POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23745
  • Latest: Peter1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642910
  • Total Topics: 48912
  • Online Today: 250
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Bloody  (Read 1461 times)

Offline geoff

Bloody
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »
Hello

My name is Geoff from Kenya.  What a great site, I am so glad I came across it.  I hope you guys can help me with my situation.  I have searched your archives for my situation, but it seems mine is different in its own way. I am a university student studying in Nairobi, Kenya.  I'll get right down to the incident:
My roommate Andrew is a homosexual male and he is HIV positive.  I am a heterosexual male and HIV negative.  Andrew is a real genuine person.  He has found who he is already and I admire him so much because of that and especially how he handles himself in a country that is extremely homophobic.  I will not lie here and say that I was not homophobic.  I was just as narrow minded as my country on homosexuals.  Until I met Andrew, he has taught me a lot about life, love, struggles, and being who you want to be.  I have grown to love him in spite of the constant hatred displayed to him by others.  I get so upset for what he has to go through on a daily basis, all I can do is be a good friend to him and tell others who Andrew really is.

October 30th -  Andrew and I decided to go watch a movie at the movie theatres in downtown Nairobi.  About 100 metres from the theatres, 5 guys jumped us.  They were university students as well, and started cursing homophobic slurs to my friend. These 5 guys then attacked Andrew and beat him pretty badly.  The attackers did not even touch me they just threatened me that Id be next and unleashed pure hatred on Andrew,  and I couldn't do anything about it.  This lasted for a good 8 minutes.....I got the guys to leave him alone by pleading and begging.  When I looked at my roommate, he was cut up, bleeding profusely from his mouth, nose, chin.....practically his whole face was covered in blood.  I got him to stand up and he leaned forward, he was basically hugging me while standing.  Meanwhile those 5 guys returned to sound off again.  So now this is the incidence:   While Andrew was hugging me, he had a clear view of these attackers. He took his head off of my shoulders.......and started screaming at the 5 people.  While he was screaming and shouting, I was holding him back while he was trying to go through me to get to his attackers.  As he was screaming and shouting (and my face was directly infront of his) his blood from his mouth and whole face hit my face and my eyes.  His blood hit my eyes: not my eyelashes, not my eyelids, his blood was hitting my eyeballs. And it was not 1 drop, it was 3 to 4 spit loads as he was screaming to those 5 guys.  And these spit loads came into my eyes with ferocious velocity.
After Andrew calmed down, I put him aside and took off my shirt and wiped my face down, and their was a sizeable amount of blood left on my shirt and my eye didn't seem like it was normal or functioning normal because it was covered in blood.  From that point Andrew and I walked back to our dormitory.  We got home and I looked at my face in the mirror, and I could see blood in my eye, just like how I felt it, and I freaked out because this was the first opportunity I had to see myself in the mirror.  From that point I rinsed my eyes and just went to bed.  By now it is 4 pm.  I just jumped into my bed and wanted to pretend that none of this had happened.  I kept on telling myself, that this is a dream, this is a dream.  I woke up at 10 pm  with the actual sense that nothing had really happened.  Andrew was fast asleep and I thought wow thank God it was all a dream.  So I want back to bed.  1 hour later I woke up again and decided to masturbate.  I got some cream that was next to my bed and masturbated.....when I finished I got up to wash my hands.....I turned the light on in the bathroom and when i look down I saw my fingers had blood on them and blood on some parts of my penis shaft and head.  I couldn't believe my eyes, but that is what I saw.  Blood on my masturbating fingers and blood on parts of my penis.  I quickly cleaned my hands and penis with soap, and then I cried.  I felt so helpless. Andrew woke up hearing me sob, and he came in the bathroom and hugged me.  He let me know that everything that happened earlier was not a dream, he showed me his stitches and bandages he got from the hospital. And I sobbed and sobbed.  Psychologically from that day I've been dead.  I can not eat, sleep, drink, or think without thinking of HIV.  Andrew said their is no way I would catch HIV through this situation because their is some substance in the eyes that act like saliva which renders HIV non viable and their has never been a documented case of getting infected through the eyes.  And for the masturbating, he said that the blood was outside the body and therefore non infectious. I hope he's right.

Andy, Ann, Jkin, Rapid, Thunter, Mattythedamned -  You people are so knowledgable on the subject.  Did I have a risk of getting HIV here? If so do you recommend PEP or is it too late - today is my second day.
Also if I should get tested when? is 12 weeks conclusive?  If all this happed on October 30, 2007 @ 11 pmthen I test on January 30, 2007 @ 11pm?

Please help.

Geoff

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Bloody
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
Geoff, I would consider the blood spattering to your eyes as a theoretical risk rather than actual. Since you're within the 72 hour limit necessary to consider using PEP, I suggest you go to your local hospital and tell them what happened. Let a doctor there decide whether PEP is appropriate.

As for the blood on your penis which you were unaware of when you masturbated, I don't see any risk for transmission in that situation.
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
Geoff,

I agree with Andy. A blood splash to the eye is a theoretical risk rather than a real one and whether or not your should test as result of this (let alone take PEP) is matter for you and your doctor. If testing is what you feel you need to do, then by all means go ahead.

As for having some blood on your penis when you masturbated I also agree with Andy when he calls no risk.

Regards,

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »
Geoff

I can't add anymore than what the guys have already said..I just wanted to say that I'm sorry your friend had such a dreadful experience at the hands of those idiots, I'm glad you were there for him and I hope that this incident will not affect your friendship, sounds to me that he needs a good friend right now.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.