Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

New single combo (Sustiva/Truvada)

(1/6) > >>

Cliff:
I'm considering going back on meds soon and I'm seriously considering trying the new single pill (once-a-day).  Are there any studies already available on comparing the new formulation to the old (or other combos)?  Is it a gamble to try it out before any significant studies can be done, or is it pretty safe to assume it will work as well as the old, separate pills?

Thanks

lydgate:
No reason to think the single-pill will work any differently than the separate formulations. Same chemicals, same doses, just more convenient is all. After all, Truvada itself was two separate drugs first, later combined for convenience.

Another example: AZT came out first, then 3TC. Combivir (AZT/3TC) is the same potency as the separate drugs. Ditto for Trizivir (AZT/3TC/ABC) and the three separate drugs.

Jay

newt:
Hey Cliff, see Fixed-dose formulation of efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC bioequivalent to separate dosing (report from the 7th International Workshop on Clinical Pharmacology of HIV Therapy, 20-22 April 2006, Lisbon witten up by Simon Collins for i-Base).  This is an early study that shows promising results for what has been a difficult co-formulation exercise.

- matt

lydgate:
Interesting. Were the same problems encountered with Combivir and Trizivir. Or with the new single pill Combivir + Viramune formulation? Jay

RAB:
Cliff

Glad to see you're checking out options.  If ease of dosing is a concern this sounds like a possibility.

(What was your 1st regimen?)

RAB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version