Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

SAM-e

(1/1)

madbrain:
Is anyone taking SAM-e (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine) supplements to help with depression/mood ?
If so, have you found that it works, and how much are you taking ?

Andy Velez:
Mad, have you begun trying it? And are you taking anything else via prescription for depression, and if so, how's that going?

madbrain:

--- Quote from: Andy Velez on November 09, 2007, 11:41:48 AM ---Mad, have you begun trying it? And are you taking anything else via prescription for depression, and if so, how's that going?

--- End quote ---

No, I haven't tried it. I saw the warnings about bipolar and taking SSRIs.
I still would like to know if anyone else is using it.

dgr20002:
Hi,

I heard about SAM-e a few months back and asked my HIV Doc about it and he said he didn't know a lot about it but more than likely it would be a waste of time.

Of course your mileage may vary.

David

madbrain:

--- Quote from: dgr20002 on November 18, 2007, 12:22:48 AM ---Hi,

I heard about SAM-e a few months back and asked my HIV Doc about it and he said he didn't know a lot about it but more than likely it would be a waste of time.

Of course your mileage may vary.

David

--- End quote ---

I started on some 3mg melatonin before bedtime a week ago, and this has definitely helped me get to sleep quickly (in an hour or less), where no prescription has ever been able to do that before. I have been through a few, most recent one being restoril (temazepam), which worked very inconsistently - for the first few days, and then not anymore, and not before at least 2 hours after taking it. My understanding is that the benzodiazepines are addictive and your body grows tolerance to it and you need more.
Which might be fine if all you need is a short-term sleep boost. But it's not fine at all for me since I tend to shift my sleep hours 2+ hours every day, it's like I live on a 26 hour day or so. Now that I have figured out how to get to sleep, I still need to figure out how to get up consistently, but going to bed at a reasonable time goes a long way to being able to wake up in the morning (as opposed to the afternoon). Of course it's only been one week, maybe I will grow tolerance to melatonin too . Sure hope not !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version