Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:46:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 607
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Help all experts  (Read 8928 times)

Offline jd1

Help all experts
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:31:04 pm »
I would like to thank this forum and the moderators for all the advice given. This is my first time posting here and I am new to this. I have read through the lessons on this forum and would like some advice from all experts including Andy, Ann, and Matty etc. I understand that my exposure was low risk but the partner was hiv positive that both I and he did not know at that time. My exposures consist of three different times with the same person. The first in the 3rd week of august which consisted of unprotected oral where I was receiving. Protected anal sex where I was the top. He also rubbed his penis against my butt no protection but no penetration for a few minutes. By the way I am a male. The 2nd exposure was one week after and consisted of the same. The 3rd exposure was the first week of September (again one week after the second exposure) but only consisted of unprotected oral twice within a few hours where i was the receiver again. I have never been with any other male, this was my first time, and I have never given a BJ or been penetrated. After the last exposure he found out he was hiv positive and had 2 STDs. He informed me and told me that he did have unprotected anal sex with his ex boyfriend several times and believed he was the carrier and lied to him about his status. He also tole me that everything we did was safe and not to worry. He said oral sex and "humping" was safe. Well I was in shock and got tested 4 weeks after the last exposure with Elisa test and also STDs testing. The results were negative. I then tested again at 7 weeks with the pcr DNA test and Elisa test and urine test (complete urinalyses) which were all negative. I then tested at 9 weeks with Elisa which was negative. My concern is that I understand these are low risks but the partner was hiv positive. Also, the unprotected oral receiving because I do use clippers on my penis and scrotum and I do get razor cuts occasionally. It would be a couple of hours before the events obviously so it would not be bleeding actively. Also, the risk from frottage since I do have a habit of wiping my rear with a lot of tissue paper that sometimes causes paper cuts since I sometimes see streaks of blood on the paper due to wiping hard and  with a lot of paper (sorry to be graphic) again this would be a couple of hours before the events. I would like some input from the experts since this has been like hell for me and just want to get on with my life. I have had no fever, no sore throat at all. The only thing i have is a tongue with coating where there is white stuff in the back but this could be normal and been there all the time. I showed my doctor and dentist but they were not concerned about it! I need help? Can you tell me if I need further testing or is the 9 weeks conclusive. I'm worried that it will be positive now! I would welcome any advice from the experts...please

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Help all experts
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:38:04 pm »
JD,

I appreciate your concerns given that your sexual partner is HIV positive, but there is nothing that you report which would have placed you at risk of being infected.

Protected anal sex is just that, protected. And receiving a blow job, even from a poz bod, is not a risk in terms of HIV transmission. Which is why your test results are returning negative results.

I must tell you however that PCR testing is not approved for diagnostic purposes. It can return false positive results.

In my opinion you do not need any further testing, you are HIV negative. Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:55:50 pm »
Thanks Matty for your fast response I appreciate it... Have you ever seen or heard about negative Elisa test at 9 weeks turn positive?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:05 pm »
Given that all but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within  4-6 weeks after an exposure, a positive result after 9 weeks is very, very rare.

I expect you to continue to test negative.

All of this is really moot in relation to your situation since you didn't have any real risk to begin with. So testing is strictly for your peace of mind and not because it's indicated.
Andy Velez

Offline jd1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:11:10 pm »
Thanks Andy for your response. I greatly appreciate it. I am trying to get my mind off this but the last weeks have been like hell. My doctor was worried about me and said I'm having anxiety disorder and gave me a refferal to see a counselor.  I have not called yet because I want to do another test next week like a home rapid test. If negative it will be of some comfort.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:13:29 pm »
Actually JD, I'd recommend you 86 the rapid test and go and see the counselor you've been referred to.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:32:14 pm »
Hi Matty

I will go see the counsellor because of all this. I am not on any meds and told my doc that I didn't need any anxiety pills because I think I can get over this without pills. I have a question for all experts....since the person I was with was hiv positive with 2STDs....wouldn't it be easier to catch the STDs rather than hiv since its more fragile or vice verse? If indeed it is harder to get hiv than STDs than my chances after 9 weeks are slim since I did get std testing after a month and was negative? I guess my question would be in order for me to get hiv I would have to get the STDs also from this person? Since he did have chlamydia and I think herpes.

thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 08:43:13 pm »
JD,

Infections such as chlamydia and herpes are more transmissible than HIV and yes, it would be wise for you to be tested for those. In fact you might wish to consider a full STD screen excluding an HIV test, since we've already ruled that out.

Genital herpes is generally diagnosed by isolating the virus from lesions should they appear. Chlamydia is diagnosed by urine testing and throat swabbing. It is possible to transmit chlamydia via unprotected oral sex either way. Please note that chlamydia is often asymptomatic but is entirely curable with a single dose of antibiotics.

