POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620055
  • Total Topics: 46716
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Read any good books lately?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Read any good books lately?
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:07 PM »
We've shared recipes for Christmas goodies, movie reviews, songs that mean something to us. We have yet to talk about any good books that we've read.  I, for one, would much rather cuddle up with a good book than deal with whatever is on the tube.  This summer, i read 19 novels in
2 1/2mths.  I love James Patterson, JD Robb's Roarke and Dallas series (I've read all of them but the newest), Cromwell's Dr. Scarpetta books (read all of those, too, except "Book of the Dead")  I also enjoy the Alex Cross series and anything by John Grisham.  I just read his first non-fiction book "The Innocent Man"...very good.

So, have you read any good books lately?  Or, started something that wasn't worth finishing?  Let us know about it.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: Read any good books lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »
I've still not finished "The Perfect Machine" I never get time to read these days :(
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »
I just finished reading "The Gathering" by Anne Enright - I didn't expect it to be this good that I finished the whole book in 2 nights. I suppose the Irish are very much like Chinese when it comes to family. The best novel for me this year though is J. M. Coetzee's "Diary of a bad year".
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »
I got Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky for Christmas.  I just finished it this weekend.  It's about the Nazi occupation of France in 1940-41.

It's a great read. I highly recommend it.

robert

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Diagnosed + 1989
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
I bought Eric Clapton's autobiography when it first came out and it was well worth it.  I recommend it.  I'm reading Slash's autobiography right now and it's interesting.  Other than that, the only books I seem to get to read are the ones required for my classes at school. :-\
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:16:17 AM »
Now Reading: The Darkest Evening of the Year, by Dean Koontz. Love him!

Mike M

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:54:54 AM »
"The Innocent Man" is an astonishing piece of work. I couldn't put it down and ripped through it in three of four days.

If you are looking for something on the lighter side, any of Carl Hiassen's books will do it. Hiassen is a South Florida journalist and author, and his writing is a serious giggle. Very enjoyable.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline minismom

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
Wish - didn't you just want to jump in the book and smack the idiot police?  Hubby would laugh at me because I'd read a chapter (or sometimes just a few pages) then put the book down and rant about the idiocracy.  If you are looking for a truly wonderful and easy read, "The Jester" by James Patterson is a must! 

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
I got Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky for Christmas. 

gollygee... now why does that name sound so familiar?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
Matty the Damned recommends The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It won the Booker Prize in 2002.

It's a fabulous tale of a boy, a hyena, an orang-utan and a 450 lbs Royal Bengal Tiger.

MtD

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
"The Life of Pi" is a great read, Matty. They should make a movie out of it.

Re: "The Innocent Man", its astonishing how often that kind of thing happens. In addition to the Duke case , which was another serious cluster-fuck, an appeals court here in New York just tossed out the conviction of Martin Tanklieff, a 17 year-old who was wrongly convicted for the murder of his parents. it took the courts seventeen years to figure out that the Suffolk County detective had obtained a bogus confession from a teenager.

It all kinda makes you wonder who is minding the store.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
Actually if you want a real ball-tearer of a read then I can only recommend The Sugar Factory.

It's most rare. I doubt it can be obtained outside of Australia, but you never know.

Published in 1986, what. :)

MtD

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
I admit that this is a shameless act of self-promotion, but there is always "Eldredge Street", which is over in the blogs. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:37:34 PM by wishihadacat »

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
Matty...

you're right.  The Life of Pi is a wonderful book.  I so wanted it to be true.

