POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 03:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22214
  • Latest: chuff
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620220
  • Total Topics: 46730
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to Start a Public Speaking Career??  (Read 3721 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
How to Start a Public Speaking Career??
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
Okay, so here I am, sitting here while Iggy is on his laptop, me on mine and I am trying to figure out how to kick start a public speaking career...I am reaching out to this forum to ask how I should go about it. I am in the beginning stages of putting together my speeches and presentation, and I am hoping that someone may have some advice on how to do it.

I really want to capitalize on my strengths and public speaking is one of them...can anyone give me advice?
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: How to Start a Public Speaking Career??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
spell it out for me first.

speaking where?  to what audience?  about what specifically?  and how often....occasionally or full time?  addressing a group on behalf of some other party or completely your own show?

start there.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
I would guess you first decide what you want to speak about and then determine who would be interested in what you have to say. I dated a guy who gave seminars on team building and used rope courses and other outward bound type exercises. He approached various corporations, did a lot of networking and was very successful at it.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
I want to talk about HIV and share my story. I would like to do it full time. I think I have a fairly interesting story to tell, and maybe branch out into more motivational stuff...but I think I want to start with what I know first...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
You might want to look at local colleges. Some classes or organizations might be interested in having you as a guest speaker.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »
Talk to Tim (Moffie). Have sent you an email, hon. xx
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:10:22 AM »
You might want to look at local colleges. Some classes or organizations might be interested in having you as a guest speaker.

That is a really good idea! Thanks.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
Talk to Tim (Moffie). Have sent you an email, hon. xx

Thanks sweat pea! I just replied to your email too.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »
A good friend of mine made a very comfortable living by giving "courses" mostly prepared sessions on various team subjects and other situations.....one of the more successful was on learning to deal with differences....a key subject was dealing with people with HIV....several major corporations hired her ...her best advice on why she was successful was to vigorously market yourself...go to whatever community meetings are available..everything from local YMCA to any of the "lunch or breakfast" groups that may be in your neighborhood..  there are some community sponsored "seniors" groups that always want a  speaker ( and really need to know about HIV ) there are many "fraternal groups" that are looking for speakers......some of these will be only for the exposure or maybe a small travel "gratuity"  but the real payoff comes from meeting the people who attend...some of them will almost certainly have a company or group that will be happy to pay you fro your time  and knowledge........Networking is the name of the game....

Good luck

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
A good friend of mine made a very comfortable living by giving "courses" mostly prepared sessions on various team subjects and other situations.....one of the more successful was on learning to deal with differences....a key subject was dealing with people with HIV....several major corporations hired her ...her best advice on why she was successful was to vigorously market yourself...go to whatever community meetings are available..everything from local YMCA to any of the "lunch or breakfast" groups that may be in your neighborhood..  there are some community sponsored "seniors" groups that always want a  speaker ( and really need to know about HIV ) there are many "fraternal groups" that are looking for speakers......some of these will be only for the exposure or maybe a small travel "gratuity"  but the real payoff comes from meeting the people who attend...some of them will almost certainly have a company or group that will be happy to pay you fro your time  and knowledge........Networking is the name of the game....

Good luck

Nick

Nick, thank you very much! This is great advice. As a matter of fact, Iggy and I just got back from meeting with our ASO here, cause we are ging to be volunteering for an event in a couple of weeks, and I mentioned my desire to speak and it just so happened that the executive director of the ASO was there and she mentioned that they were trying to get an "Adult Speakers Bureau" off the ground, and after chatting briefly with her, she asked if I would be interested in helping create it and and get it going...

I would never have known until I asked...I asked and it looks like I may be busy sooner rather than later! <Fingers crossed> here goes!!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 03:06:25 PM »
Jeromy, youre an intelligent, articulate gentleman. With your charisma, Im sure things will get off the ground in no time.  Good luck with it and keep us posted!!

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
Tell you what...... run for political office.  I dont mean for President, no, I mean for City Council or whatever....thats how Harvey Milk got started.....and now his name is HISTORY. (Gay History of course)
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »
Tell you what...... run for political office.  I dont mean for President, no, I mean for City Council or whatever....thats how Harvey Milk got started.....and now his name is HISTORY. (Gay History of course)

Yes but Harvey Milk was murdered!!!

I know what you are saying about running for office though...I have thought about it...but I am also trying to write a book as well, so who knows, that may go in conjunction with all of this too.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
maybe you can have your own talk show.
Id tune in.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »
hmmm...my own talk show...now there is a thought...what would it be called?
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 03:45:59 PM »
Quick.....call Harvey Fierstein and Logo and set it up...you can call it
 "In the Jacuzzi with ME"  and do all your shows in a jacuzzi.
modified to add: In philly there really is a gay talk show called "In Bed With Butch" and all the original seasons shows were done in bed
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:47:36 PM by bear60 »

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »
hmmm...my own talk show...now there is a thought...what would it be called?

how about "Unload with Jeromy"?   :P

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
how about "Unload with Jeromy"?   :P

I can just imagine the spin off series...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
Good news Jeromy ..a "Speakers Bureau" is a great place to start especially with that type of sponsor...you get to lay the ground rules and the  "pattern" for the use of the speakers///IE: you get to help set the rates ,if there are any, for each type of group that requests a speaker.  I was part of a group in Ohio years ago and many of the presentations were gratis but most were paid some type of payment...usually through the speakers bureau.....great way to get started...and the best way to get into places where you wouldn't get a return phone call on your own..

