause the demise of much of the bone material holding the tooth in my head. Now it is somewhat mobile and not fun to chew with any longer.

He was surprised at how fast the bone around said tooth had disappeared, because I had just had a cleaning a short time ago and no problems were detected. I didn't have any pain until Jan. 5, and it went downhill fast after that.

Anyway, I hope this will soon be a closed chapter.

Just an update.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
Ja, they gotta clear up the infection before the pull the sucker to avoid things like blood poisoning and infective endocarditis.

Keflex is good stuff. Should do the trick.

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
Mark that sounds awful.  I have dentures, but just reading what happened made my jaws hurt!  I hope the days between now and when it's pulled go fast! :-*
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Jody

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »
Hi Mark...I hope you get this cleared up very soon and feel better.   Take care.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
::shudders::
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »
Hell if that sucker is already moving on its own just grab it with your fingers and yank it. Any pain that ensues can be cleared up with a martini. I'd drink 2 but that's just me.

Good luck.

David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.