Wish is spot on about "Eldridge St."  Mini...next time you log on, take a gander.  YOu can read the 1st 2 chapters HERE.  I guarantee you, the author will keep you begging for more!

robert

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
you can never go wrong with patterson or koontz

just ordered up "double cross" and "7th heaven"
(I can't wait for women's murder club to come back after the writers strike. I really think they nailed protraying Lindsay and the gals)

some day I'll own all the koontz novels. I pick them up at goodwill and garage sales all the time. they are perfect reads in the airport waiting on a flight LOL

after recently reading through the DUNE series (since Sandworms of Dune was put out this yr), I've been working through another series lately - Piers Anthony's Xanth books. I had followed them religiously up to about #17 (Harpy Thyme). Since the series is up to about 31(Air Apparent) now, I started re-reading them to catch back up. I'm reading #8 (Crewel Lye -  A Caustic Yarn) of the 26 I own right now.

I just picked up David Brin's "The Postman" at the library. I never realized the movie was based on a book. Doh! At least now I know that Kevin Costner's postman character's name was "Gordon". Speaking of Dune, I also picked up a new Keith Anderson book too, "The Last Days of Krypton". As long as it doesn't clash with the Smallville storyline I'll be happy.

I find I haven't been reading as much lately as I did this Summer. I was knocking off 5 books a week sitting by the pool. But now, I actually returned 2 books to the library just the other day that I never even got around to reading. Maybe the holidays got in the way. Maybe it's just because we're not snowed in yet here in Ohio. LOL They're calling for 5 inches (of snow) by tomorrow, so I'll be starting off the year just sitting in the house reading.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline minismom

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
Leather, I just bought "Cross" today from Boarders.  We have all the Murder Club books and hubby is reading them (he's on 3rd Degree).  I've read all 6 books.  Hubby is a huge "Smallville" fan, too. ;D

My favorite summer activity is sitting on the porch watching the kids play and reading.  It stays daylight until well after 9pm and kids are still in bed before 8, so I pour myself a tall glass of water, grab my bag of crackers, sit out and read until I can't see anymore.

www.watoto.com

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
My last 3 reads, of which two around the same topic:

The Shadow of the Sun
by Ryszard Kapuscinski , a relatively old collection of articles about different events of the african continent. A reality check.

Buddhism and Science
by B. Alan Wallace

and

The Tao of Physics
by Fritjof Capra

Answer a few questions, raise a thousand more and basically enjoy the wild ride of quantum physics...

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
Restless by William Boyd. Good mix of spy thriller and simply good writing.

SUITE FRANCAISE by Irene Nemirovsky.

Ran across this one by accident in a bookstore when the cover photo on the paperback  caught my eye. About halfway through it now and don't want it to end -- in part because it is so engrossing and finely written and not a little because the writer died in Auschwitz not very long after finishing the book. Find myself wanting to warn her so there can be a different ending to her story.

The book is a rich, eloquent, sharply observant portrait of life in France just after their defeat by the Germans in WWII. The writing just flows...
Andy Velez

Offline minismom

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »
Some others have mentioned "Suite Francaise".  I looked for it yesterday at Boarders but they didn't have it.  They did put in an order for me, though, and will call when it's in.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  I haven't heard of William Boyd, but I'll add it to my list.  I keep a list of "must read" books and when hubby is wondering what to get me, he just takes my list and heads for the bookstore ;D then down the hall to Bath and Body.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »
Oh, my goodness!  i don't know how in the world I forgot, but if you like trilogies, "The Circle Trilogy" by Nora Roberts (or JD Robb - they are the same person, but i'm not sure which name she used)  I suggest you get all three and read on after the other.  Hubby read all 3 in about a week and a half. It has romance, action, vampires, "witches", warriors, time travel, all set in Ireland (present and ancient). It culminates in an epic battle of vampires vs. circle warriors in the hills of ancient Ireland to save mankind. A truly awesome read!

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 08:36:42 PM »
For those that like Koontz, his Life Expectancy and Odd Thomas series are some of my favorites. I read a lot of Fantasy....helps me escape this lovely reality here in this world. My favorite author is Mercedes Lackey...she is awesome. Also Michael Stackpole has a good series that starts with the A Secret Atlas. Gave those to a student of mine and he flew through, I let him keep them :)

Also the guy that wrote Wicked wrote a sequel to it called Son of a Witch it was alright, left a lot hanging though. Also his Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister was awesome! Really cool twist on Cinderella. In a real life could happen scenario from the stepsister's point of view.

