POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:57:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23733
  • Latest: vrocky
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642804
  • Total Topics: 48898
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advise on exercise programs/classes/ trainers in the NY area  (Read 952 times)

Offline seekingtruth75

Advise on exercise programs/classes/ trainers in the NY area
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:27:25 AM »
Hey out there -
Does anyone have any good reccomendations for exercise classes or programs (or personal trainers that have experience with HIV+ clients) to share. I am member of Equinox here and I am really new again to the exercise routine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What works best for your overall mental and physical well being?

* oh and do i need to be extra safe when at the gym..ie wearing gloves/ using hand sanitizer/ sandals in the shower etc. I am just about to start treatment (Atripla) and think that it might be best not to be in a very germ-friendly environements for a while. Last test had CD4s at 75, and VL above 100,000.
Found out + on 4.20.07

4.20.07       CD4s 200     VL 37182
5.25.07       CD4s 242     VL 84000
7.17.07       CD4s 217     VL >100000
8.24.07       CD4s 118     VL 45303
10.05.07     CD4s 75       VL >100000
11.06.07     CD4s 60       VL 50361
12.05.07     CD4s 70       VL 55306
started Atripla on New Years Eve
1.21.08       CD4s 65       VL 435
2.28.08       CD4s 51       VL undetectable

Offline Iggy

Re: Advise on exercise programs/classes/ trainers in the NY area
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:34:58 AM »
You may want to ask at both the GLBT center and GMHC for suggestions.

I do ask you to be careful of being too worried of everything being sort of in HIV harmony.  Your questions about gloves/sanitizers and germs are not going to be handeled much differently than someone who doesn't know their status.

BTW Equinox has some great trainers in general.

Offline seekingtruth75

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
Yeah i dont mean to come across as a newbie but I'm starved for knowledge. Is it smart to tell a trainer that you are +, can they tailor the routine around your particular needs?
Found out + on 4.20.07

4.20.07       CD4s 200     VL 37182
5.25.07       CD4s 242     VL 84000
7.17.07       CD4s 217     VL >100000
8.24.07       CD4s 118     VL 45303
10.05.07     CD4s 75       VL >100000
11.06.07     CD4s 60       VL 50361
12.05.07     CD4s 70       VL 55306
started Atripla on New Years Eve
1.21.08       CD4s 65       VL 435
2.28.08       CD4s 51       VL undetectable

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:07:36 AM »
I think it is wise to tell the trainer that of any health concerns you have as part of your training program.  I just am not sure if at this stage you are going to have any particular training needs in relation to HIV.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »
I don't blame you for being cautious --- gyms are breeding grounds for nasty germs (especially now with that MERSA shit.)

I do one hour of cardio running everyday OR I bike ride through the park. Just start switching over to the tread mill because Fall has finally arrived.

Then I do free wieghts to maintain my guns, but not to get super-bulky. About a half hour.

You don't have to over kill yourself. Get a manageaable routine and stick with it.

Good luck!
Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.