Main Forums > Living With HIV

Parents and 14,000 die from AIDS

(1/2) > >>

ACinKC:
SO, I shared my numbers with my parents this morning.  They are VERY supportive and realize for the most part that there are diseases out there that make this look like a walk in the park as far as fatal diseases go!  (please dont take this as I am minimizing this disease in ANY way.  I just try to see the positvie things about life and this is my way of saying to myself that it COULD be worse.  I had a cousin my same age die of brain cancer in less than 6 mos. NOTHING could be done.  From that day on I considered myself SOMEWHAT lucky.  He left behind a lovely wife and daughter....im still here for my girls!)

Any way..... my question is this.  They watched a show last night that said with the new drug regimens (specifically the new 3 banger)14,000 would die from AIDS in the US this year and 3 million worldwide.  Being somewhat new to all this I am curious as to if this is true for the US as I thought it would be higher!  Anyone know what show this may have been?  I can't seem to find it and would like to see it.

Just trying to educate myself some more..... 

The Canuck:

--- Quote ---14,000 would die from AIDS in the US this year and 3 million worldwide.  Being somewhat new to all this I am curious as to if this is true for the US as I thought it would be higher!
--- End quote ---

I don't know if these figures for the USA are correct, but if so this is still a lot of death. It also shows the limitation of meds in time for the US figures when there are no more options available. However you see right away that the countries who doesn't access to meds have a much higher death rate to say the least.

Regards,

The Canuck

allopathicholistic:

--- Quote from: ACinKC on July 13, 2006, 04:15:00 PM ---They are VERY supportive and realize for the most part that there are diseases out there that make this look like a walk in the park as far as fatal diseases go! 

--- End quote ---

e.g. cancer, multiple sclerosis, diabetes; the list goes on -i agree with you

a cousin of mine has hypothyroidism --- it certainly isn't a walk in the park for her

we know you're not minimizing hiv  8)

pozniceguy:
AC
 I agree with your positive outlook.....I have had a cousin die at  18yrs old from cancer....two other relatives with Breast cancer..and one with combination Heart attack / Stroke/diabetes.....  It has been :) nearly 20 yrs since infected and I am still here doing pretty well.

Nick ;D

B99:
How many of those 14K deaths are actually from people on treatment?  I think a lot of that number is made up of people who don't know they have HIV/AIDS, who have not seeked treatment and/or have an opportunistic infection. It is too late, for them, to do anything about it. But I do also think that some of them are people who have no more options, whether financially or drug wise.
About 170K die from diabetes every year in the U.S.  (True, there are more people living with diabetes, but that's still a lot).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version