I read nonstop so fantasy fans like me, hit me up with your favs to! Always looking for books to escape with!

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline 404error

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 05:36:21 AM »
I just finished The Peculiar Memoirs of Thomas Penman and The Redneck Manifesto.  Both were awesome but completely different.  The first one was funny, really funny and I'd read it again.  The second book would likely offend most who read it but I like Jim Goad.  I like how he just says whatever the hell he wants to in the bluntest of terms with no consideration for the reader, only himself.  It's basically about the plight of the working class white man in America and how he has become the whipping boy for everyone who isn't white and working class.

I'm going to start Another Bullshit Night in Suck City tomorrow, looks good.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline minismom

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Jefferey Deaver is another favorite of mine.  All of his Lincoln Rhyme books are awesome as is "The Twelth Card".  All very worth reading.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Just finished "Cross" by James Patterson.  Very good book, with a twist at the end.  Can't wait for "Double Cross" to come out in paperback.  Next, I'm going to "read" my audio book "Book of the Dead" by Patricia Cromwell.  It's her newest Scarpetta book.

mum
www.watoto.com

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »
I'm reading:

Room 606: The SAS House and the Work of Arne Jacobsen

and

Alexander Girard Designs for Herman Miller
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
I've been working through another series lately - Piers Anthony's Xanth books. I had followed them religiously up to about #17 (Harpy Thyme). Since the series is up to about 31(Air Apparent) now, I started re-reading them to catch back up. I'm reading #8 (Crewel Lye -  A Caustic Yarn) of the 26 I own right now.

I haven't felt good at all since the start of the year.  :( There's been too much barfing, and some new really painful problems with joints and muscles. I didn't even take my bike to the park a few days back when we had the lovely warm weather - although I DID go and walk around in the park a friend and her dog for an hour or so.  ;) I haven't decided if I need to call my doc quite yet, so instead of doing much of anything, I've just been reading through those silly Xanth books to keep my mind off of how icky I'm feeling. In the last nine days, I finished up #8 and have read through nearly five more as I'm nearly at the end of #13 (Isle of View) this evening.

you can never go wrong with patterson or koontz
the library just notified me that it's finally my turn to get the newest Koontz, "The Darkest Evening of the Year". WooHoo!

I kinda wish he'd write another Chris Snow book (Seize the Night, Fear Nothing - the kid with XP - not the operating system LOL but the disease; xeroderma pigmentosum--a rare genetic affliction that forces him to avoid light)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:13 AM »
Ugh, no offense to anybody, but I can't stand Dean Koontz. I gave him like 3 different chances with 3 different books and I couldn't take it. They're just SO repetitive and I keep seeing the same words used over and over as if he has like NO vocabulary. It drives me insane. D:

Right now I'm reading through a collection of Lovecraft's stuff - I reaaaally like it so far. I didn't think I would. I also just finished 'Ring' by Kôji Suzuki. That's the book they based the Japanese movie 'Ringu' on and it's remake here 'The Ring'. The Ring scared the shit out of me so I figured the book would, but it didn't. I liked the story a lot though, and it was pretty impressive for a translation. All the translations I've read so far are usually written really simply.

I'm also reading Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel becaue my boyfriend told me to, and so far it's slow but I like it. :D

Offline joemutt

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
Sandor Marai, Embers
Nemirovsky,  Suite Francaise
Vikram Seth, Two Lives (also An Equal Music, A Suitable Boy)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
    • http://winiroo.synthasite.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
Koontz is my favorite. The last two books I read where Brother Odd by Dean Koontz and I am legend by Richard Matheson.
The book I am legend as wayyyyyy different than the movie. Both good and simular in scheme but totally different.