In fact all sexually active adults should have a full STD screen at least once a year. Twice is better. You should raise this with your doctor.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:55:28 pm »
Matty and all experts

I'm a little confused. Do you want me to test again for STDs? I already had a test for STDs 17 days after the last exposure. I thought it was for all STDs. They took urine sample and did a swab on the penis for chlamydia/gc. They drew blood too but this could have been for hiv. The tests were neg. Is 17 days from last exposure too soon to test for STDs?

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:58:44 pm »
Sorry JD, my misreading there.

No, you don't need to test again for the other STDs.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 04:11:12 pm »
Hi all experts

I'm just worried about the white stuff on the back of my tongue and the front and middle of the tongue is like soapy saliva. The saliva is more soapy than clear. The tongue is pink not red. Just wondering your advice since I surfed on the net and found it could be candida...which is related to hiv...
Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:12:29 pm »
JD,

Well why don't you show your tongue to your doctor? Diagnoses cannot be made over the internet.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 04:17:39 pm »
Hi

I did show the doctor last week and he said it was fine.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 04:22:53 pm »
Then it was fine. What more do you need to know? He is a doctor after all.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:28 pm »
Hi all

Yeah but that was last week and he looked at it quickly. My question is if this is a sign of seroconversion?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 07:21:52 pm »
Your doctor isn't going to lie to you. If he would have seen a concern he would have told you.

Offline jd1

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 09:48:37 pm »
Hi Matty, Rapidrod

I just came back from the doctor's to show my tongue and he said it was fine. No thrush or candida??? Everyone seems its fine except me.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 10:03:43 pm »
Are you a frigging doctor? Are you?

Coz if you're not (and I feel confident in assuming that you ain't) then you wouldn't know candida if it bit you on the butt.

If your doctor (a highly trained clinical and scientific professional) says you don't have candida then you don't.

Get over it.

MtD

Offline jd1

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 11:22:59 pm »
I'm sorry for being overly cautious but i just cant help thinking that my 9 week negative might turn pos.

Offline jd1

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40:29 pm »
Hi all
Would appreciate some comments from Ann, Anniebc

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:13 pm »
jd,

The reason the only person who thinks your tongue doesn't look right is you is because you're looking at it through the lens of hiv - needlessly.

You haven't had a risk and your nine week negative result is not going to change. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jd1

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
Hi
Ann, I just saw your post. Thanks , you are right but I cant help looking in the mirror at the tongue numerous times a day. It gets worse late night (early morning). Anyway, before reading your post I could not take the anxiety so I drove 40 minutes to get a 20 minute oraquick test where she pricked my finger. The result was negative. How accurate are these 20 minute test and this would be 78 days since last exposure (6 more days till 12 weeks or will it be 12/04/07 since last exposure was 9/04/07? By the way the hiv counselor told me that the pcr DNA is 99.9% accurate in the window period? The internet says otherwise.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 06:05:57 am »
jd,

Keep testing all you like, your result is not going to change over this incident. You ARE hiv negative. You didn't have a risk and your test result is conclusive.

PCR DNA tests are NOT approved for diagnostic purposes - you don't need PCR testing as you are hiv negative. Keep using condoms and you'll stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jd1

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 07:07:30 pm »
Hi Ann, Andy

I'm sorry to bother you guys again but I have a question. I was doing fine for a few days (staying off the internet). Yesterday late night, I noticed my mouth went dry and saw that my tongue was white again. I am worried now thinking that since this is my last week for the 12 week mark the hiv infection might be happening. I tested neg. at 11 weeks. How likely is it too happen in the last week(12 week mark)? Or is a 11 week and 12 week the same? Is is a proven fact? I'm sorry for asking these questions but i am worrying and getting tired too. I would appreciate your comments...
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 07:15:01 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:19:21 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 09:07:53 pm »
jd,

Like your test results, our answers are not going to change no matter how many times you ask or re-phrase. You did not have a risk for hiv infection. You are not in a window period. You have tested conclusively negative for hiv. You ARE hiv negative.

Please re-read Rodney's quote (above) from our posting guidelines and consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jd1

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:27 pm »
Hi Guys
I just wanted to thank Ann, Andy, Matty, and Rapid Rod for all the help they have given to me during the last few weeks. Not only to me but the valuable service they all provide to others. I tested at 12 and 13 weeks and as you all predicted it was negative. I know you all said I didn't need to test further but being a"worried well"  I had to do it for my own sake and peace of mind since all websites say 3 months. I guess now I can forget about the whole thing and carry on with my life returning to normality. I will stay of the internet since this only increased my anxiety. I may test at the 6 month mark one more time. All in all, I wanted to say that this forum, your advice, and the information provided by this site was very, very helpful. keep up the good work and thanks to all the experts again.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
I may test at the 6 month mark one more time.

JD,

If you really want to put this behind you I suggest that you work towards not testing at 6 months. It simply isn't necessary and allows those niggling doubts to persist in the back of your mind. Eventually they return to you, you return to us and it all gets very unpleasant.

The reality is that you were never going to test positive because you were not infected in the first place. The best thing you can do is find a counselor or therapist who can help you work towards the goal of not testing in 6 months because of this non-risk.

It's up to you to break the crazy no risk testing cycle.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.