POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 09:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647548
  • Total Topics: 49343
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 138
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 4 transplants infected with HIV...  (Read 1555 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
4 transplants infected with HIV...
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »

Four transplant patients infected with HIV in Chicago area

Story :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21770889/?GT1=10547

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 8/25/14,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline CowboyPOZ

Re: 4 transplants infected with HIV...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:22:02 AM »
Humans make errors. With this said, how in the world does this happen in this day and age of the 20 minute stick tests? I was shocked it could happen.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:50:24 AM »
Another day in the media's obsession with fear-mongering. The hysteria all becaus eof this fuck up and HIV being the disease de jour to make people run in fear. next thing they'll tell us the transplant screening team members are allpart of Al Qaeda. Thousands of fuck-ups a day in the hospital - and this is going to be the Larry King special for thenext week. Sigh.

Mike
(who, on occasion, loathes the media)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
Initial tests on the donor for HIV, hepatitis and other conditions came back negative, most likely because the donor had acquired the infections in the last three weeks before death.

A matter of bad timing, I suppose. A similar thing happened in Italy about half a year ago, but the transplant receivers were put on PEP immediately after the mistake was noticed, shortly after the surgery. Dunno if it was any helpful. But I agree with Mike, as soon as HIV is involved, medical fuck-ups get an extraordinary touch. >:(

My doc advised me to destroy my organ donor pass when I was diagnosed. Instead, now I carry a laminated emergency card describing my meds. Still, there's always a risk that things go awry.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »
From what I've read and heard, it doesn't appear to be a "hospital fuck up", but rather a case of bad timing.  Apparently all of the donor's tests came back negative.  Perhaps he was newly infected.  I am not up on all of the tests performed on an organ donor, but it sounds like they are only doing antibody tests.  Perhaps that needs to change, if it is the case.

Of course, it could be a major fuck up and people are trying to cover their asses.

As for getting all upset about the media blowing this up -- I've stopped getting upset about the media.  As long as people read and discuss stories, the media will continue doing what they do.  I don't think that it is only HIV/AIDS stories that get more press than they should -- think about MRSA, bird flu, Ebola outbreaks, or even Britney Spears and others of her ilk -- we all are just more sensitive to the HIV/AIDS stories.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
Had a poz clinic appt. this a.m. and this was the topic du jour with my nurse. He had another perspective or two. First, the technology exists that would have allowed the surgeons to have tested prior to surgery but that most don't have it because of the expense. And second, which is more to the point overall, the recipient patient is the one who assumes the risk. My nurse said, were it his personal decision as recipient, he'd take the organ ('cause that's so often NOT available) and deal with the HIV if it were to occur. His contention is that the organ availability, surgery and post-surgery are bigger hurdles than the HIV.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »
A great number of HIV positive people still list themselves as "organ donors" on their driver's licenses because it costs you half as much if you say you'll be a donor...and many are scratching by on disability and having to save cash at any turn they can. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.