Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Lipodistrophy induced Type II Diabetes

(1/3) > >>

SteveA:
Well it's been 4 months now since I received my new diagnosis of Diabetes caused by the Lipodistrophy caused by the protease inhibitors. Am I the only one here with this new fun addition to my life? I've been POZ since 1987. Retired since 1997 when I had MAC and a viral load over 3.5 million with 7 T-Cells I lovingly referred to as the Seven Dwarves.

The funny thing is, the first I heard of HIV patients converting to diabetic was from my Social Security Medicaid Spenddown case worker and nothing from my Doctor! WTF!?!? If this is common with folks who have Lipodistrophy, why aren't our Doctors telling us? I could have been watching my sugar intake much earlier if I'd known.

Any who, Just needed to vent that. As Marvin the paranoid android from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was always saying, "I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed. <sigh> Maybe I'll just go sit in the corner and rust!"

redhotmuslbear:
Steve,
Type II diabetes has been seen among HIVers on PIs for at least ten years... yes, virtually since they were introduced.  Insulin resistance was one of the reasons I didn't want to stick with the class of drugs when I started HAART in 1998, and I was showing signs myself when I got off the class in 2000

Check out NATAP  www.natap.org and Project Inform www.projectinform.org for articles on the topic.  Search on "insulin" as well as "diabetes"

Please, just don't print all of the material and beat your doctor with it, as tempting as that may be.

Cheers,
David

aztecan:
I knew some meds could cause this in some people, but have not found a great deal of information discussing it.

Sorry you have run into this Steve. How are you treating it? Are you on insulin yet or are you controlling it in other ways like medications or diet?

I monitor my blood sugar level regularly, along with my lipids, because I have been on PIs for all but two months of the past 11.5 years.

So far, I have been lucky.

As for your doc not talking to you about it, I don't know what to say. What did he say?

HUGS,

Mark

AlanBama:
Hi Steve,

I've been fortunate enough to "dodge this bullet" but a couple of my good friends have not been so lucky.   I know how much it complicates their lives, and their treatment issues.

Wishing you the best....

Alan

SteveA:
Well the only thing I can say at this point is my current Doctor probably assumed that the first Doctor I had that put me on PI's talked to me about the side effects but she didn't. Neither did the next doctor I had after her. I find that most Doctors don't even bring up the side effects these days. I think they all expect you to read the inserts that come with the medicines! Yeah, and I'm gonna read my VCR's owner's manual too! NOT!

Luckily I've been able to get my sugar levels managed by dropping Soda for naturally sweetened Ice Tea. I found a non-sugar sweetener called Stivea which comes from the leaves of an herb my mom grows in her garden. My diet other than too many sweet drinks was just fine. Thankfully I haven't had to start any med's for the diabetes, but i did also join the YMCA to start swimming laps and working out. Just finding the motivation to do that though is the fun part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version