Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Do you take/have taken zoloft/sertaline?

(1/3) > >>

cubbybear:
Hey Guys.

I am considering starting Zoloft, been in a bit of a rutt that I can't get out of, and my Dr suggested I try Zoloft for a while.  I've never taken an Anti-D, and wondered what people who've taken this have experienced before I try it.

I have usually bitten the bullet and got by on my own, but I just cant get out of this duldrum I am in/have been in for some time.

Much love.
Matt

MOONLIGHT1114:
Hi Matt~

Its been at least 5 years, but I remember starting Zoloft one day when I was home sick from work.

I took one pill and never took any again.   >:(

I went back to my doc and bitched to high hell at the side effects from just taking one dreaded pill.  I remember napping on my couch and I had to use the bathroom.  My brain told me to get up but my body wouldn't move.  The physical side effect from the drug was very overwhelming for me.

I went to my doc and said that if my house was on fire, I would've burned.  It took me over an hour with a very full bladder, to will myself off of the couch.  This was like nothing I had ever experienced.  I had never taken an anti-depressant, and after that ONE pill, I absolutely REFUSE.  I am fortunate that I can get through things without medication, but I understand its not always easy for all of us.

Ask your doc about the "catatonic" side effect of this med.  I was told not to drive or anything until I knew what effect the med had on me.  Then the doc goes and says that after 6 weeks  :o  I should be feeling better. 

I sure as hell didn't even wait a day and immediately refused to take the med ever again.  I don't mean to scare you, but for me, this was some very powerful stuff, and it just wasn't worth it to me.  Sure, you won't be as depressed when you take it, you'll be sleeping for a 100 years!  Ugh!  The entire thing pissed me off.   >:(

~ Cindy

wlmciver:
For me, Zoloft has worked wonders.  I've taken it now for 2 years.  However, when I was in the hospital this last go round, they also added psychotrpopic related meds.  I have not been happier in a very long time!  But zoloft is the base of my sanity.

Every anti-dep works a litlle differently in each person.  And like so many other drugs, after awhile I must change to something else (Paxil for 8 years, then another for a few years, and now zoloft).  Just remember staying happy and in good spirits is critical to remaning healthy.

Good Luck!

Bill

Matty the Damned:
Years back in his pre-AIDS days Matty the Damned took Zoloft for about 9 months.

It did not end well. Hateful stuff. Vicious side-effects. Naturally Papa Bear, your mileage may vary.

Baby Bear

Miss Philicia:
I recall it impacting rather significantly the ability to orgasm, and frankly that makes depression worse for me.  What's the point of living if I can't whack off once each day?

Most of the SSRI class is like that, but I recall Zoloft being far worse.  Cymbalta and Remeron for example don't do this, as they're in separate classes than SSRI's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version