Best of luck

Nick

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
i get my gigs thru my local hiv charity, but they are unpaid and mainly talking to schoolkids. i believe there is some money to be made in talking to trainee medical people here in the uk, but again i only get given these thru my local charity.

mine have varied in what they want me to cover, method of delivery, length of session.

i can send you a bit more info if you want
xxxxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
i get my gigs thru my local hiv charity, but they are unpaid and mainly talking to schoolkids. i believe there is some money to be made in talking to trainee medical people here in the uk, but again i only get given these thru my local charity.

mine have varied in what they want me to cover, method of delivery, length of session.

i can send you a bit more info if you want
xxxxxx

I would love anything you have, that would be wonderful, thank you!

I am really excited about doing this. It is right up my alley...thanks for the offer!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Okay, everyone, I started it...This is giving me a sense of purpose again. Sharing my story will hopefully encourage people not to take everything they have for granted and hopefully, it will inspire folks to get tested and often.

I also followed up with my local ASO today, with an email to the executive director about starting a speakers bureau here in the Carolinas, and who knows, hopefully that will turn into something I can do full time. It's time for me to make a career change, and I want to do something that is close to my heart and allows me to pull on my strengths.

And I have started my book in conjunction with all of this. Though I am only a few pages and a several thousand words into it, I couldn't think of a better time to start change.

Thank all of you for your support.

Modified - Would you believe that as I just posted this I got an email from the exec director and she wants to meet with me the last week of November to discuss getting an adult speaker's bureau started!! I just can't believe it...I am really excited about this you guys...I mean, this could really turn into something wonderful! Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 03:39:35 PM by pozguy75 »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline bear60

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 03:44:04 PM »
Just too fabulous!!!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »
Great news again...glad you got such a positive response.....one point that I have seen forgotten by persons who sell their service is that they forget ( are reluctant) to ask for the sale.....like any good salesperson you need to ask..it is an essential part of creating a paying service career..so don't be reluctant to ask for money...you will accept some gratis jobs of course but everyone knows that you need to eat....

Nick

Offline AlanBama

• 'class' of '87
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 08:16:45 PM »
Great news!   I am pulling for you honey.....best of luck !  I hope you can turn this into a successful career.

I was part of a speaker's bureau at DeKalb Medical Center in Atlanta for several years, back in the 90's.   They did a lot of HIV/AIDS training for medical professionals at that time, and usually part of their daily seminar would include a panel of "people living with this disease".   We told our stories, had a question and answer session, etc.  We got a small gratuity for our participation.

I think I am the only one from that bureau still surviving....

In loving Memory of Debbie Thomas-Green (one of my fellow PWA's )
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »
November 27, 2007 at 10AM!!

That's the date and time I meet with the executive director!!! My plan to take over the world is now set in motion! JK!!!

Anyway, I will continue to update you all with the particulars as I learn more...thank you all for your support and well wishes!

Love each and every one of you!
J
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
This is giving me a sense of purpose again.  It's time for me to make a career change, and I want to do something that is close to my heart and allows me to pull on my strengths.

There must be something in the air Jeromy!!!!
I feel the same way as you do, I even looked into going back to school for a masters in Psychology or Social Services so I can get a "real" job with a non profit organization.  Ultimately I really want to work with senior HIV care ( there is nothing really out there for senior pozzies , they never thought we could get to be that age). 
I want to look back at my life and be proud of what I did.  For me it is not about money or material possessions (don't get me wrong, I do like what money can buy) but rather a feeling of accomplishment and knowing that I did make a positive impact in the lives of people who really need the help.
Congratulations to you, I know how excited you must be.  You make us all very proud to know you!!!!  :-*

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
There must be something in the air Jeromy!!!!
I feel the same way as you do, I even looked into going back to school for a masters in Psychology or Social Services so I can get a "real" job with a non profit organization.  Ultimately I really want to work with senior HIV care ( there is nothing really out there for senior pozzies , they never thought we could get to be that age). 
I want to look back at my life and be proud of what I did.  For me it is not about money or material possessions (don't get me wrong, I do like what money can buy) but rather a feeling of accomplishment and knowing that I did make a positive impact in the lives of people who really need the help.
Congratulations to you, I know how excited you must be.  You make us all very proud to know you!!!!  :-*

Rich

[/quout]

Thanks Rich, that was really nice of you! And enjoy each day.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »
Well, I did it!

I am officially working with the ASO to build a speakers bureau from the ground up! I had my meeting with them this past Tuesday, and we have our first meeting in January to start building the foundation. They asked me how long it would take, and I said if we are aggressive, we could probably take us 12 months to get a solid program going.

I am thrilled beyond belief and look forward to actually putting my signature on it...And we want to focus on corporate culture and government. I really believe in this, and can't wait to see it off the ground...

Our first quarter goal is to get policy and procedure written, mission statement and all that jazz, then second quarter, recruitment, content and training, third quarter: SELL, SELL, SELL!! Of course branding the hell out of it over the year as well...

Did I mention that I am doing this all volunteer? I will be working this month to draft a plan so I don't go in empty handed...but...WOW, I am very excited!!

Wish me luck!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Longislander

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 11:11:12 PM »
I love your excitement! I wish you all the success in the world! ;D ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »
as they say it here....DUDE that is so RAD!!!...I'm proud of you Jeromy...

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Javicho

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »
Jeromy, I'm very Happy and Proud of you, I know you are going to make it perfect keep us posted and I'm sure that very soon you bee on TV talking about your book, good luck and all the best for you  :-*

J.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.