POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636383
  • Total Topics: 48294
  • Online Today: 204
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Auld Lang Syne  (Read 2916 times)

Offline bear60

Auld Lang Syne
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »
This always brings tears to my eyes but its always a part of New Years Eve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3afAIi6IQ&feature=related

"auld lang syne" means something like "the good old days" in old Scottish,  but heres Barbara to tell us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOKw7qq2g0
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Auld Lang Syne
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
hi Josh

The direct scottish translation means "Old long ago"..a song about love and friendship..my beautiful grandmother, as soon as the bells struck midnight she would gather us all together to sing this song, she never brought in a new year without it.

I hope you have a great new year.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »
I love this song, and all the memories it conjurs up.   It always, without fail, makes me cry.

I mourn for the New Year's Eves from years ago, and the life I had then; I am thankful for being able to celebrate yet another New Year's Eve!  And I look forward to celebrating many many more.

Happy New Year to everyone in my A.M. family!   Especially to you, dear Jan.

Love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 07:17:41 AM »
I also luv the song.  And Alan, I know what you mean about remembering New Year's Eves of years ago.  Here's to many more though to everyone on here-you people mean a lot to me! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »
Jan
Was your Grandmother Scottish? Kurt has 1/4 Scottish in him and he bought a kilt a few years ago...he looks so nice in it.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of all the words that they can post here?

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 01:32:24 PM »
Excuse my dumb, but "should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind"... I've never understood how that fits in with the obviously nostalgic and touching quality of the song.

Someone kindly clarify so that I have one less mystery in my life.

Andy Velez

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »
Hi Josh

My grandmother was born in Ireland but moved to Scotland when she was a year old..she was very proud of her Scottish and Irish blood...and I love a man in a kilt.. ;)

Andy..If I remember right it has something to do with forgetting those who have just passed through your life (acquaintances) and were never meant to stay so you can make room for new friends and lovers in the New Year...something along those lines, it's been awhile since my grandmother told me the story, and my memory isn't as good as it once was... ;D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
Andy
I think its that "old English" thing, where the meaning is lost to us....I thought what it meant was: we should not forget our old aquaintences....that by remembering them we keep their memory alive.
Ok ....anybody read old english?

Dan J.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

And days of auld lang syne? And days of auld lang syne, my dear,

And days of auld lang syne.

And days of auld lang syne?

We twa hae run aboot the braes

And pu'd the gowans fine.

We've wandered mony a weary foot,

Sin' auld lang syne.

Sin' auld lang syne, my dear,

Sin' auld lang syne,

We've wandered mony a weary foot,

Sin' auld ang syne.

We twa hae sported i' the burn,

From morning sun till dine,

But seas between us braid hae roared

Sin' auld lang syne.

Sin' auld lang syne, my dear,

Sin' auld lang syne.

But seas between us braid hae roared

Sin' auld lang syne.

And ther's a hand, my trusty friend,

And gie's a hand o' thine;

We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,

For auld lang syne,

We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »
Here is one "translation"... which to me sounds like two men remembering their "good old days" They are drinking a pint to those good old days.

Days Long Ago(Auld Lang Syne)

Should old acquaintances be forgotten
And never be remembered?
Should old acquaintances be forgotten
and days long ago.

Chorus:
For days long ago, my dear,
For days long ago
We'll drink a cup of kindness yet
For days long ago!

And surely you'll have your pint tankard
And surely I'll have mine.
And we'll drink a cup of kindness yet
For days long ago.

Chorus

We two have run about the hills
And pulled the daisies fine
But we've wandered many a weary mile
Since the days long ago.

Chorus

We two have paddled in the stream
From morning sun till dinner-time
But the broad seas have roared between us
Since the days long ago.

Chorus

And here's my hand, my trusty friend,
And give me your hand too,
And we will take an excellent good-will drink
For the days of long ago.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »
Thank you Dan (or hermie ;)) for the words and thank you Bear for the translation.  NOW it finally makes sense!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
You are welcome MIMISMOM....the words clearly read kind of like a toast, and the two men are toasting the good times thay have had in the past. How appropriate for New Years...lets not forget the past year and those good times we have had. ( Like you guys who went to AMG)

modified to add: I love Google.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:50:13 PM by bear60 »

Offline komnaes

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:53 AM »
If you told me in my twenties I would live to experience a scene in my life that mirrored that tear-jerker of a pop song by Dan Fogelberg called "Same old Lang Syne" I would never have believed you.... then it did happen last year, and Dan Fogelberg also just died last week of cancer.

".. and as I turned my way back home
the snow has turned to rain..."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:39:42 AM by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 07:52:17 AM »
I think its that "old English" thing

Hmmmm .. sort of, but not quite.

In Britain, until quite recently (as in the last century), the ‘English’ you spoke (if you could even call it English) was normally quite different to the English you wrote.

If you could read and write, then the English you wrote was an evolution of Middle English .. but only the educated elites actually spoke in that English.

Travel even a short distance from London and you would encounter heavily accented dialects that contained all manner of words that were no part of the written language.

Travel a hundred miles from London and you would encounter dialects that were almost unintelligible.

Watered down versions of the local and regional accents are still there, but only hints of the diverse vocabulary of the native dialects remain in the living spoken language.

‘Syne’ has never been a part of written English. It is the old Norse word for ‘ago’ (or ‘since’) and is common in the native spoken dialects of the parts of Britain (the north and east of England along with the lowlands and islands of Scotland) that had Viking settlement and influences.

‘Lang’ is the standard Germanic (which is what both English and Norse are) word for ‘long’ .. which got bastardised in Middle English (blame the Normans for that), but stayed on as ‘lang’ in most northern dialects.

That whole point of the poem is that Burns is writing in phonetic ‘Scots’ (a lowland dialect of Scotland) rather than formalised written English. He is urging people not to abandon their traditions and spoken language.

Sorry .. I know that was rather tiresome, but how ‘English’ developed from an obscure Frisian tribal dialect of German, spoken only by a few thousand people, is sort of my pet subject  :-[

PS: Scots (the native English, or Scottish English, dialect of lowland Scotland that the poem is written in) is not to be confused with Scottish Gaelic (the native Gallic language of highland Scotland). Burns did nae ken the Gallic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:44:58 AM by vokz »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »
Wow, Vokz, I think that's really interesting.  How do you know all that?  Really, I did enjoy reading it.

OMG, I didn't know Dan Fogelberg died.  That's sad.  I never really was a huge fan, but he was a good singer.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »
How do you know all that? 

It is probably just that I am a fully subscribed member of SBA (Sad Bastards Anonymous).

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 11:24:55 AM »
 Vokz
Thats spoken like a true scholar.  Thank you for filling in for us, some of the mystery.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »
VOKZ FTW
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
Philly
Dont forget to play AULD LANG SYNE at midnight, its a toast to all of us here who have survived another year and have some good memories of the past year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:35:49 PM by bear60 »

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
If you told me in my twenties I would live to experience a scene in my life that mirrored that tear-jerker of a pop song by Dan Fogelberg called "Same old Lang Syne" I would never have believed you.... then it did happen last year, and Dan Fogelberg also just died last week of cancer.

".. and as I turned my way back home
the snow has turned to rain..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIGiX-vc6M8&feature=related

I always loved that song...still do...Dan's best in my opinion.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.