Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

My plumbing needs fixing

(1/2) > >>

J.R.E.:
 >:(

I called a plumber yesterday, to get an estimate on replacing the 17 year old hot water tank. There is so much corrosion, that the hot water barely trickles out, which makes showering quite a pain in the rump.

To purchase a new tank, and have it installed, would cost 950.00.  A big, big OUCH, and way out of line !!

I have installed these before myself, I have been feeling a little under the weather lately, but for 950.00, I think I am not so under the weather.

I will go to HOMO depot, buy the tank and install it myself.... :P The only problem is the space this short tank has to go in.  I will be bent and twisted like a pretzel... I will manage.. 8)

Ray

RAB:
$950 for a darn hot water heater?  YIKES!   :o

You're braver than I am in trying to install it yourself though.  (gas or electric?).

Good luck Ray  (Who might need a chiropractor/masseuse after the project is over)

RAB

Lwood:
Can I have the  worn out 17 year old Hottie ? ( just couldnt resist)    You may want to get ahold of a Handyman service if you run into anything you cant do, Ive used Handyman Connection with pretty good results and they usually are less than a Tradesman, Id suggest doing absolutely everything you can yourself in order to cut down on labor. Dont be afraid to throw some burgers on the Barbie, or some crab in the pot or beer in the fridge or whatever, and invite some friends over for a hand... at least in taking the old one out and getting the newbie into its spot...
Think of it as the indoor plumbing version of a Barn Raising...

Sdgirl:
Uh oh.................be careful!  I worked for Sears for 6 years and was in charge of the contractors who installed water heaters.  It is not as easy as you think it is and you also need a permit and an inspection done..........I know that sounds like a lot of money, and it is.................but trust me when I say it is not a slam dunk!  Might want to re-think that decision.  If not, good luck!  You can always call 1-800-4-MY-HOME, that's Sears and they can help you find a plumber in your area if you get into a pinch!

Lisa

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: RAB on July 09, 2006, 09:04:38 AM ---$950 for a darn hot water heater?  YIKES!   :o

You're braver than I am in trying to install it yourself though.  (gas or electric?).

Good luck Ray  (Who might need a chiropractor/masseuse after the project is over)

RAB

--- End quote ---

Yep, thats exactly what I said. when the plumber quoted $950.00.   I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night !! :P  I have installed many hot water tanks through the years. so none of this is new to me. I have all the proper tools for the job. Just have to get some more propane, for sweating the joints together.

It's an electric tank, so there is no problem with making the electrical connections. I have all the proper electrical meters etc. And I  am going up to a forty gallon tank from a thirty gallon. There is no need to change the current circuit breakers out in the box or do any rewiring.

I did a fast check on line today. I can get a 40 gallon tank for less then 300.00.

I have vacation starting this Friday, so hopefully I will have it completed sometime Saturday. No rush ! Ed, ( my partner) suggested I change it out. When I told him I was going to do it, he kind of gave me that eyeball look of his. What he was actually saying was " I don't want any tantrums !! ;D

I like doing these projects... Makes me feel useful. The dishwasher is next to go.

Lwood you can have the worn out 17 year old hottie ! I warn ya, it's short and stubby, and a little crusty ;)

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version