POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640773
  • Total Topics: 48673
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice to my big brother  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Coffee

Advice to my big brother
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
I need my brother to have some peace of mind. He is older than I and always viewed himself as my 'big brother' like a protector against the world.

He is the typical tough guy with a big heart.

I have only known him to cry twice in his life and the last time was me telling him about my diagnosis. He is angry in the way I got infected since it was an occupational incident and secondly I think he feels that he has no way of protecting me... which technically in his mind is his job.

What would you guys tell him if you could sit him down and say... 'Let me tell you something....'?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice to my big brother
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »
I guess I'm not understanding what you want to get across to your brother.  You want to tell him something to make him instantly feel peaceful and at-ease?  One thing I learned is that I do not control other people's emotions; nor do I try.  If he's having a particularly hard time, just assure him that you will be there for him if he ever wants to talk.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
I don't know what I would say, aside from "Everything that can be done is being done."

This is something new for me. I never had a protector, nor was I a protector for anyone.

Maybe others will have a better idea.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
That a difficult one, as we each handle our emotions in our own way. We can only try to reassure them that we will cope, but on the day we flag a little, itís good to have someone there. Do you remember that 60ís song by the Hollies ď He ainít heavy, heís my brotherĒ

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:36 AM »
Shedding tears in reaction to distrubing news of a loved one is indeed a healthy and loving response.
So I say, give him a big hug--maybe have a cry with him--and let him know you are doing the best you can at this given point in time.
 :-*
Mike M

(edited: initially, only posted a fragment of intended message)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:54:35 AM by mjmel »

Offline gardner

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:15:56 AM »
Coffee

As a big brother myself I can understand his feeling of not being able to protect you.  The only advise I can give is for you to help him understand your status and understand the virus.  Using the Lessons section in this forum is a good tool for both of you.

You haven't said much about your status but perhaps "Big Brother" will feel better if he's involved with things like tracking your numbers, helping with your med schedule and even taking in a doctors visit or two.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »
I assume that when you say you contracted HIV through an occupational incident that you are in the medical profession, which I hope has given you enough knowledge and information to tell your brother all the facts about the virus. (BTW - if I am wrong, please correct me)

So now you are left with the non-factual aspects of the virus, and from that I can't suggest anything without knowing either you or your brother better.  Trust your own instincts here on what you think your brother wants to hear at this time. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.