I'm reading The Bachman Books four early novels by Stephen King right now. Between 77 and 84 he wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The books four short stories are Rage, The long walk, Roadwork, and The running man.
I'm on Roadwork right now. So far the book is ok. Not a favorite but it is readable.

Wendy

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=winiroo&page=winiroo&album=21
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.” Margaret Thatcher

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
Funny that you ask!  :D

I'm in the process of rereading The Elfstones Of Shannara by Brooks for the umpteenth time. It's the very first fantasy genre novel that I ever read. Even before any Tolkien!
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
Koontz is my favorite. The last two books I read where Brother Odd by Dean Koontz and I am legend by Richard Matheson.
The book I am legend as wayyyyyy different than the movie. Both good and simular in scheme but totally different.

I'm reading The Bachman Books four early novels by Stephen King right now. Between 77 and 84 he wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The books four short stories are Rage, The long walk, Roadwork, and The running man.
I'm on Roadwork right now. So far the book is ok. Not a favorite but it is readable.

Wendy

I read The Long Walk and Rage when I was like 12 or 13 years old and I really liked both of them, even though they made me really uneasy. I know they're making a movie of The Long Walk soon. They're both really creepy, haha. I think you'll like them if they don't totally disturb you.

Offline 404error

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut is always a good read.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »

I read The Long Walk and Rage when I was like 12 or 13 years old and I really liked both of them, even though they made me really uneasy. I know they're making a movie of The Long Walk soon. They're both really creepy, haha. I think you'll like them if they don't totally disturb you.

The long walk will definitely be a very visually disturbing movie if they do justice to the story.  I look forward to seeing what they do with it.

Rage will likely draw controversy. Its not exactly comparable to Columbine but it of course is a like story.
LOL I dont think I'd want my teenaged son or daughter reading those stories. But then again I read Flowers in the attic at about the same age and I'm not completely twisted. LOL ;D

Wendy

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=winiroo&page=winiroo&album=21
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.” Margaret Thatcher

Offline minismom

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Wow, Flower in the Attic.  I'd forgotten all about that one.  Wasnt' there a sequel that went back and explained how everything happened?  I can't remember the name of it...totally twisted stuff.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
I don't recall ever hearing of a sequel.

Offline leatherman

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »
creepy stories  :o
Flowers in the Attic is the first book in the Dollanganger Series, and is followed by Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, Seeds of Yesterday, and Garden of Shadows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_in_the_Attic

Since I had to go out for some meds this morning (Immodium  ;) ), I made sure to go by the library too so I could pick up that new Koontz book. But it looks like I still have to wait a while longer to read it, since my partner started reading it while I was in the drugstore.  ;D (Nevermind. He was off from work today, and read the WHOLE book so I'll start it tomorrow  ;) )

I can understand what you mean about Koontz though. Personally both he and Stephen King have written a few books that really stunk. ("Tommyknockers" - ugh! Koontz wrote "Taken" which never made any sense) I think that they have ended up writing more stories (for the money) than they probably really had inside of them. That's not to say that they haven't written some great stuff (The Shining, The Bad Place); but when you have authored as many books as these guys some of them are bound to be "not as good" at times.

Heck I've got a James Patterson one called "The Quickie" that sucks too. And I like Patterson. Speaking of Patterson, how about the books about the flying kids? Maximum Ride.  ;D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline minismom

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 06:18:35 AM »
Glad you warned me about "The Quickie".  That was going to be my next book.  Guess I'll move on to "The 6th Target" (which was originally named "The 6th Nanny".  Have you read "The Jester" by Patterson?  Best book he ever wrote as far as I'm concerned.  Easy to read, too, and has a little bit of everything.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Dan J.

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
I just finished rereading A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »
I read the Left Behind series last year. It is by Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye. Its a christian series about the end of times. Revelations stuff. Its not my typical pick as I dont care for religion in general but I really enjoyed the books.

