POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 10:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631513
  • Total Topics: 47804
  • Online Today: 279
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: RESISTANT TO EVERYTHING (FELIX) NEWT NEED YOUR HELP!  (Read 2069 times)

Offline blondbeauty

RESISTANT TO EVERYTHING (FELIX) NEWT NEED YOUR HELP!
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
I am going now to Felix's house. He is very depressed. The resistance tests showed he is resistant to every single med. They added Norvir to his treatment of Sustiva and Truvada.
He will start taking a new antiretroviral in 3 weeks. One that is not approved yet in Europe. The hospital is going to bring it from the USA for him. I don't know yet which medication it is...we just spoke through the phone and is very nervous and upset. Ill take a look at the paperwork from the hospital and post it here.
 :-\
Thank you all for your help.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: RESISTANT TO EVERYTHING (FELIX) NEWT NEED YOUR HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
They did what?  ??? ??? ???

The mutation data please.

Hug too  :)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:13:03 PM »
You've got a lot of people reading this, wondering what's going on and hoping for the best.....

robert

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
We donīt have the mutation data. I got it wrong, they did not put him on Norvir. They added Videx. In three weeks he will be on Maraviroc, Isentress (these 2 in an expanded access program) and Prezista. I donīt understand very well the decision of adding Videx at this point. But they took this decision in a "crisis meeting" at the hospital.  His VL is still above 100.000 copies (having started the 1st of august). They didnīt give him the mutation data list.
Thanks for your help. We are now going out to buy a pair of earphones for his computer and have somethig to eat.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »
It would be better just to stop everything. There's no point taking drugs that are doing nowt. This is essentially ddI monotherapy and therefore will lead to further nuke resistance. Though perhaps not in 3 weeks.

All 3 new drugs? Prezista + Insentress + 1 or 2 or 3 nukes is prob enough/workable.

Maraviroc: requires a tropism (CCR5) test first ie Trofile. Do not use without. It's pointless using it against non-CCR5 type virus.

I really would like to see the mutation data esp on PIs and nukes.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »
I hope and pray things will work out asap. So sorry to hear this.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
Thank you Matt. Today he had 8 tubes of blood drawn to see if maraviroc is going to work. He is going to ask for the mutation profile on the next visit.  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
Presista, Isentress and Truvad have thus far performed very well together for multiple resistance patients.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:13 PM »
Thank you Philly. We went out, ate pancakes with plenty of strawberry syrup, strawberry milkshakes... and went shopping: earphones, a new keyboard, sweaters, etc. He is feeling better now.  :)
Thank you all for your great help. I wish I could post the mutations here. maybe in 3 weeks time. He is not very sure if Prezista is going to be one of the meds (he can't remember clearly but it is the only name it sounds familiar to him because he was too nervous during the appointment with the Dr). The only thing I know for sure is the paperwork he was carrying: he had the copies of the authorisations he had to sign for Maraviroc and Isentress...and maraviroc depends on the results of the next tests.
What he knows for sure is that he was told that he got the HIV strain from someone who had been treated with everything.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »
Matt makes very good points, RE:

1. Throwing videx to an already failing regimen (with the virus resistant to all 3 meds) does not make sense.  It will induce more nuke resistance.  An option while waiting is to stay on lamivudine alone or stop the meds if his CD4 count is reasonably high.  Something to discuss with the doc.

2. Being resistant to all 3 drugs (Sustiva + Truvada) does not mean he is resistant to all nukes (unless he had acquired other nuke resistance from the initial infection).  For instance, a K103N, M184V and K65R would produce resistance to Sustiva + Truvada but this pattern makes AZT + lamivudine useful if it can be combined with other active drugs (such as boosted PI & Isentress).

Did he have baseline resistance testing before the meds were started?

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »
I was resistant to all drugs and spent several years in trials and three years off drugs. My VL was between 5000 and 100000(and finally a Million), most of time till last year when I started on Prezista. Prezista is a miracle. No sides. Let me repeat that,NO SIDES! This is the longest I have ever been on a drug without resistance issues.

I had Drs. tell me I might as well stop because of resistance but recently in my last regimen they had some new studies that indicated taking drugs you were resistant too was better than nothing at all.  I guess they had a point , if you are already resistant to everything,how bad can it fuck you up?

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
Gerry and Jack i agree with both of. What is the pint of putting him on Videx? But on the other hand his CD4 count has increased on 150 in 4 months on treatment. Anyway I was unable to go with him to the Dr. I will try to be there next time and post all the information here.
Thank you!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.