Offline leatherman

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 12:05:34 AM »
I'm up to #16 (Demons don't dream) in the Piers Anthony Xanth series

It took me a few days to finally finish the Koontz book ("Darkest Evening of the Year"). Jim gives it a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down. I enjoyed how "doggie" the book was (no dogs were harmed in the writing of this novel - although there is a scene about a dog's passing :'( ); but the evil characters just weren't believable.

I picked up two more books at the library to read (also checked out "The Producers" and "Narnia" dvds but that's another thread  :D ):

1) "The Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy in Post-9/11 America" by Susan Faludi

Faludi analyzes the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in light of prior American experience going back to insecurity on the historical American frontier such as in Metacom's Rebellion. Faludi argues that 9/11 reinvigorated in America a climate that is hostile to women. Women are viewed as weak and best suited to playing support roles for the men who protect them from attack.

and 2) "Everything is Miscellaneous: the power of the new digital disorder" by David Weinberger

American technologist and commentator describes the evolution of the classification of information and information science, as the Internet becomes a widespread part of people’s lives. The book touches on such subjects as folksonomy and folk taxonomy, social bookmarking, tagging, and the Semantic Web.

In case you couldn't tell, in the library, the first place I always head to is the NEW BOOKS shelf. Throughout the year, I read a dizzing array of books about politics (just how many books has John Dean written?!), media, feminism, racial divisions, epidmics, biographies, self-help, dog-training, just about anything and everything including books from neo-con to liberal views. I still wander back through the regular library shelves occasionally. Just this summer I spent a while in the "P" section (no funny jokes now, y'all) of fiction reading all of James Patterson and Annie Proulx (it is so worth the effort to read any of her books IMHO). Otherwises, you'll find me roaming through the scif-fi. This summer I also read through all the Stephen Donaldson books and started on Piers Anthony -  which leads me back to my current Xanth novel and the end of this lengthy post.

Enjoy your books,
 :D mikie
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline minismom

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
I wish we had a decent library.  The one in our wee town is 10x10 and has a record 125 books - mostly for kids - and no movies.  The big library is about 20 miles away and not the most convienant to get to.  I wish there was a program with books like Netflix where you can put in your request, they mail you the book then you send it back and get another one.  I'd be willing to pay.  It would be cheaper than the gas to go back and forth and far less trouble than dragging the kids out in bad weather and across a busy street. 

mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
Netflix for books is a great idea. Initially my only concerns would be keeping a decent condition of the books loaned and the mailing cost of sending and returning books.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Hi Mum,

Here on the Russian River, we are having a lot of seasonal rain and the river is no where near, close to flooding.  I have selected two books of warmer climates and based on history.  For this storm, I have chosen Texas by James Michener and a book on the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  I normally read two or three books at the same time.  It's like spending a few hours in one culture, moving to a few hours in another and switching back and forth.

I was watching a sit-com rerun on TV last night... A character asked his new girlfriend character what she read... "Billboards and email"  after a long pause for thought, she adds "menus"  ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
Minismom- I love all the authors you mentioned back in December   Iris Johanson, Mariah Stewart, Lisa Jackson and Tami Hoag are some really good authors too.  I can't tell you any titles because I donate them when I am done usually(and I can't remember them :)).  I can read a book in a night.  Thankfully, the Goodwills around here sell paperbacks for .50 and hardcovers for a 1.00.  I stock up in the summer at yard sales ,too.

I can't remember who does the Alex Delaware series but Along came a spider was really good, its old now.  The movie did not do it justice, although it was good.  The thing the kidnapper did with snakes still gives me the chills.

Too bad there isn't a thing that is like Netflix and Freecycle combined.  If they were shipped through USPS book rate the prices wouldn't be too bad.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Roie

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:16 AM »
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Is themost wonderful, superb wel written book that I have read in a long long time, and is definitely in my list of best top 5 books Ive ever read.
 I highly recommend. In fact I have given it as gifts to 4 people. 1 was even a hebrew translation.

Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.